It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• ACDF Recovery - 8 Years Later

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-18-2018, 09:10 AM   #1
    birdman579
    (male)

birdman579 HB User
    ACDF Recovery - 8 Years Later

I wanted to post an update to my recovery from 1 level ACDF surgery in 2010. It seems difficult to get any long term information following surgeries so here goes...

Overall, my ACDF was a complete success! I started a thread following my surgery and chronicled my recovery over the first year. Feel free to click on my name to find that other thread. In the past 7 years, I have had no issues in my right arm or neck and have been very active: lifting weights, tons of home improvement projects, now have 3 little kids, and generally enjoying life. About a year ago, I did something to my left arm that caused my shoulder to spasm for a week. My doctor was concerned about a new herniation given my ACDF surgery so I got a full x-ray and MRI. Thankfully, everything looked great! Went and saw my original NS and he seemed excited to see a healthy patient all these years later. My arm pain cleared up within a week and has been fine ever since so I must have just tweaked the muscle.

For my particular situation, the keys to a full recovery were taking it easy during recovery while still being active, not having a strenuous job (I cannot imagine having spine issues and trying to work in construction or other physical job), being generally in good health, and not waiting too long to get surgery. My nerves were not totally shot because I had ACDF after only about 6 months of bad arm pain. Also, remember: go slow and listen to your body!

Unfortunately, everything is not roses because Iím pretty sure the disc I was worried about in my lower back has herniated as I have terrible sciatica in my right leg. The leg issues have been on and off so hopefully they clear up soon. Back surgery is so much worse than ACDF and I definitely want to avoid it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2018, 08:18 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: ACDF Recovery - 8 Years Later

Thanks so much for posting with your update. I had a fusion from L3 to S1 in 2010 and I remember you from then.

Why do you say lumbar surgery is worse than ACDF?

Old 10-08-2018, 06:38 PM   #3
    mookerific
    (male)

mookerific HB User

Your thread was an amazing thing to read! Thank you so much!

Old 10-09-2018, 04:17 AM   #4
    mookerific
    (male)

mookerific HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teteri66 View Post
    Thanks so much for posting with your update. I had a fusion from L3 to S1 in 2010 and I remember you from then.

Why do you say lumbar surgery is worse than ACDF?
    From what I understand the recuperation and success rate of Lumbar surgery is far less favorable than an ACDF, which has a success rate in the 90-98% range and with a recuperation period of only a few weeks before one can return to most activities (minus heavy lifting). The trade off is that they are going into some pretty scary areas with the arteries and all that.

Reply Reply