It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Question Regarding Pain After Surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-18-2004, 03:45 PM   #1
    LK77

LK77 HB User
    Question Question Regarding Pain After Surgery

Hello All!

My mom recently had a Cervical Diskectomy with fusion and plate at C5/C6. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this procedure. She is experiencing severe pain right now and I am wondering if it's normal. She has a lot of pain in her shoulders and severe pain in her lower back / hip area. The shoulders make sense, but not the back. She did call her doctor's office about her back and they told her one thing that is common after cervical surgery is burisitis. Does this sound right? Bursitis in the hip after neck surgery? Any information or input would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2004, 04:08 PM   #2
    NYFUSED
    Veteran
    (female)

NYFUSED HB User
    Re: Question Regarding Pain After Surgery

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LK77
    Hello All!

My mom recently had a Cervical Diskectomy with fusion and plate at C5/C6. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this procedure. She is experiencing severe pain right now and I am wondering if it's normal. She has a lot of pain in her shoulders and severe pain in her lower back / hip area. The shoulders make sense, but not the back. She did call her doctor's office about her back and they told her one thing that is common after cervical surgery is burisitis. Does this sound right? Bursitis in the hip after neck surgery? Any information or input would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi,
    Did your mom have bone taken from her hip for her fusion??? If so, that is the reason for her pain in that area. Pain after surgery is very common and normal unless her pain is unbearable. I have had 3 c-spine surgeries. The first one I was left in more pain than prior to surgery due to surgeon error. The second one again more pain but that was due to a staph infection and the third one I just had on 2/25/2004 and I am doing GREAT!!!!!!!!
    How does her incision look??? And when was her surgery???

Good luck
    Lori

Laminectomy L4-5 2/14/2001
    ACDF C5-6-7 10/2/2003
    Posterior laminectomy-foraminotomy c6-7 64/2003
    staph infection 7/4- 7/9/2003
    ACDF C4-5 WITH REVISION ACDF C5-6-7 2/25/2004
    DR. CAMMISA NYHSS AMAZING RESULTS!!!!!!!

Old 03-18-2004, 09:10 PM   #3
    LK77

LK77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LORIRAT
    Hi,
    Did your mom have bone taken from her hip for her fusion??? If so, that is the reason for her pain in that area. Pain after surgery is very common and normal unless her pain is unbearable. I have had 3 c-spine surgeries. The first one I was left in more pain than prior to surgery due to surgeon error. The second one again more pain but that was due to a staph infection and the third one I just had on 2/25/2004 and I am doing GREAT!!!!!!!!
    How does her incision look??? And when was her surgery???

Good luck
    Lori

Laminectomy L4-5 2/14/2001
    ACDF C5-6-7 10/2/2003
    Posterior laminectomy-foraminotomy c6-7 64/2003
    staph infection 7/4- 7/9/2003
    ACDF C4-5 WITH REVISION ACDF C5-6-7 2/25/2004
    DR. CAMMISA NYHSS AMAZING RESULTS!!!!!!!
    Hi Lori

No she did not have bone taken from her hip. Her fusion was done with cadaver bone. Her surgery was done on 02/13/04. Her pain does seem to be quite extreme. She is now 5 weeks post surgery and she is still having to take pain medicine. I know the pain must be bad for her because she is not one to take pain medicine. She has contacted her surgeon on two different occasions now and they assure her that this is all normal. She says it just doesn't feel right though.

Old 03-18-2004, 09:22 PM   #4
    NYFUSED
    Veteran
    (female)

NYFUSED HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LK77
    Hi Lori

No she did not have bone taken from her hip. Her fusion was done with cadaver bone. Her surgery was done on 02/13/04. Her pain does seem to be quite extreme. She is now 5 weeks post surgery and she is still having to take pain medicine. I know the pain must be bad for her because she is not one to take pain medicine. She has contacted her surgeon on two different occasions now and they assure her that this is all normal. She says it just doesn't feel right though.
    The only advice I can give you is to tell your mom to listen to her body!!! She is the only one that knows when something is not right. I was told for months it was healing pain the 1st surgery and it was not. The 2nd surgery I was told the same thing and ended up in the hospital with a staph infection.
    I wish you luck. This is a very hard time for her to deal with. I would ask her surgeon to give her a MRI with contrast or a cat scan. Did he send her for PT???

Lori

Old 03-19-2004, 06:22 AM   #5
    Ramsfan
    (male)

Ramsfan HB User

Since my 1st surgery 10 years ago I have had bouts of lower back pain. During my recovery period I questioned my NS and he finally did an MRI to ease my mind. There wasn't anything noticeable on the MRI. I would go through spells of after strenuous activity. Therapy helped a lot. I still have bouts of discomfort but I've made some adjustments in how I do certain things to minimize my pain level. My aches and pains are less frequent. I haven't persued it any more with my DR. I guess I just learned to accept.

Frank

Old 03-19-2004, 07:30 AM   #6
    LK77

LK77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LORIRAT
    The only advice I can give you is to tell your mom to listen to her body!!! She is the only one that knows when something is not right. I was told for months it was healing pain the 1st surgery and it was not. The 2nd surgery I was told the same thing and ended up in the hospital with a staph infection.
    I wish you luck. This is a very hard time for her to deal with. I would ask her surgeon to give her a MRI with contrast or a cat scan. Did he send her for PT???

Lori

She hasn't gone for PT yet. She has another appointment with her NS the first week in April. That is when he said he would send her PT. I sure hope that helps. I will keep you all posted on her progress.

Have a great day!

Old 04-01-2004, 10:08 PM   #7
    irish34

irish34 HB User

I am in the same boat as your mom....ACDF at c5-6 on March 8,2004....my surgeon ordered PT for 4 weeks and "we'll go from there."
    I completely concur....it just doesn't feel right.

Closed Thread