It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 4months post ACDF and now having trouble with throat!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2004, 09:52 AM   #1
    nero
    Veteran
    (female)

nero HB User
    4months post ACDF and now having trouble with throat!

Anybody else find trouble with throat this much later. I am four 1/2 months post op and it seems to flare up here and there in my throat. Feels like I need to force air up my throat and after I eat a muffin or something not especially smooth, I feel like my epiglottis is stuck again.

I felt well for quite a while and now it is flaring up and it is really a bother. I am afraid to eat anything and am going to try some liquid soups today for a few days.

Is this par for the course guys?

Thanks ...attempting to be... Nero

Last edited by nero; 03-30-2004 at 09:52 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2004, 01:14 PM   #2
    grace2

grace2 HB User
    Re: 4months post ACDF and now having trouble with throat!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nero
    Anybody else find trouble with throat this much later. I am four 1/2 months post op and it seems to flare up here and there in my throat. Feels like I need to force air up my throat and after I eat a muffin or something not especially smooth, I feel like my epiglottis is stuck again.

I felt well for quite a while and now it is flaring up and it is really a bother. I am afraid to eat anything and am going to try some liquid soups today for a few days.

Is this par for the course guys?

Thanks ...attempting to be... Nero
    Nero,

I can't remember, are you still wearing a collar? I'm only two weeks post op, but the collar makes a big difference. I wore mine for about a week (soft only) and felt I had to force each swallow down. After I quit wearing it, the feeling went away within a day. If I get especially tired and wear it for a while, the feeling comes back. If you are wearing it all the time, maybe you slept in a weird position or something and it put pressure on your throat. This is only a guess, so take it for what it's worth. I'm glad you're feeling better and I hope it's nothing.

Grace

Old 03-30-2004, 09:49 PM   #3
    Deborah2003

Deborah2003 HB User

I did have that lump feeling for a few months. Rubbing Cocoa butter with Vit E on your neck helps break up that internal scar tissue that feels like a lump when you try to eat or swallow. I was skeptical when my Doc recommended this to me but it really did help me.

Old 03-31-2004, 10:30 AM   #4
    2nd timer
    (female)

2nd timer HB User

Nero,
    I have had lumps in my sthroat since my surgery which was 7 weeks ago. Two weeks ago it was really bad. I was coughing and gagging. I know this sounds wierd but it felt like there were stitches sticking me in the throat. I chocked it up to the fact that they are starting to dissolve now. My throat feels worse on days that I talk alot. I start back to work on Monday and that means nonstop talk all day. I am a Customer Service supervisor and I never seem to get done talking. Have you had any problems with your voice? At four months post op it does seem strange to have a flare up but remember that things are still healing and that there is probably still some swelling internally.

Susan

Old 03-31-2004, 01:01 PM   #5
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

You probably have some scar tissue built up in there which is normal for all surgeries but I would have it checked.
    Like Deborah said rub vitamin E oil (I don't use the cocoa butter it isn't as effective for scaring but more for moisturizing) on the scar then massage it cross grain or up and down.. not across the scar from left to right. This may help you out some.
    I've done this with pretty much all my surgeries (13) and it helps tremendously to soften and lighten the scar as well as break up that annoying scar tissue.

Good luck

Old 03-31-2004, 05:33 PM   #6
    DonnaKay
    (female)

DonnaKay HB User

Hi E!

I haven't been around much lately ... lots of things going on. You know ... life. Beginnings and ends, such as it is.

I, too, am having some difficulty swallowing at times, but not a serious as you seem to be having. I am SO sorry this is happening to you! When I get out of bed in the morning I can feel it very strong - the whole incision and internal wherever they moved things around. Sometimes during the day, out of the blue if I'm talking, I have to stop talking and swallow. That doesn't sound like much, but it's nothing I've ever had to do before. It's like something all of a sudden is there, and I can't talk, so if I swallow it makes whatever it is go away. I haven't had a hard time swallowing food, or difficulty in swallowing in general, so I figure I am okay. But -- I envision the scar tissue growing and growing, and then I start to wonder and I make myself crazy. ;-) I try very hard not to think about all this too much.

Since you will be going to have your surgery soon, you should discuss this with your doctor. Definitely!

How was your family trip to Antigua? Did you have any difficulties while away?

D

Old 03-31-2004, 08:04 PM   #7
    nero
    Veteran
    (female)

nero HB User

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the replies.

To Donna Kay: Yeah I had a great time and actually completely forgot about my neck.. it was incredible. Only difficulty was landing and take off for which I had taken my collar and was glad on last landing I did. We are going to buy property down there with husband's partner so I am really excited about that... a place to go and recover again and again.

I had utitilized the vit e direct from the tablet and it was great for scar.. however stopped and now realize I shouldn't have. I will commence again.

I too have the feeling in the a.m. now that my throat has something stuck in it and as I am talking. It is not when eating which seems strange.

I have a feeling my walking on treadmill may be setting it off a little as the neck and head obviously torque a little and my throat muscles seem to be constricting around the throat and this seems to set off the tight feeling of something in my throat. So today I did not treadmill and yet it was still there. I told my husband I will do it every other day and crosstrain with stationary bike once my lower back gets healthy.

I am a little worried about my 2nd surgery as if they have to do the tube down my throat again for the anaesthetic I don't know if my throat can take anymore. Oh well... I am booked april 22 and phoned about an appt with surgeon to discuss things and my preop and secretary said no dates to tell me yet. God... its only 22 days away and I know nothing...

Well thanks so much... I too haven't been on Board much but when I do, I try to help like you kind souls have helped me...

I miss you all sometimes but really have been doing well till this darn throat thing... However, I must advise I did find an article about this throat problem called Dysphagia and Disphonia being the voice and it said 85% of surgeons underreport the high incidence of swallowing problems and voice problems due to the surgery. It is not that we don't expect some risk but just a reaffirmation that if something we feel exists, the least they can do is confirm its real and how it can be dealt with or tolerated.

Well thanx again... see ya Nero

Old 04-07-2004, 07:43 AM   #8
    Red Dragonfly

Red Dragonfly HB User

Hello All, I had 2 level ACDF with Affinity Cages and plating, 3/4/04. No collar. I have just now started driving again. I would like to thank you all for sharing your experiences regarding the throat thing. It is indeed a strange feeling. I had a bad time for the first 2 weeks dealing with the acid reflux and ate only soft foods having the water close by at all times. It was difficult and I found different angles to use while swallowing. 4 weeks post op the swallowing has taken on a life of it's own. It seems to zap me when I least expect it causing intense constriction in the throat that is quite painful and I also have noticed an increase in hiccups. They hurt like a M.....Fer. I am comforted knowing others are experiencing similar symptoms and I am not to worry. The strangest feeling for me is sleeping on my side. It feels as though there is weight in the front of my throat and while on my side the pressure is causing, a sensation like I am feeling it shift. I may just be imagining things because I know there is metal in my neck. Has anyone else had any experience like that?????? Any way, take care of yourselves and your body and rest,,,, rest,,,, rest,,,,,

Closed Thread