It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Issues at c3 level

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-15-2018, 09:38 AM   #1
    teddybearhugs
    (female)

teddybearhugs HB User
    Issues at c3 level

I had an ACDF done at C5 back in 2014, due to cord compression, I have various other issues with my neck, osteophytes, straightening of the lordosis, some narrowing etc, and after the op at C5, I was told the disc at C3, would need to be kept an eye on, as it was bulging, the last scan I had was 2 years ago, and it showed that disc was contacting and flattening the cord. I had come nerve root injections done, last year, due to pain, that did nothing, and I am due to be seen in clinic in 3 months time.
    I have been having some really bad pain in my neck over the last few months, pins and needles in the base of my skull, and a horrible feeling like a heavy weight in the nape of my neck, I have also experienced some numbness in my right arm and hand, aswell as pins and needles in my right hand, my right cheek, has felt a little numb at times, and I have had pain in my jaw aswell. I have had both shoulders repaired in the last 7 years, and am getting bad pain in my left shoulder, I don't know if that is neck related or not though...
    I just wondered if anyone else had any issues with C3, and what their symptoms are maybe? Should I be worried? I know that I will probably have to have another scan, and with the wait times, I will probably be looking towards the end of the year, before I will be seen with the results, based on how things have been in the past.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2018, 11:04 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Issues at c3 level

I have a herniated disc at C-3 and C-4...my symptoms include numbness in my left hand, tingling in both of my feet and stiffness and pain randomly in my neck.

I also have MS and it took years to figure out that these were not MS symptoms but rather symptoms from the discs. An EEG, done 5 times over a 2 year period is what finally helped determine this.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #3
    teddybearhugs
    (female)

teddybearhugs HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    I have a herniated disc at C-3 and C-4...my symptoms include numbness in my left hand, tingling in both of my feet and stiffness and pain randomly in my neck.

I also have MS and it took years to figure out that these were not MS symptoms but rather symptoms from the discs. An EEG, done 5 times over a 2 year period is what finally helped determine this.

Thank you for your reply, I also have a lot of MS symptoms, and my Neuro thinks so too, but referred me to a sleep apnea Doctor instead.. I don't have sleep apnea... just waiting now to see what happens next... thanks again for your reply. Kind Regards.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:30 AM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Sorry for my delayed response...am just seeing this. I would think , with my layman's mind of course, that in any person where cord compression is a known fact, that this would be the first thing to be ruled in or out as the cause of your symptoms.

Since you've already had one cervical fusion, it is likely that an adjacent disc has deteriorated further, in part du to the stress of the fusion itself. Plus you already know the disc was not in good shape a couple years ago...so it stands to reason, it has not improved with time.

The symptoms you describe are typical of cervical stenosis and nerve compression. You can look online for a "dermatome map" to see just what areas are covered by the various dermatomes. C3 is high up, just under the chin.

Good luck.

Last edited by teteri66; 04-29-2018 at 09:33 AM.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:15 AM   #5
    teddybearhugs
    (female)

teddybearhugs HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teteri66 View Post
    Sorry for my delayed response...am just seeing this. I would think , with my layman's mind of course, that in any person where cord compression is a known fact, that this would be the first thing to be ruled in or out as the cause of your symptoms.

Since you've already had one cervical fusion, it is likely that an adjacent disc has deteriorated further, in part du to the stress of the fusion itself. Plus you already know the disc was not in good shape a couple years ago...so it stands to reason, it has not improved with time.

The symptoms you describe are typical of cervical stenosis and nerve compression. You can look online for a "dermatose map" to see just what areas are covered by the various dermatoses. C3 is high up, just under the chin.

Good luck.
    Thank you for your reply.

Reply Reply