It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Pain and spasms 4 years after surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-02-2017, 06:22 PM   #1
    johnnyq77
    (male)

johnnyq77 HB User
    Pain and spasms 4 years after surgery?

In 2013 I had a tumor removed from the middle of my spinal cord, which was severing 2 parts of my spinal cord apart. The doctors didn't know if I would walk again after the surgery. The surgery was mostly successful; I spent a month in the hospital learning to walk again. I graduated from a wheelchair to a walker, to a cane. I seem to have had chronic pain (mild to severe) to this day. Sometimes it feels like someone is shooting me with a taser where my incision scar is. I manage the pain and spasms with medication, but my wife doesn't think I should still be having these spasms and pain.
    Has anyone else experienced pain and spasms years after your surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2017, 10:08 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Pain and spasms 4 years after surgery?

Have you had any further visits with the surgeon? A new MRI?

I suspect that there is some permanent nerve damage that at least contributes to your symptoms.

Does anything like massage therapy or acupuncture help?

Old 11-03-2017, 05:45 AM   #3
    johnnyq77
    (male)

johnnyq77 HB User

Thanks for the reply; Sadly, the surgeon who did the surgery passed away a year and a half after the surgery. He had a long term care plan for me, including yearly MRIs and follow up visits. I didn't care for the doctor I was reassigned to, and asked for a new one. None of the other doctors seem to share the same level of concern as the original doctor. I have practically had to beg and plead to get MRIs. I thought about massage therapy, but it seems pretty expensive. With 2 young kids, money is pretty tight. I agree with you; I think (well, I know) there is some permanent nerve damage.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:54 AM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

How long ago did your surgeon retire? I'm wondering if you could still get whatever treatment records he had written about you.

Where about in the spine was the tumor? In the thoracic or lumbar spine? I'm assuming it wasn't the cervical spine...right?

Old 11-05-2017, 11:30 AM   #5
    johnnyq77
    (male)

johnnyq77 HB User

The surgeon passed away 2.5 years ago; he had a seizure in his sleep. It shocked everyone; nobody he worked with knew about his seizures. I believe the notes he left got lost, because in 2015 I had to explain to everyone at Mayfield that I did in fact have surgery and that the Dr who did the surgery told me he had a long term care plan, but nobody seemed to care too much. I have been highly disappointed in the care I received from Mayfield since the surgeon died.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:21 AM   #6
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

If I were you, I would file a formal request for all medical records for the date of your surgery. The other doctors may not have bothered to look for them.

I would also request records from the hospital...operating room notes and whatever care you received in hospital. You should be able to find the "permission form"/ request for records on the hospital's website. Just fill it out and mail it in.

Whenever I have a procedure or MRI, etc., I request a copy of the records and keep a personal file at home. You never know when it will come in handy.

Then I would find a new spine surgeon in a different clinic and go in as a new patient.

Closed Thread