It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• MRI findings

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-11-2019, 10:54 AM   #1
    teddybearhugs
    (female)

teddybearhugs HB User
    MRI findings

mri findings

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2019, 03:59 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: MRI findings

The heaviness and numbness you are feeling could be caused by C3, C4 however, nothing in your MRI findings is remarkable or urgent..and a certain amount of narrowing is normal as we age...that being said, I also suffer from stenosis and some pressing on that area and also have numbness and tingling in my hands/ fingers from it. I know how it feels.

When you have surgery on your spine, it is not uncommon to eventually need more..things shift and usually a second surgery is common down the road.

You sound like you need a whole new perspective. Even though you were told to come back in ten years, can you get a second opinion based on your symptoms, NOT your MRi- from another doctor? Can you find another spinal orthopedic doctor to take a look?

Your MRi is very typical of any radiologists report...and yes, they do usually spell out everything they see...but what this one saw is not very remarkable, meaning there is nothing "obvious" there which needs to be addressed. The issue is if you are having symptoms and wait 10 years, it may be much worse. I would try to see another doctor sooner than later- and talk about PT or any type of exercises you can do to take some pressure off your C spine to ease your symptoms.

Good luck.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:13 AM   #3
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear teddybearhugs,

Really hon, will going back over old readings that were done years ago answer what is needed now? It very well may be that you simply need to eat right, stand straight and get active and exercise. We always need to do that.

I was hit by a truck when a teenager so that each leg bone is permanently all different lengths, and that permanently affects my back and shoulders. Due to bone length loss I do require a lift in one shoe to even out the leg bone lengths. Standing straight also takes conscious effort, and frankly I don't always pay attention to how I stand, hence there are times when pain points develop.

When I stop doing stretches and exercise the result is pain, headaches, and tension symptoms in various places in my body, neck and head. Doctors cannot fix these body issues; I do have to keep up being active, on my own. Whether we have body discrepancies or not, we can develop pain symptoms and cause ourselves problems based on posture, how we stand. Those problems can be undone with self-correction, consistency and work.

A good, safe place to start is to ask for some PT to get the kinks out of your body and get the blood circulating. It just doesn't help to scrutinize the body before doing all of the healthy things we know to do. I can never run again due to the accident. However, I can eat right, do some exercise, and I can walk. What can you do to be more active and fit?

Old 03-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

One thing that is helpful to know as a lay person reading a MRI report is that there are certain adjectives that convey a sort of “ranking” system. With a MRI of the spine the ranking is as follows: minimal, mild, moderate and severe.

Generally speaking, issues that are judged to be minimal or mild are for the most part, ignored. Moderate may require some conservative measures such as a course of physical therapy, epidural steroid injections, etc., but doesn’t usually require surgery. Severe usually means some surgical intervention may be necessary.

In your case, things look pretty good. If this were my neck I would want to know more about the disc osteophyte complex that is “in contact” with the spinal cord at C4-5. I would want to know the extent of this “contact” and whether it is indenting the spinal column. Given your symptoms, I would want to follow this, especially if symptoms worsen. I certainly wouldn’t ignore everything for ten years!

Are you able to change to a different GP? If you were in the US I would suggest you make an appointment with a different spine surgeon, perhaps an orthopedic spine surgeon rather than a neurosurgeon, for a second opinion...but I don’t know what your options are in the UK.

Personally anytime something is coming in contact with the spinal cord, I would want to have the situation explored further. You don’t want to wait until you develop myelomalacia or Cervical myelopathy.

Reply Reply