It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• MS and Hemangioma??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2004, 04:41 PM   #1
    katiesquilts

katiesquilts HB User
    Question MS and Hemangioma??

My friend just received a copy of her full spine mri, done as part of an ms workup. The report says that there are hemangiomas within the vertebral bodies of the T7, T11, L1, L2, and S1.

Anyone heard of this??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2004, 04:55 PM   #2
    gimpydimp
    (female)

gimpydimp HB User
    Re: MS and Hemangioma??

Hi, I have a hemangianoma on T11 and was told it was very common and had not pathology associated with it. Like a freckle -- means nothing.
    That is what I was TOLD.

Old 04-16-2004, 05:21 PM   #3
    katiesquilts

katiesquilts HB User

cool...thanks!

Old 04-17-2004, 05:40 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Exactly how big is this lesion that your Dr said means 'nothing"? It could be 'something".Mine is. I had to have it removed last sept as it was having these little bleeds into my spinal cord.Mine was starting to cause unbelievable pain and neuro symptoms.My NS (he is the head of neurosurgery at the university of MN) told me that if i were to have another bled,even a small one, i would most likely end up parylyzed from the chest down as there just isn't any give inside the cord.Once the space fills up with blood or remains of a bleed, you are screwed.Mine was 4x6x8 mms,and was located inside the cord at the C-7, t-1 level.i still have 10% left inside the cord that they had to leave in as when they went to remove another piece, a nerve was hit,and it never came back on the monitor,so they had to stop.

have you had any bleeds from this?it dosen't say anything about an actual bleed on the MRI, instead it says hemosiderin staining or ring.If you see this on your report, you have already had at least one small bleed.According to my NS, he stated that if you have already had at least one bleed, the likelyhood of having another one within the same year is very high. I am in no way trying to scare you here,but just inform you that not all of these are nothing to worry about. Good luck to you, Marcia

Old 04-17-2004, 05:52 AM   #5
    katiesquilts

katiesquilts HB User

It seems like it's an all or nothing situation. From the sounds of it, though, these things could easily be mimicking MS symptoms... What about a spinal tap? Will these change the color of the spinal fluid?

Old 04-17-2004, 08:50 AM   #6
    katiesquilts

katiesquilts HB User

Marcia, do you know of any really good web sites for this? What about lesions elsewhere?

Old 04-17-2004, 01:27 PM   #7
    gimpydimp
    (female)

gimpydimp HB User

Marcia

Was your hemangioma IN the vertebra to begin with, in your case? Mine is actually IN the vertbra bone and the MRI is 3 years old now. I wonder if this could be causing some of my problems, if the hemanginoma in a bone can bleed into the spinal cord.

Old 04-19-2004, 05:44 AM   #8
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Mine was inside the cord, not the vertebrae.I guess you can really get these anywhere.Maybe having it in the actual vertebrae is less of a worry than inside the cord?Mine has always been in the cord,never the vertebrae.Have you had an MRI of the brain?these can be multiple and in the brain ,the cord or in the brain stem,which is actually the absolute worst place for them as they are considered to be mostly inoperable.The damage would be much to extensive to go in there and try to remove it.My sympathetic nervous system really took a bad hit during my surgery.I knew that i would suffer some significant nerve damage to either my fine motor to my hands or my legs as the nerves to these areas ran right between the the hemangioma and the cord wall.i just didn't know for sure where or how bad it was going to be until after the surgery.But I had no choice but to try and have it removed as it was much more dangerous for me to leave it in.

i don't know if the hemangioma can bleed into the actual cord space or not.I would think that there would be some sort of barrier there but anything is possible.I would just research this as much as possible.You need to find as much info on these as possible in order to make informed decisions.That was the best thing i ever did for myself.There are some really great sites out there but unfortunely i cannot post them because of the rules on this board.If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask,okay? Marcia

Last edited by feelbad; 04-19-2004 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Don't know how to spell!

Closed Thread