It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Epidural Injections or Artificial Discs

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-24-2018, 04:52 PM   #1
    MarieC47
    (female)

MarieC47 HB User
    Epidural Injections or Artificial Discs

I've been reading the side effects and potential complications of both the injections and discs, and I'm curious what others think about it. If you had to choose one of them, which would you choose and why? I have my first epidural injection scheduled this coming week and I'm a little nervous.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2018, 12:07 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Epidural Injections or Artificial Discs

ESIs are a conservative treatment modality used to treat various spinal degenerative issues and the symptoms caused by them. Artificial disc replacement is a major intrusive surgical procedure that impacts the structural integrity of the spine. These two topics are not usually a "one or the other" option!

When a person has an issue like a herniated or degenerative disc, an epidural steroid injection is a common first treatment, given to reduce inflammation and hopefully aid in the healing. It, often along with a course of physical therapy, and perhaps oral medication, is ordered as a first treatment in an attempt to resolve the issue without a need for surgery.

If various conservative treatments are tried and fail, and if the symptoms are deemed to be sufficiently serious to require surgical intervention, the next step would be deciding what type of surgery...one to repair the disc or to remove it and replace it with an artificial one.

Last edited by teteri66; 02-26-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:15 PM   #3
    MarieC47
    (female)

MarieC47 HB User

Thank you teteri66. Makes sense. At my last visit with my spine doc he actually asked me which one I wanted to do. I've always wanted to avoid surgery so I asked him which he would choose which gave me the impression I had to choose one. Anyway, he said he'd do the ESIs. I get my first injection tomorrow. I emailed the doc's office earlier with a question about the ESIs and artificial discs and got this response:

"Hello, yes the artificial discs would be more likely to fix the issues with your neck but Dr. Malone wanted you to get the injections first to see if it would give you any sort of relief to move forward with the artificial discs."

Which now makes me think the plan is for both to be done. I guess I need to write down some questions for my next visit with him.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:25 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I would personally never agree to disc replacement surgery without getting several opinions from both a neurosurgeon and an orthopedic spine surgeon, and you would want to do lots of research on the doctor's experience with ADR and success rates, etc. It is not a procedure without risk and many spine surgeons only have minimal training and experience with it before they begin doing the procedure.

While it has been the gold standard for disc treatment in Germany for maybe two decades, it is still fairly new in the US...and is not done by every provider/clinic.

If the disc isn't too bad, many people get by with a simple micro discectomy procedure. It just all depends on how serious your issues are.

Reply Reply

Tags
    artificial disc replacement, epidural steroid injection