It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Help me understand MRI results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-19-2017, 05:50 PM   #1
    Warriorfor5
    (female)

Warriorfor5 HB User
    Question Help me understand MRI results

Hello everyone,

I just had an MRI done last week and these are the results. I need help understanding what it means. As I had my C5-C6 fused a year ago in May, what does all this mean to me now? Does it appear as if it's surgery time already?

It is greatly effecting my right shoulder down to my right hand. Besides the intense pain when turning head either way, I also can barely put my head backwards without feeling as if my spine went through my brain.

Impression reads as follows:
    **Minimal anterolisthesis of C3 over C4 and moderate to severe left facet disease, with resulting moderate to severe left foraminal stenosis.
    **Moderate left foramina narrowing at C4-C5.
    **Status post anterior fusion at C5-C6, with moderate to severe bilateral foraminal stenosis, worse on the left.
    **Patent central canal throughout the cervical spine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2017, 08:11 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Help me understand MRI results

Welcome to the board. The good news is that the central canal is not narrowed.

Stenosis means narrowing. It happens primarily in two places in the spine: the central canal and the foramina. The foramen is an opening located at each vertebral level where the spinal nerve exits the spinal canal to go out to the area of the body it innervates. When "something" (like a disc bulge, osteophyte, enlarged joint, etc.) gets in the way, it can cause the opening to become blocked or indented or narrowed, which puts pressure on the nerve as it passes through the opening. This causes pain and symptoms at the location of the narrowing or any place along the path of the nerve. (The cause of the radiating pain that goes down your arm...).

At C3-4 there is facet disease that is causing enlargement of the joint, primarily on the left side that is narrowing the foraminal opening. It is described as moderate to severe --this on a scale that follows: minimal, mild, moderate, severe.

Moderate foraminal narrowing at C4-5.

At the level where you were fused, there is moderate to severe narrowing of the foraminal opening on both sides, but worse on the left.

This does nothing to explain why your pain is on the RIGHT side! Nothing in the MRI explains that....hmmm.

Closed Thread

Tags
    ankylosing spondylitis, cervical spine pain, degenerative disc disease, diagnostic imaging, foraminal stenosis