It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Home after ACDF

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-13-2004, 07:12 PM   #1
    irish34

irish34 HB User
    Home after ACDF

hello to all....
    this is going to be short but to the point. surgery was monday morning, finally went in around 2:15p.m. apparently, the surgery took about 50 minutes and was said to have gone very well. they talked me out of my own bone and used a donor.
    i was in the hospital until thursday, they couldn't find a pain medication that didn't make me sick in a pill form. went home thursday afternoon----very sore.
    in all honesty, i feel worse than before the surgery. my back, along the shoulder blades was painful the first few days and is now numb. i also have numbness along my left jaw bone, under my chin and my bottom lip. i had a horrible pain and tingling in my right arm(opposite of before)....constantly moving to get comfortable. also tingling and numbness on my lower scalp area. my left arm from shoulder to hand went numb in shower. but most of the symptoms have moved to the right arm.
    throat has a golf ball in it....when i eat etc. but also when i lay down or sit inclined, it feels like it's clamping off. i feel like i can actually feel something moving inside my throat. and i have to move in another position to be able to swallow and breathe.
    my incision is about 2 inches long.....no collar at all.....
    i also have terrible acid reflux. i feel like i'm pregnant again!

this sucks that i feel as thought i have nothing positive to say. my symptoms now are more and worse than before surgery.

thinking of you all.....
    irish

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2004, 10:16 PM   #2
    wastefulltick
    (male)

wastefulltick HB User
    Re: Home after ACDF

hi irish
    i am sorry to hear you are doing so poorly hope you get better i have been waiting to see neurosurgeon to scedule my fusion surgery on c 67 but after reading some of the stories on this board and talking to some of my drs patients i am a little scared so keep me posted on your condition and hope you are feeling better soon
    bob

Old 03-14-2004, 09:46 AM   #3
    Rolex
    (female)

Rolex HB User

Irish, I am sad you feel so much pain. Hopefully it will get better soon.
    Someone told me that some Doctor's administer the cortisone directly to the area
    right after surgery, and that helps with the pain for a couple weeks. Some Doctor's
    do not do that. Maybe that explains why some come home from surgery without much pain, but have more pain after a couple weeks when it wears off.

Yesterday I went out for awhile and today my back/ shoulders are stiff/sore.
    I think I overdid it.

I hope you feel better soon. It sucks to have that much pain.
    Keep us posted.

Ava

Old 03-14-2004, 10:11 AM   #4
    CTmom
    (female)

CTmom HB User

Hi Irish,

Sorry you're having such a rough time. For what it's worth, take heart in knowing that things probably will get better with time. I also had horrible vomiting for three days after surgery and then really bad reflux for a couple weeks - Prevacid helped but it was really annoying and made it all the more difficult for my sore throat to heal. Once the reflux stopped my sore throat improved dramatically. I also had terrible pain running down the opposite arm than the one that bothered me before surgery. It was at least as bad, if not worse, than my presurgical pain and I got really concerned and discouraged. The fact that my doctor kept telling me it would get better with time didn't really help, but he was right. At six weeks post op the pain has gone down a whole lot and I have hope now that it will be completely gone at some point. Even if it isn't this is a whole lot better than I felt before surgery! Two weeks ago I was so miserable I didn't think the pain would ever end. This past week I was able to lead a pretty normal life for the first time in a long time. I don't have any real suggestions other than to take it easy and do what you need to to keep yourself as comfortable as possible during this frustrating time. I found heating pads helped a lot with the shoulder pain at first and also massage and gentle stretching that I am doing in physical therapy now.

Another thing that really helped was someone suggested keeping a pain diary. Every night I would rate my day on a scale of 1-10 - ten being I couldn't get off the couch because of the pain. It helped a lot because my recovery was so variable. I'd feel so much better one day and miserable the next and for no apparent reason. It helped to see my overall progress, especially on those bad days.

It's still very early - try to stay positive (I know, easier said than done) and I hope you have better days soon!

Old 03-14-2004, 11:47 AM   #5
    irish34

irish34 HB User

thank you all....
    my biggest concern is the numbness....is it normal to have this much?!? it's more than before surgery.

Old 03-14-2004, 05:04 PM   #6
    2nd timer
    (female)

2nd timer HB User

After my surgery my right arm was much weaker and the numbness in my finger was worse as well. Give it a little time and it should improve. It takes a week or two for the swelling to start settling down. Keep posting your progress and take it easy.

Susan
    ACDF/fusion C5-6 1996
    ACDF/fusion and plating C6-7 2/4/04

Old 03-14-2004, 07:33 PM   #7
    jqsmom

jqsmom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by irish34
    thank you all....
    my biggest concern is the numbness....is it normal to have this much?!? it's more than before surgery.
    Yes.... I had my Three-level ACDF with allograft and plates back in January and I am just now starting to feel my neck and chin. So give it time and you will be okay.

Old 03-15-2004, 08:49 AM   #8
    DonnaKay
    (female)

DonnaKay HB User

Oh Irish ... I'm so sorry you're feeling so poorly. I have not experienced the things you are experiencing, I am sure someone here will be very helpful to you. Please let us know how you are. I hope to hear a positive report from you soon. :-)

Donna

Old 03-15-2004, 03:39 PM   #9
    lexie3131
    (female)

lexie3131 HB User

Irish,

I am so glad to see you back on the board. But I'm so sorry you are not feeling very well. I am also still having pain in my left shoulder, and across my shoulder blades. I also still have pain in my neck and bad muscle spasms. I don't have much numbness anymore except for some lingering in my left ear. My throat is starting to feel better but I still get choked sometimes. I have my 2nd follow up appointment tomorrow afternoon. I will pray that you start feeling better each and every day. Keep us informed.

Lexie

Old 03-15-2004, 04:54 PM   #10
    irish34

irish34 HB User

I called my surgeon today however, it's Monday and he happens to be in surgery all day. Hopefully I'll hear back tomorrow. I don't have an appt. with him until March 23(my birthday--Happy Birthday to Me), I'm hoping to get in sooner.
    Today my incision itself is really sore--thankfully I only ended up with it being 2" long.
    Went to Subway for lunch with my husband today...was worn out by the time we got home. I truly hope that this gets better....I feel like such a complainer, but I really have nothing positive to say right now.
    I am second guessing to myself why I had this done...I felt better before the surgery. And I don't have a collar...And, the surgeon said I should be up doing everything as normal immediately. Unfortunatley, not this chic!
    Thinking of all of you...sorry my posts are so short lately, I don't last long sitting in a chair.

Old 03-16-2004, 07:00 AM   #11
    Ramsfan
    (male)

Ramsfan HB User

I know the recovery period can be very depressing at times and give you 2nd thoughts along the way, but in the majority of the cases it will pan out in the long run. Not everyone has a pain free recovery period. My 1st time was miserable through the 1st month or 2 of my recovery period, this last surgery was a breeze. Hopefully in time you will begin to feel much better and eventually look back and say it was worth it after all. Although it isn't pleasant during this period the bottom line should be rewarding. You will probably still get occasional aches and pains from here on out, it should be far better than it was before surgery.
    I disagree with your surgeon saying you can go back to normal immediately. Maybe he means your fusion can handle it, but your body will tell you differently.
    Hang in there and don't worry about being a complainer, after all that's what we are all on this board for.

Frank

Old 03-16-2004, 09:09 AM   #12
    Rolex
    (female)

Rolex HB User

So very well said Frank. I agree with you on taking it easy. I was feeling pretty good and went out all day yesterday shopping, lunch, etc. I am really hurting a lot more today.
    Just take it easy Irish. Hope you feel better soon.
    Happy St. Patty's day tomorrow!!

Old 03-16-2004, 11:34 AM   #13
    more
    (female)

more HB User

Irish with regard to pain in the shoulder area (hopefully it is feeling better) but it is probably caused from the position they had you in on the operating table. My understanding is they have to strap you down and it puts alot of pressure on the back. I never had pain on the left side until after my surgery the surgeon explained it was from the position they had me in. The numbness may be a sign it is getting better. Think about it when you sit on your legs they begin to hurt first, then go numb and then bounce back afterward. That is probably what is happen with the shoulder and back muscles - they were held in one position (that they did not like) and then released so they are complaining.

The jaw bone and lip numbness may be because of the intubation they did - that should ease up after a while.

With regard to the golf ball effect in the throat - I had that and it lasted for quite a while. I would not sit down to eat unless I had at least two glasses of water in front of me. I would take a bite to eat and take a drink. The exercising I did to assist with recovery consisted of walking to the bathroom constantly.

It has only been a week (I know to you it seems like a lifetime) but things should be getting better soon. Know you will have your good days and your bad days but hopefully the good days will outnumber the bad. When you have the good days remember not to overdue it and cause the next day to be a bad day.

Also remember to let others take care of you - by the way how is your daughter doing with the skin problem?

Old 03-16-2004, 11:59 AM   #14
    Deb F

Deb F HB User

Irish -
    Oh my!!
    Wish things were going alot smoother for you. Been hoping that all was well, as I've not checked in here for a bit (computer problems.)
    Sounds like Patience is the name of the game for now, but if you feel that something is not right get it checked out ASAP.
    I'm visiting PT, Massage therapist 4 days a week. Now will involve accupunturist too! (Oh I can hardly wait!) Neither PT or MT feels that I am improving with their help.
    So, tomorrow (St. Patrick's Day,) I will raise a glass of my favorite Tyranena Beer (it's called Bitter Woman done by our local microbrewery) to your health and a very speedy recovery!
    Gentle Hugs and best wishes,
    Deb F

Old 03-16-2004, 10:08 PM   #15
    irish34

irish34 HB User

Happy St. Patty's Day to All my wonderful friends.....
    What life would be like without you?!? Makes me wonder.
    Anyhow...I went to my surgeon today. He is very concerned. Possible a screw or graph out of place. Said it's never happened in his 7 years doing this particular surgery, but it's also not the first time he's double checked for it either. He said if it's not that, we may have another "trouble" area. The did a CT and x-rays immediatley. Hopefully I will hear back from him tomorrow. From the horrible pain (it's much worse than before surgery) it sounds like I may be back in the OR soon.
    I shall keep you all posted.

All my friends....

May God give you....
    For every storm, a rainbow,
    For every tear, a smile,
    For every care, a promise,
    And a blessing in each trial.
    For every problem life sends,
    A faithful friend to share,
    For every sigh, a sweet song,
    And an answer for each prayer.
    *An Irish Blessing*