It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Muscle weakness in my legs

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-17-2017, 07:50 PM   #1
    BuggysMimi72
    (female)

BuggysMimi72 HB User
    Muscle weakness in my legs

Just wondering if someone could give a little insight into how long it's gonna take me feel strong enough to stand and do things on my feet without feeling like my legs could give out at anytime? I had a Level 3 ACDF with Hardware April 7th 2017 it's now been 3 months and feel like I'm getting weaker by the Dr at not stronger. When can 8 expect to start feeling normal again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2017, 06:34 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Muscle weakness in my legs

Where specifically is the fusion...which cervical levels? Did you have weakness in your legs prior to the surgery? Do you know if you had cord compression or myelomalacia?

Old 07-18-2017, 06:29 PM   #3
    BuggysMimi72
    (female)

BuggysMimi72 HB User

C4-C7, yes I did have a little before the fusion but not as much as now. Compression of the nerves.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:06 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I would call your surgeon's office. It may be that there is inflammation is surrounding tissue that is pressing on the nerve, causing the leg symptoms...or something is pressing into the spinal cord causing the same issue. They may want to give you an oral steroid to reduce swelling, if that is what is going on.

Your legs should not feel more weak from the surgery. It is normal to have some weakness...to feel a lack of energy all over...but this sounds like more than the customary amount.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #5
    BuggysMimi72
    (female)

BuggysMimi72 HB User

Thank you my next appt is the 24th with MY PCP and then on the 25th with my Surgeon. I do appreciate greatly you response.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:43 PM   #6
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I hope your surgeon will have some answers for you. Please let us know!

Old 07-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #7
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'm not sure if it is the same for cervical fusions, but I, and most people I know how have had lumbar fusions, agree that in order to feel " normal again" it takes a year. There is usually enough improvement by six months that people feel mostly normal, but it takes a good year for energy levels to return and to get rid of that tired feeling.

Your leg weakness is something else...and is often a sign that nerves of the spinal cord are being compressed. So be sure to ask your surgeon about the leg weakness!

Closed Thread