It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Qestions about ACDF

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-25-2004, 06:44 PM   #1
    jbabbit
    (female)

jbabbit HB User
    Qestions about ACDF

I'm going to have an ACDF with plate in the beginning of june on C5-C6...

I am going to have to wear a hard collar for 6 weeks. How do you guys sleep in that...how do you get comfortable? Do you have special pillows? Any help would be appreciated. I want to be as ready as possible for the surgery...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2004, 06:03 AM   #2
    gloryemt
    Inactive

gloryemt HB User
    Re: Qestions about ACDF

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbabbit
    I'm going to have an ACDF with plate in the beginning of june on C5-C6...

I am going to have to wear a hard collar for 6 weeks. How do you guys sleep in that...how do you get comfortable? Do you have special pillows? Any help would be appreciated. I want to be as ready as possible for the surgery...
    Hi There, I had ACDF C 4-5 and 5-6 3 weeks ago today. I do not have to wear the hard collar but i do have to wear the soft collar. I have read posts on here of people who have had the hard collar and they say that once they get used to it sleeping isnt a problem. Even though i have the soft collar it was hard to get used to and hard to sleep in. Anyway, my husband bought me this pillow at Walmart and it is foam, i cant remember what they call it but it is the kind that forms exactly to your your head and to the neck brace as well! It cost around $19.00. I'll tell ya, i highly recommend you get one, i think that it will do wonders for you. Good luck! Glory

Old 04-26-2004, 07:08 AM   #3
    more
    (female)

more HB User
    Re: Qestions about ACDF

I wore the hard collar for six weeks also. At first I slept in a recliner because that was what I found most comfortable. After a couple of weeks I moved to the bed. What I found worked best in the bed was layering of pillows.

What I mean is stacking them to add different layers of support. I think in the end I was sleeping with 5 pillows one flat, - the second one back a little further, supporting the upper part of my head; the third to the front - suppporting the neck and the fourth and fifth filling to the front, supporting more my shoulders and upper back.

Good luck - after a few nights of this you do get used to it. One thing I definitely advise against - DO NOT SLEEP ON THE COUCH using the arm rest for support - I tried this one night and paied for many hours afterward - it was just too hard and not enough give.

Closed Thread