It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Expectations of improved shoulder function after neck fusion??

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-09-2019, 03:44 PM   #1
    DavidN
    (male)

DavidN HB User
    Unhappy Expectations of improved shoulder function after neck fusion??

Greetings:
    Before having 2 sets of cervical vertebra fused, my summary symptoms were:

General: NAD Gait: normal. Inspection: atrophy right deltoid, infraspinatus, supraspinatus area Palpation: no focal TTP
    Neck range of motion: mild limitation in bilateral rotation and extension, which increases right sided neck pain
    Strength in upper extremities: left upper extremity 5/5, RIGHT UPPER EXTREMITY: SA 0, ER 2-, IR 5, EF
    4, WE 5, FA 5, TA 5 Reflexes: absent in the bilateral upper extremities, 1+ both knees ankles

generating he following:

ASSESSMENT: 1. Right C5 radiculopathy with severe right C4-5 foraminal stenosis and multilevel central stenosis

This arose from a small "jerk" of a 35 pound bag of manure, and I lost overshoulder use of the right arm. And then it began to return (the function, that is), and when it "stopped recovering", I saw my PCP, who misdiagnosed the situation as a "rotator cuff", and sent me to PT, who ALSO said "rotator cuff",
    DESPITE my protestations that it was NERVE related, not muscle.

So they sent me to MRI to prove the issue, and I didn't know that they weren't deriving proof either way, but just to demonstrate the accuracy of their (wrong) diagnosis.

The only reason I was sure was because I had had a similar matter with my left shoulder some years ago, and this replicated the issue in all important ways.

At any rate, they said "oops", and sent me back to MRI, introducing several weeks delay. grrrr.

So, the physician who did the fusion is superb in my opinion, though the outcome has not been beneficial.

After 6 weeks, absolutely no change in shoulder/arm function., and my vocal chords have done ?? whatever?? and I'm going to quit barbershop until/when/if I can sing again.

And:
    When I'm on the "inversion table", it's apparent that I have existing nerve function, as I can move my arm just fine.

But, upon righting myself, the muscles can't hold up my arm, they are so freaking weak!

Why? What is the prognosis? What can be done about it? PT isn't doing any good what so ever!

I was hoping to die all at once, not this gradual crap!!

Am I just impatient: or is this ir-remedial??

thank you.

David

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2019, 06:18 PM   #2
    DavidN
    (male)

DavidN HB User
    Re: Expectations of improved shoulder function after neck fusion??

Just a follow up to state that many stories of others who have come to this site
    remind me of how fortunate I am, comparatively, to those who have not only lost function but endure unremitting pain.
    I can moan about having to quit Barbershop:
    lament the loss of playing " horseshoes" :
    and cry over losing accurate rifle-shooting marksmanship, being unable to enter "learned form" from 65 year's practice.

But I have no real pain, enjoy life when I'm not bitching about it,
    and have compassion for those here
    whose situation includes the haze of pain,
    or the cloak of dullness attendant to attempts to lessen it's presence.

If nothing else at all,
    THANK YOU
    for giving me perspective.

() deep bow ()
    david

The Following User Says Thank You to DavidN For This Useful Post:
    esker (07-11-2019)
    Reply Reply