It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

First surgery for cervival discetory

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-01-2018, 10:54 AM   #1
Deedeedeb
(female)

Deedeedeb HB User
First surgery for cervival discetory

I have to have cervical DISCETORY and FUSION on c 3-4, c 4-5 c 5-6 plus something else
OK first I am freaking out because I donít want surgery I know that this could cause spinal damage or death or it could be whatever itís just that Iím freaking out because they are saying I have to have the surgery and they are scheduling it for me for next Thursday and I have to see the cardiologist on Monday and I do not want to do this but I have to because they said if I donít and I get to a car accident or something I could have more damage or I could be paralyzed.
I have SVT heart condition to so Iím really freaked out I was wondering if anything can be done before surgery to fix this but they said now I donít know if anyone has ever tried anything else but just feel like itís cause lightheadedness and me and tiredness I had pins and needles for over a year and a half almost before they finally let me get a MRI and then I found out I have this Iím sorry I just feel for everybody thatís going to go through this itís scary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2018, 07:13 AM   #2
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: First surgery for cervival discetory

Welcome to the board. I am sorry that you need surgery and that it has come on suddenly so you haven't had a chance to adjust to the news. Rest assured, everyone reacts this way initially. There is no such thing as a small spine surgery. Even the least invasive procedure is still a big deal.

It sounds like you haven't had an opportunity to get a second opinion or to consider your options. Even so, it is important to check out the qualifications and reputation of the surgeon.

Obviously I don't know any of the specifics of your situation...but with cervical issues, the doctor is concerned about spinal cord compression. This is why they tell patients they are just one accident away from a situation that could cause paralysis. While this is true, it is also a tad dramatic. Most patients can afford to wait a few weeks to be sure they are making the right decision.

Since you have been told you need surgery right away, I have to assume that your issues are severe and there may be a little bit of cord compression already. However you do not describe any symptoms that would cause me to think this.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get hooked up with this surgeon?

Old 03-02-2018, 01:50 PM   #3
Deedeedeb
(female)

Deedeedeb HB User

Hi thank you for your help and taking the time to write back appreciate it. My Symptoms are pens the needles in my hands and fingers dropping a few things and just feeling really tired and sore I do have Fibro so Iím not really sure that was part of this but I had to wait 6 to 7 months before I can get the MRI my talk to K our pins needles in my hands and fingers dropping a few things and just feeling really tired and sore I do have Fibro so Iím not really sure that was part of this but I had to wait 6 to 7 months before I got the MRI my My doctor kept brushing it off testing me for the vitamins since Iím vegetarian or diabetes It kept coming out OK
I had the MRI done two weeks ago and they are scheduling I had the MRI done two weeks ago and they scheduling the surgery this Thursday I looked online and seeing that there was any alternatives but doesnít seem i asked the doctor if thereís anything I could do and he said he wouldnít wait that my case was above average.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #4
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I'm sure this all seems like a blur. Sometimes we have months or years to contemplate spine surgery, but other times there is some urgency to take care of the problems sooner than later.

I hope you've had time to get ready! Good luck.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:00 AM   #5
Deedeedeb
(female)

Deedeedeb HB User

Hello

Thank you

One week notice itís this Thursday.
Freaking out but I hope I heal no income coming in.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:03 AM   #6
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

We are eager to hear how your surgery went. Please post when you are up to it.

Reply Reply