It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Sore throat and low grade temp/Lori Rat why the ENT visit - what symptoms?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-07-2003, 10:30 PM   #1
    nero
    Veteran
    (female)

nero HB User
    Sore throat and low grade temp/Lori Rat why the ENT visit - what symptoms?

I am a month post op tomorrow and my throat is still so sore when I swallow. I did have terrible cold and flu for ten days and felt and got dressed up on last Friday and by mid evening my throat was killing me again and I was ill all weekend with it- like in bed. I am taking 1/2 percocet for the pain and tonight cannot sleep so took a Tylenol 3. Not being a pill person and usually toughing it out without pills shows me I am sick with this.

It seems that this 'sore throat' is the infamous one you get with this surgery as I have had this for a month now and my cold is gone. Do any of you suffer from this. It is like really sore similar to when you have an infected throat or a case of strep when your adam's apple is felt with every swallow. Then tonight my husband hugged me and said hey you are really warm and I definitely had a small two degree temp.

Lori rat you mention throat problem and it being long term and your visit to the ENT soon. Did your symptoms transcend from a sore throat and continue or do you have something more.

The dr. told me that they bash us up pretty good in there when they go in and my eardrums or inside deep in my ears ached terribly right after surgery as well periodically now and again a lot tonight.

Anyway, any comparable notes would be appreciated. I am thinking maybe i should get an antibiotic or at least my throat checked as tonight I cannot sleep for the throat pain.

Thanks folks,..... glad you are all here for advice.

Nero

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2003, 06:40 AM   #2
    DonnaKay
    (female)

DonnaKay HB User
    Re: Sore throat and low grade temp/Lori Rat why the ENT visit - what symptoms?

Gosh - I am so sorry to hear you are having such a horrible time. Your surgery was a lot more tedious (longer) than mine ... my throat occasionally feels lumpy when swallowing, but I have no pain from that. I did have a sore throat this weekend, but it was due to allergy symptoms - and I was really hoping it would not get worse. I can't imagine how bad it must be for you if you are taking pain pills to numb it. Wow! I would definitely call the doc to report it, if for nothing else than to validate your feelings! You may have a really bad infection in there. Please update us! You've been missed. :-)

Donna

Old 12-08-2003, 03:35 PM   #3
    nero
    Veteran
    (female)

nero HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DonnaKay
    Gosh - I am so sorry to hear you are having such a horrible time. Your surgery was a lot more tedious (longer) than mine ... my throat occasionally feels lumpy when swallowing, but I have no pain from that. I did have a sore throat this weekend, but it was due to allergy symptoms - and I was really hoping it would not get worse. I can't imagine how bad it must be for you if you are taking pain pills to numb it. Wow! I would definitely call the doc to report it, if for nothing else than to validate your feelings! You may have a really bad infection in there. Please update us! You've been missed. :-)

Donna

Thanks Donna Kay.

I am doing better today and then my hubby came home tonight with all his flu symptoms back which is what happened to me. So perhaps it is just this nasty nasty flu v. any acute throat symptoms from the surgery as hubby is so sick he is surprised he is ill again.

Anyway ventured out today with friend to return something and did well but I dropped off to sleep after made kids dinner till hubby in at 7. Seemed like I went into major deep sleep for two hours. I read how you felt after work and I can just imagine. I can't stand being this vulnerable and tired but its all part of due course.

I am glad you are well. So many people post with so many issues I wish I had a magic wand to help them as mine seem trite and inconsequential when you are trying to earn a living through this OR watching your son suffer from an injury.
    Shame on me, but i am glad I can vent when I need to.

Take it easy. My post op appt is Dec 16 so hoping for good news.

Sincerely, another cervical badge earner....NERO

Old 12-09-2003, 05:44 PM   #4
    NYFUSED
    Veteran
    (female)

NYFUSED HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nero
    Thanks Donna Kay.

I am doing better today and then my hubby came home tonight with all his flu symptoms back which is what happened to me. So perhaps it is just this nasty nasty flu v. any acute throat symptoms from the surgery as hubby is so sick he is surprised he is ill again.

Anyway ventured out today with friend to return something and did well but I dropped off to sleep after made kids dinner till hubby in at 7. Seemed like I went into major deep sleep for two hours. I read how you felt after work and I can just imagine. I can't stand being this vulnerable and tired but its all part of due course.

I am glad you are well. So many people post with so many issues I wish I had a magic wand to help them as mine seem trite and inconsequential when you are trying to earn a living through this OR watching your son suffer from an injury.
    Shame on me, but i am glad I can vent when I need to.

Take it easy. My post op appt is Dec 16 so hoping for good news.

Sincerely, another cervical badge earner....NERO
    HI NERO,
    MY THROAT PROBELMS NEVER CONSISTED OF A "SORE THROAT". ITS THAT FEELING WHEN I SWALLOW AND IT FEELS LIKE A LUMP IN MY THROAT. MY VOICE HAS ALSO CHANGED DRAMATICLY OVER THE PAST FEW MONTHS. I SING QUITE OFTEN AND NOW I SOUND LIKE A FROG. SOMETIMES IF I JUST TOUCH THE NECK AREA (NEAR ADAMS APPLE) IT IS SO TENDER AND I FEEL LIKE THE AIR IS BEING CUT OFF. VERY SCARY.... MY ENT APPT. IS 12/23/03 AND I HAVE TO AGAIN PAY OUT OF MY POCKET. THIS REALLY STINKS.....$250.00 RIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS. ANYWAY, I HOPE YOU ARE FEELING BETTER. IT TAKES TIMES AFTER A MAJOR SURGERY, POSSIBLY MONTHS. TELL YOUR HUBBY TO KEEP HIS DISTANCE WHILE HE IS SICK LOL

LORI

Closed Thread