It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Cervical Injury's & Treatments

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-30-2004, 07:45 PM   #1
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Post Cervical Injury's & Treatments

Hello Everyone
    I had first injured my neck over ten years ago. I had done this by diving into my pool and I had slammed my head on the bottom and injured my neck. At that time I did not have Health Insurance. I did go to the ER the next day but only x-ray was done and I was told to follow up with primary doctor and I would need and MRI. So they sent me home in a neck brace with meds. A couple of times a year I would go to the ER when I would have what I called flare ups but I was always told they saw something on x-ray, but basically couldn't help me without insurance. I also saw a chiro once but for me that only made matter's worse. Two years ago I finally obtained health insurance and started to see a neuro surgeon. Last June I had a lumbar fusion. My neuro surgeon made me decide on which to fix first my back or neck. I also suffered with back pain since age 16 and I am now 39. That was a very difficult decision for me but I figured that I should decide on my longest injury. Believe it or not I am still in recovery as it hasn't gone so well. I usually post on the Back Problems Boards. About two months ago I started with pain in both biceps. First it began in my right arm and then a month later in my left arm. I have already experienced numbness in my hands for several months but that is only occasionally. I also suffer with migraine headaches which originated from my neck. Because of the onset of my arm pain my neuro surgeon had sent me for another cervical MRI. I came to this board about a couple of days ago because I didn't understand what one of the findings had meant. I don't see my neuro surgeon until the end of June to go over the report and films. So in the meantime I was just researching and trying to prepare myself. I am praying that he doesn't insist on surgery. I already know that I needed a fusion over a year ago when things weren't as bad. Last year my cervical report had stated that I had 1 herniated disc and 2 bulging disc's. This year is as follows:

Cervical MRI There is straightening of the normal cervical lordosis. There is mild congenital narrowing of the spinal canal. The signal originating from the visualized marrow is normal. There is a broad based central herniation present at the C4-5 slightly asymmetric to the left. There is mild flattening of the ventral aspect of the canal. There is also broad based central herniation present at C5-6 also slightly asymmetric to the left also resulting in mild flattening of the cervical cord. There is a very small central C6-7 herniated disc. There is no evidence of cord edema or neoplasm.

Impression: Herniated discs at C4-5, C5-6, and C6-7 as described. There may be slight superior extrusion of disc material at the C4-5 level. The disc herniations are not markedly large, however, as they are superimposed on a congenitally narrowed canal, they do result in some cord flattening at the C4-5 and C5-6 levels.

I was curios if anyone else had any of my same findings and did not have surgery. I did try physical therapy. But what they did was massage, heat, limited head rolls, and some sort of stimulator. All this did was increase my pain and I was better off without it. I am also interested in speaking with other's that may have had surgery on the same area's that I have injured, and what your outcomes have been with surgery.

I hope that everyone is enjoying the holiday weekend.
    Jeanne

~CERVICAL~Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
    Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
    C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated Discs
    C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.

Fibromyalgia, Bursitis, Diabetes, Anemia, Asthma, Acid Reflux

The following user gives a hug of support to MarianJ:
    SusanneC (09-15-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread