It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Finally had my MRI's

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2004, 08:49 PM   #1
    cheryl1121
    (female)

cheryl1121 HB User
    Finally had my MRI's

Only took 9 months to get w/c to approve MRI's on my lower back and cervical area. Does anyone know if any of it would be cause for surgery.

Cervical: C3-C4 small central disk protrusion abuts against thecal sac, displaces cord posteriorly, no significant compression.
    C4-C5, prominent 6mm central disk protrusion, displaces cord posteriorly & deforms anterior aspect of cord resulting in compression. neural formanina are patent
    C5-C6, most severely affected level with broad-based 6mm, right paracentral/central disk protrusion, displaces cord posteriorly, results in compression, neural foramina patent.

Lumbar spine: Coronal image demonstrates lumbar levoscoliosis.
    L1-2, loss of disc height & hydration with [psteropr central herniated nucleus pulposus effacing ventral epidural fat & indenting anterior thecal sac. disc material remains level of interspace.
    L2-L3 loss of disc height & hydration w/disc bulge & spondylosis, in combination w/hypertrophy of facets & oigamentum flavum, indenting thecal sac & narrowing neural foramina
    L3-L4 loss of disc height & hydration w/disc bulge, spondylosis, hypertrophy of facets & ligamentum flavum indenting tecal sac. neural foramina narrowed bilaterally
    L4-L5 loss of disc height & hydration w/disc bulge, spondylosis, hypertrophy of facets & ligamentum flavum indenting tecal sac and narrowing bilateral recesses & bilateral neural foramina
    L5-S1 loss of disc height & hydration with disc bulge, spondylosis, hypertrophy of facets & ligamentum flavum effacing ventral epidural fat & producing bilateral neural foraminal stenosis w/narrowing of bilateral lateral recesses.
    Conus medullaris & paraspinal tissues appear unremarkable.
    EMG: Muscles tested show changes in anterior tibial, bluteus medius & lumbar paraspinal muscles on left.
    Abnormal EMG, consistent with an L4-5, S1 lumbar radiculopathy w/acute changes.

Any help would be appreciated. W/c doctors are not real reliable.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2004, 06:43 AM   #2
    grace2

grace2 HB User
    Re: Finally had my MRI's

Hi Cheryl,

I'm no expert but this does sound like it would warrant surgery:
    C5-C6, most severely affected level with broad-based 6mm, right paracentral/central disk protrusion, displaces cord posteriorly, results in compression, neural foramina patent.

The fact that it displaces the cord and the EMG both sound like why I had surgery. This is a W/C case? What did you do? Just reading all this sounds like almost every disk is deteriorated. I can't imagine how you could damage your entire back and neck. (Not being sarcastic or anything, just really curious). This is all relatively new to me and I want to avoid anything in the future that could cause further harm. Good luck.

Grace

Old 03-30-2004, 01:41 PM   #3
    cheryl1121
    (female)

cheryl1121 HB User

It was all caused by sitting in a chair for eight hours a day typing. The chair's back was broke and I could not lean back in it. It also had arms and that made it where I could not reach my keyboard. I sit on the edge of the seat all day for almost two years. This caused a gread deal of stress on my lower back. Also I did not have a workstation that was proper, it was a credenza and about 5 inches too high. My paperwork that I worked from was about 3 feet away on another desk to my right. That made me have to turn my neck and lean over to be able to read my work. I am an accountant and the numbers were very hard to see. I was constantly turning my head and leaning and this caused migrane headaches daily and stress on my neck that caused lots of problems. All of this was from just plain working under this kind of stress. Of course it has been a very hard thing to get w/c to agree with me. they still have not agreed on the lower back injury yet.

Old 03-30-2004, 03:55 PM   #4
    grace2

grace2 HB User

Wow Cheryl, thanks for answering me. I need to do some research on my desk arrangement at work to see if I need to change anything. I'm not sure what I did to mine, but we think it probably started 4 years ago when I was rear-ended. I'm just glad I'm done and hopefully never have to do it again. Good luck getting yours corrected whether they cover it or not.
    Grace

Old 07-25-2007, 12:36 AM   #5
    DAVID110588
    (female)

DAVID110588 HB User

HI Cherry
    Does your descriptions are copied from your doctor's original findings?

How much noise in DB for MRI? My doctor's finding "ongoing lumbar degenerative disease pain on hip and leg because of interspace narrowing between disc in lumbar area." according to 5 X-Ray films taken on my low back. What is different between X-Rays and MRI? Does X-Rays colud be used to find problem such as interspace narrowing between disc?

Last edited by DAVID110588; 07-25-2007 at 12:39 AM.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:37 AM   #6
    cheryl1121
    (female)

cheryl1121 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DAVID110588 View Post
    HI Cherry
    Does your descriptions are copied from your doctor's original findings?

How much noise in DB for MRI? My doctor's finding "ongoing lumbar degenerative disease pain on hip and leg because of interspace narrowing between disc in lumbar area." according to 5 X-Ray films taken on my low back. What is different between X-Rays and MRI? Does X-Rays colud be used to find problem such as interspace narrowing between disc?
    David, The post you were reading is very old. Since that time I have had many MRI's and surgury. My surgury was this past April 2007. My cord at that time was completely flattened, and I had emercency surgury. My surgeon said that if I would have fallen or been hit even lightly in a car that I would have been jello from the neck down. I waited way too long. Yes the finding I reported in the post you referred to were copied from the oringinal findings. An xray does not show the of fine parts of the spine as a MRI does. Your doctor sooner or later will have you get an MRI if you in fact have certain injuries. Good Luck

Closed Thread