It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Is this headache related to disc?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-31-2004, 12:28 PM   #1
    TinaW
    (female)

TinaW HB User
    Unhappy Is this headache related to disc?

I have spent hours readind about everyone elses experiences, finally thought it was time to jump in. I am awaiting a mylogram this Friday. ( can hardly wait, yuk! ) I had one in 97 with bad experience so I am NOT looking forward to this one.
    My concern now is this STABBING headache I am having. I am to have ACDF in a few weeks. Pain in arm and shoulder are tremendous, I have had numbness since Oct. Yesterday, while sitting at lunch, I felt a stabbing in the left side of my head, it happened 5 times yesterday, but has been almost constant today. Has anyone else experienced this, or could it be something completly different, ( like I need something else going on).
    When the headache subsides I will add more detail to what is going on, just concerned about this, and really don't want to head to the ER.

Thanks! :

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2004, 12:40 PM   #2
    irish34

irish34 HB User
    Re: Is this headache related to disc?

TinaW---
    I have extracted disc at C5-6 with cord compression. When I saw the NS for the first time, I mentioned the headaches(migraines) I have been getting almost daily. He said that it's very common....usually from a pinched nerve. Mine were the typical symptoms of migraines: can't look at light, bothered by any noise, blurred vision, throbbing pain. Everyone experiences pain differently. However, you need to be cautious about a blood clot as well. Don't want to concern you more than you already are, but at least that can be ruled out thru MRI or a CT. They tend to cause a horrible pain, similar to a headache. I think that is why so many are missed.
    Take Care and make sure that someone is with you at ALL times until you figure out what is causing this.
    Please keep us posted.

Old 01-31-2004, 03:42 PM   #3
    lexie3131
    (female)

lexie3131 HB User

Hey Tina,

I have a large rupture at C6-7. I have severe spinal cord compression, and severe nerve compression at nerve root 7. I have horrible headaches that come from the base of my head up behind my right ear. It is different than a regualr headache. I do compare it more to a migraine. When I have one and I'm up walking around it feels like my brain is moving around in my head. It is a very sharp, throbbing pain that in unbearable. I asked my Ortho about this and he simply stated that a lot of people with ruptured disc complain about having these headaches but there is no information supportive to say it is caused by a ruptured disc. However, I feel it is. I am a person who never had headaches until this started. He said if I still had the problem after my surgery we would have a neurosurgeon look at me. Let us know how it goes.

Lexie

My concern now is this STABBING headache I am having.

Yesterday, while sitting at lunch, I felt a stabbing in the left side of my head, it happened 5 times yesterday, but has been almost constant today. Has anyone else experienced this, or could it be something completly different, ( like I need something else going on).

Old 01-31-2004, 04:04 PM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Quick question,.Do any of you also have really tight muscles in the areas of the neck and upper shoulders? Marcia

Old 01-31-2004, 09:05 PM   #5
    birdlady

birdlady HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by feelbad
    Quick question,.Do any of you also have really tight muscles in the areas of the neck and upper shoulders? Marcia
    Yes I do have muscle tightness in upper trapezius, and neck muscles. Have had all the trigger point injections, nerve blocks.... I'm so discouraged right now. 3rd neuro appt today - he says migraine - so that's 3 votes for migraine, 1 for muscle contraction, and 1 for rebound. He gave me more pills. Not a shock, but I really would love to know how all this disc disease and headaches are related. I've done exhaustive research on internet and have a HUGE file on it all. It's pretty straightforward how anatomically it all works, but then factor in different people/systems and any combo can be valid.
    I'd love to chat with more folks who have similar issues.
    syb

Old 02-01-2004, 08:13 AM   #6
    KeithEugeneW
    Veteran

KeithEugeneW HB User

I'd recommend looking up "occipital neuralgia" on the internet. It sounds like what you have, because I have the same thing. It usually starts with my neck getting really stiff and hot, then my ear feels like it plugs up and starts ringing. I get the sensation that someone pumped air or water into the right side of my neck and behind my ear. Then the painful headache will start from the base of my skull and radiate up over my ear to my temple and eyes. On the rare occasion when I get hit with both sides at the same time, I'd sell my soul to the devil for relief, they can be that bad. I definetely sympathize with anyone experiencing this same thing. I have severe DDD in C5/6 and C6/7 and the levels above are at varying stages of DDD as well. I have found that if I take imitrex when the symptoms first come on it sometimes helps to stop or reduce the pain. Also I have had reasonable luck with Aleve if I catch it early on.

Old 02-09-2004, 11:26 AM   #7
    BABS42
    (female)

BABS42 HB User

Headaches are what got me to the doctor in the first place. They are "wicked" and definantly different from any other headache I have ever experienced (including migraines). My head falls asleep along with arm numbness and other cervical syptoms, and then come a debilitating headache. I have avoided surgery so far, and NS's have been hesitant to say for sure that the headaches are from my neck, however my pain managment DR. said "yes", it is caused by the pressure on the disc. Anyway, my meds help. Babs
    2 types of Neuropathy on upper R-with some nerve damage. Nerve damage more severe on upper L.

Arachnoid Brain Cyst- Posterior Fossa

Old 02-10-2004, 07:01 AM   #8
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I was having really horrid headaches that seemed to start at the base of my skull and would radiate up over my R ear and end at the temple.Everything seemed really tight in my neck and shoulders also.After having three surgeries really close together with the last one a very major one,my muscles from the shoulder blades and up are really a mess.I actually have very visable large knots of muscle and tissue that have formed and keep forming,even when I was going to pt every other day for intense muscle massage.My L shoulder blade is actually pulled up in a nice contraction and my shoulder blades are no longer even symmetrical anymore. I started using a tennis ball and placing it between my shoulders and the wall and kind of pushing it into the worst knots and when i found an especially bad trigger point,would really grind(I know this sounds painful,and it is,but it is kind of a good hurt?)my shoulder or side of neck(the neck is very tricky but it can be done) or where ever the spot was, and then just push and hold for about 15-30 seconds,and sometimes you could actually feel the muscle let go.Other times you just feel a little loosening of the muscle but either way, i always come away from doing this with a little less tightness in my upper back and neck, and a little bit less pain.This is also extremely helpful if like me, you have nerve damage and no strength to massage the area.After doing this for just a few days, i found the almost daily headaches that i was having, slowly start to fade away.I know that mine were being caused by severe muscle contraction in my entire upper back and neck.I now only get maybe one headache every three weeks or so.I hope this helps somebody.Take care,and try the tennis ball, it does really work. Marcia

Old 02-11-2004, 10:17 AM   #9
    nabrown
    Inactive

nabrown HB User

Pain in arm and shoulder are tremendous, I have had numbness since Oct. Yesterday, while sitting at lunch, I felt a stabbing in the left side of my head, it happened 5 times yesterday, but has been almost constant today. Has anyone else experienced this, or could it be something completly different, ( like I need something else going on).
    When the headache subsides I will add more detail to what is going on, just concerned about this, and really don't want to head to the ER.

Thanks! :[/QUOTE]
    Tina,
    I found your original question, and want to reply to your symptoms. I had to go to the ER in NOV. and it took me until the end of Jan. to get MRI/MRA tests, heart test, chest xray, etc. done so that they could see that I have a bulging disc. When my dr. found out I had been to the ER, he worked me in within 4 days and this got the ball rolling. I have been on Valium (I hate it)
    and Skelaxin (muscle relaxer) since Dec. 1st - this past week I saw a new neuro and he wants me to be on Lexipro, an antidepressant. I suppose they know what they are doing. I have had a nervous breakdown 23 yrs. ago - this pain is not imaginary - the MRI shows a bulging disc "abutting" against the spinal cord - the shoulder and arm pain you described sound VERY much like my pain - I am slowly losing use of my left arm's strength. My head hurts if my left arm is not right by my left side. Driving a car, pushing the grocery cart, raking, and stairs (doing laundry) also have brought on the migraine headaches and I know it has to be the disc problem. I took 5 wks. of PT and it did nothing - probably made it worse. I see the neurosurgeon next week and I pray he will not take my pain lightly!
    I hope you can find out soon what is causing all your pain.
    Nancy

Closed Thread