It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Right hand numb after cervical spine surgery (VERY WORRIED)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-19-2017, 05:32 AM   #1
    Numb right hand
    (female)

Numb right hand HB User
    Right hand numb after cervical spine surgery (VERY WORRIED)

About a month ago I noticed that my right thumb, index and middle finger pads (under my nail's) were numb. As the day's went on my whole hand became numb. I went to my PCP and he odered a Nerve Conduction Study which was normal. So I made a appointment with my pain mamagement dr who is in with my back surgeon's office. He started me on Gabapentin and ordered a MRI. After I had the MRI they sent me back up to the dr's office. NO NECK PAIN AT ALL. The pain management dr and the surgeon came in and said that I needed Cervical discectomy fusion anterior multilevel revision of C4-C7 ACDF. I had previous neck surgery in 2010 cause I sneezed 4time's ande herniated 2 disc. But I haven't had any problem's with that surgery since I had it. Anyway I went to surgery 2 day's after my MRI with my right hand numb. Today 09-19-17 it is still numb. It doiesn't feel as swollen when I make a fist but it is is numb. I can move my finger's but it feel's like needle's and pin's and I can't rely on my right hand to pick anything up. I am SOOOOOOOO scared that I won't get the feeling back in my hand. I am a seamstress and I need my right hand to do my work. Any word's of wisdom for me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2017, 07:04 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Right hand numb after cervical spine surgery (VERY WORRIED)

Welcome to the board. I'm sorry your symptoms were not relieved right after surgery. I imagine your surgeon has been telling you that it can take time for the nerves to heal after they have been compressed, and after the trauma of the surgery itself.

How long ago was the surgery? Oh, I see, about one month ago? You may still have some swelling going on which could be enough to continue the symptoms of numbness. Have you spoken to the surgeon about this, and your concerns?
    They might be able to give you a steroid medication like prednisone to reduce swelling, if that is a possibility of a cause of your symptoms.

Otherwise, all I can say is to give it time and try to stay calm and positive. The best healing occurs when we are calm and relaxed!

With my lumbar surgery, it took about 18 months for my numbness to come out of my toes and feet.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #3
    Numb right hand
    (female)

Numb right hand HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teteri66 View Post
    Welcome to the board. I'm sorry your symptoms were not relieved right after surgery. I imagine your surgeon has been telling you that it can take time for the nerves to heal after they have been compressed, and after the trauma of the surgery itself.

How long ago was the surgery? Oh, I see, about one month ago? You may still have some swelling going on which could be enough to continue the symptoms of numbness. Have you spoken to the surgeon about this, and your concerns?
    They might be able to give you a steroid medication like prednisone to reduce swelling, if that is a possibility of a cause of your symptoms.

Otherwise, all I can say is to give it time and try to stay calm and positive. The best healing occurs when we are calm and relaxed!

With my lumbar surgery, it took about 18 months for my numbness to come out of my toes and feet.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:10 AM   #4
    Numb right hand
    (female)

Numb right hand HB User

My surgery was one week ago today. And yes the dr said give it time. I am just afraid I won't get my feeling back. Like I said my hand went numb and about 4 day's later he did a MRI and then 2 day's later I was in surgery. I am trying toi stay positive and making myseklf use my hand as much as I can. I am ready toi start sewing again. I LOVE sewing. Thank you for responding to my concern's. I will keep ya updated. Have a GREATTTTTTTT day

Last edited by Numb right hand; 09-20-2017 at 08:13 AM.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:28 PM   #5
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

It is normal to feel panicked over the ongoing numbness...but you have to have faith that as the swelling goes down, the nerve irritation will lessen, perhaps, go away entirely. There is a fine balance between using the hand enough to keep muscle tone, etc. and using it too much so that the nerves are kept in a state of agitation. Perhaps you are working it too hard?

Old 09-24-2017, 09:34 AM   #6
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi. I am sorry that you are going through this. I did not go through surgery, but I have multiple sclerosis and one of my first symptoms was numbness in my left hand and fingers. I ignored it until it started interfering with my life which led to the doctor telling me it was a pinched nerve.
    The CT scan showed it wasnt...a neurologist and subsequent tests (MRI, nerve conduction, etc) led me to a dx of MS.

Its been 12 years and the numbness never went away...BUT, I can tell you that after awhile, I learned to live with it. I can do everything I did before it happened; the only down side is I have burned myself on the stove or oven more times than I care to admit.

I use my hands thousands of times a day to type (online professor) and for everything else that everyone else does. I also horseback ride, where I compete and hand position counts. It took some figuring out, but now, not having any feeling in my one hand isnt something I even notice! I even sew!

Whatever happens, you will adapt. The brain has a miraculous way of rewiring signals and allowing you to continue as you did before. In your case, your numbness may go away in another few weeks- be hopeful! But even if it doesnt, in the end you'll deal with it and eventually compensate for it.

Sending you prayers that it disappears as quickly as it came on!

Old 09-29-2017, 10:25 PM   #7
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Are things getting any better?

Closed Thread