It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Wife will probably be getting 3-level cervical fusion

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-13-2019, 11:45 AM   #1
    ohaya
    (male)

ohaya HB User
    Wife will probably be getting 3-level cervical fusion

Hi,

My wife (age ~60) has been having (mainly) right shoulder pain for awhile, and more recently (earlier 2019) some pain in the lower left back and tingling and pain going down her left leg.

She got both cervical MRI and lumbar MRI and she saw a surgeon (a neurosurgeon who had operated on my lower back a number of years ago) and after looking at her MRIs and the nerve test report, he said that she needs a 3-level fusion.

Neither I nor my wife had expected that, and I've been trying to get information about that procedure.

We've canvassed our friends and local relatives, and none of them have had this, so I was hoping that I could get some information on it. Like I said neither of us are too familiar with cervical fusions, but she (and I, I guess) have just thought that they were "really bad", but now that she is faced with having one, I am trying to get information to try to help her get through this.

From what I've read so far, it sounds like with a 3-level fusion, she will have some (a lot) changes in her ROM? How much does that amount of change affect lifestyle? Is it terrible (I know that is relative)?

What is the recovery like (how long and how painful?

The doc said like 2-3 months, but we are kind of (very) doubtful of that.

Sorry for some very generic questions, but this whole thing is kind of a shock to both of us ...

Thanks,
    Jim

EDIT: Also, one of the things the doctor said was that it was "possible" that the pain/tingling that she has been having from her lower left back down her leg and foot may be "coming from the neck". I think the reason he said that was that he said that he didn't see anything in the MRIs that would indicate lower back pain/tingling. How likely is something like that (neck problem causing tingling/pain in the lower back and leg and feet)?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply