It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Bulging Disc and Heart Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2017, 04:17 AM   #1
    Muzzlynn
    (male)

Muzzlynn HB User
    Bulging Disc and Heart Pain

Hello!
    I have recently been diagnosed with a bulging disc on my cervical disc C5/6 C6/7. After my diagnosed I have been getting a slight pain on my heart, and a feeling of numbness on my left hand. Could the pain be related to my bulging disc??

Please advise! Thank youu!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2017, 08:02 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Bulging Disc and Heart Pain

Welcome to the board. The hand numbness/tingling is likely caused by some spinal nerve compression stemming from the bulging disc. The heart pain might be a secondary event caused by elevated hormonal levels from the body's reaction to pain, stress, etc. but not directly from the bulging discs.

You can look online for a "dermatome map" which will show you the path of the affected spinal nerves. You will see that C5 runs across the collar bone and down the inside of the arm, C6 innervates the thumb, C7 innervates the first two fingers and C8 innervates the fourth finger and little finger.

The disc is bulging...which means it has probably enlarged in size and is pushing into one of these spinal nerves. This results in nerve irritation or compression which can be felt at the site in the neck, or anywhere along the path of the nerve.

Closed Thread