It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Numbness around incision...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-11-2003, 01:06 PM   #1
    Beeyes

Beeyes HB User
    Numbness around incision...

Well, it is now 5 1/2 weeks since my ACDF. I am feeling great. But I am still numb above my incision up to my jaw and over to my chin. I asked after 2 weeks and the doc said its normal and would go away in a couple weeks. For anyone who has been through this, how long did it last? Shaving is really hard when you cant feel your skin!

BS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2003, 08:19 AM   #2
    dylan C5-6

dylan C5-6 HB User
    Hey Beeyes- I do not have an answer for you. I am 2 1/2 weeks post op C5-6 and have a numb area going from inciscion up to my chin. Thanks for the info, now I do not need to call my NS! After 2 weeks I had to shave cause it was killing me rubbing on my Miami J brace, and seemed to be way to grey!
    Dylan

Cervical Radiculopathy.
    Chronic Cervicogenic Headaches.
    1 Epidural(did not help)
    ACDF W/donor bone & hardware 10.24.03
    Sent Home 10.26.03 & then back Via Hellicopter for 2 more Nights.
    Miami J collar 4 weeks
    Fused @ 4 weeks!
    3 weeks PT

Old 11-12-2003, 08:45 AM   #3
    maggie2101
    (female)

maggie2101 HB User
    My last ACDF was in October 2002 and my chin/jaw is still numb. I'm a woman so I don't shave, but it's kind of embarassing when I'm out at a restaurant and can't tell if I've spilled food down my chin because I can't feel it

Old 11-12-2003, 08:45 AM   #4
    Beeyes

Beeyes HB User
    I did talk to my NS's assistant yesterday. She says that it can take a couple weeks to a few months to go away. Everyone is different. I guess they cut a lot of nerves and it takes a while for the body to make the feeling come back from the trauma. They really should give out a sheet explaining all the possible side effects of an ACDF. It would have saved quite a few calls to the NS!! I am thinking about making something up and giving a copy to my doctor and posting it online. Maybe some kind of what to expect day to day before and after ACDF.

BS

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dylan C5-6
    Hey Beeyes- I do not have an answer for you. I am 2 1/2 weeks post op C5-6 and have a numb area going from inciscion up to my chin. Thanks for the info, now I do not need to call my NS! After 2 weeks I had to shave cause it was killing me rubbing on my Miami J brace, and seemed to be way to grey!
    Dylan

Old 11-12-2003, 05:04 PM   #5
    DonnaKay
    (female)

DonnaKay HB User
    I'm just 6 days post-op, so still numb, too. I had a c-section in 1998, still numb from that, too. :-) Sometimes it itches badly, and I just can't get to the itch! If I had to choose numbness over pain, it doesn't seem so bad to be numb. Ya know what I mean? I had not thought of the shaving issue, though. That would be tough. Too bad ya can't wax. ;-)

Last edited by DonnaKay; 11-12-2003 at 05:05 PM.

Old 11-16-2003, 02:32 PM   #6
    LisaM

LisaM HB User
    I'm just over 2 months post op and the feeling is slowing coming back. My numbness is in the exact same area as all of you. I'm glad someone brought this up. I kept forgetting to ask the doc. I was too concerned about my continued pain. I just figured like you that they had cut some nerves and that it would take some time. It's an odd feeling though. It used to be completely numb now it's like that feeling when the novicane starts to wear off after going to the dentist. Take care.

Last edited by LisaM; 11-16-2003 at 02:34 PM.

Old 11-16-2003, 03:58 PM   #7
    nero
    Veteran
    (female)

nero HB User
    Just a quick note as i have noticed a real coldness in my right facial cheek closer to my jaw line.

I know my grade 2 appendectomy incision caused me a cold sensation on my lower right ab near incision for many years as a kid; finally a dr. disclosed its the nerves that are cut causing this.

My face feels at times now like someone layed an ice cube on it for a quick second. I can't wait to see where this leads but like someone said its better than a constant itch i guess.

Nero

Last edited by nero; 11-16-2003 at 03:59 PM.

Old 11-17-2003, 11:16 PM   #8
    grace54cl

grace54cl HB User
    Question C5-C6 surgery to remove bone spurs (possibly)

BS[/QUOTE]

Hi [QUOTE=Beeyes]I did talk to my NS's assistant yesterday. She says that it can take a couple weeks to a few months to go away. Everyone is different. I guess they cut a lot of nerves and it takes a while for the body to make the feeling come back from the trauma. They really should give out a sheet explaining all the possible side effects of an ACDF. It would have saved quite a few calls to the NS!! I am thinking about making something up and giving a copy to my doctor and posting it online. Maybe some kind of what to expect day to day before and after ACDF.

------------------------------
    Hi Beeyes
    I am going to have surgery (I think), to remove spurs on C5 and C6 and replace the disk. I am rather scared, though, I am soo tired of the pain, which has become constant now after 3 years. (bad chiropractor and rear-end car accident after that). I happened apon this site and signed up right away. I'm learning all kinds of interesting facts. Things I hadn't thought about!
    Did you by chance make up that list of possible side effects? I would really like to see a copy of that so I can know more what to expect.

Last edited by grace54cl; 11-18-2003 at 12:24 AM.

Closed Thread