It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• ACDF - 11 days post-op & voice problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2004, 08:07 AM   #1
    helenargon

helenargon HB User
    Question ACDF - 11 days post-op & voice problems

Hi everyone,

First, let me say how helpful these boards have been for my mother, who has been through 5 surgeries in the last year and half, most recently two-level ACDF and fusion about 11 days ago.

She's still been having some pain in her shoulder blades and was pretty scared until I researched this board and let her know that her type of post-op pain is both common and normal!

However, I'm wondering about the following problem -- she had a sore throat and some voice huskiness for about a week, but she sounded pretty normal and was able to talk without a problem.

But NOW, about 11 days after the surgery, her voice is almost completely gone -- very hoarse and she can barely speak.

Does that sound normal at this stage post-op?? It seems that if there was nerve or vocal chord damage, her voice would have been affected immediately -- not 11 days after the surgery.

Any help or explanations would be greatly appreciated!! And thanks again for sharing your experiences and bringing us a great deal of comfort!!

Last edited by helenargon; 06-04-2004 at 08:08 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2004, 10:24 AM   #2
    MzDee

MzDee HB User
    Re: ACDF - 11 days post-op & voice problems

Hi..

Here's my guess.. if she was able to use her voice after the surgery, she's probably fine. I've had sore throat on and off for 5 weeks now post of. I'm thinking that your mother probably strained her vocal chords from talking with her sore throat and now she is completely hoarse. Just a hunch. I'm a singer so let her rest her voice for a few days and see if it comes back. I'm sure it will.

Old 06-04-2004, 02:30 PM   #3
    pattymelt
    (female)

pattymelt HB User

I had sore throat and hoarseness as well as some swallowing difficulties for about a week after surgery. The sore throat finally subsided as well as the swallowing difficulties but I still have hoarseness off and on and have been told this is part of the recovery process. It is especially bad when I first get up in the morning or when I am tired or have talked for a prolonged period of time (such as on the phone). Hope this helps.

Old 06-10-2004, 09:33 AM   #4
    helenargon

helenargon HB User

Thanks very much for your responses -- it's been about a week since my mother's voice got really bad (almost 3 weeks post-op now), and it seems to be slowly improving since she has been trying to minimize her speaking and just rest.

It's still somewhat worrisome considering that she was fine right after surgery, but hopefully it will just continue to improve!

Thanks again for your help.

Closed Thread