It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• acdf c5-6-7 revision surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2004, 10:16 AM   #1
    NYFUSED
    Veteran
    (female)

NYFUSED HB User
    acdf c5-6-7 revision surgery

Hi,
    Would like to hear from anyone that has had a acdf c5-6-7 revision surgery. I am scheduled for this next month along with a new acdf c4-5- and possible ??? at c3-4. Any information will be welcomed. I am scared out of my face.

Lori

laminectomy L4-5 2001
    ACDF C5-6-7 2002
    POST. LAMI-FORAMINOTOMY-CORPECTOMY C6-7 2003

2/25/2004
    REVISION ACDF C5-6-7 WITH INTERBODY CAGES AND A NEW ACDF C4-5. NEW FINDINGS AT C3-4....STENOSIS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2004, 12:14 PM   #2
    Ramsfan
    (male)

Ramsfan HB User
    Re: acdf c5-6-7 revision surgery

Hi Lorirat,

I'm not sure how much a "revision" surgery differs from an initial surgery but I just had c5, c6 and c7 done on Dec. 19. I also had a titanium plate installed. Isn't that what the "cage" you are refering to is or is that something totally different? So far 2 weeks post op I have been doing much better than I expected. 1 day hospital stay and no problem getting around since I've been home. I used bone from my hip for the fusion. I can't believe the lack of pain I have had. I am on percocet but since the 3rd day I only take it when I go to sleep because of the discomfort from sleeping with the collar on. I have been sleeping in a recliner so far.
    I had c3, c4 and c5 done 9 years ago. The recovery for that wasn't quite as "comfortable" as this one has been, but still bearable.

Hope this helps,
    Frank

Old 01-04-2004, 04:24 PM   #3
    NYFUSED
    Veteran
    (female)

NYFUSED HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ramsfan
    Hi Lorirat,

I'm not sure how much a "revision" surgery differs from an initial surgery but I just had c5, c6 and c7 done on Dec. 19. I also had a titanium plate installed. Isn't that what the "cage" you are refering to is or is that something totally different? So far 2 weeks post op I have been doing much better than I expected. 1 day hospital stay and no problem getting around since I've been home. I used bone from my hip for the fusion. I can't believe the lack of pain I have had. I am on percocet but since the 3rd day I only take it when I go to sleep because of the discomfort from sleeping with the collar on. I have been sleeping in a recliner so far.
    I had c3, c4 and c5 done 9 years ago. The recovery for that wasn't quite as "comfortable" as this one has been, but still bearable.

Hope this helps,
    Frank
    Well, A reivsion means to take out the titanium plate/screws and install a new one. I did not fuse correctly. The interbody cages will be used instead of harvesting bone from my hip as they did my first surgery. They insert a needle to draw some bone marrow out of the bone and put it int he cage and your done! I jsut need some info. on post op pain etc...
    I had the same surgery as you in October 2002, ACDF C5-6-7 and was left in worse pain than prior to surgery
    I have been living on pain meds since 10/2002 so I guess you can call me an addict.

Lori

Old 01-08-2004, 09:23 PM   #4
    Surjit07

Surjit07 HB User

Hi Lori,

I am going for my anterior cervical fusion for C5/6 . This is due to the herniation of the disk. Please let me know if the procedure is the best for me in your opinion. I used to be very active in sports eg football and I hope after undergoing this surgery , I will be back to normal or at least closest to being normal. Can you tell me how long should I rest before I can resume activities ? A metal plate (titanium will also be implanted to strenthten the bone fusion.

thanks
    Surjit

Old 01-10-2004, 10:01 PM   #5
    NYFUSED
    Veteran
    (female)

NYFUSED HB User

hi,
    I cannot tell you if this procedure is best for you, that is your Surgeons job. I can just give you my opinion. Have you had a second opinion???? Do you know the pros and cons of this surgery????? Have you tried Physical Therapy????
    What tests have you had eg. MRI-CAT SCAN MYELOGRAM?? Have you had an EMG??? I hope I can help you out with any of your questions.

Lori

Lamiectomy L4-5 2001
    acdf c5-6-7 2002
    post. lami-foraminotomy c6-7 2003
    staph infection 7/4- 7/9/2003

revision surgery acdf c5-6-7 (2/25/2004) with another acdf c4-5 and possible c3-4???

Closed Thread