It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• neck pain 2 mos after acdf

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-05-2004, 10:14 PM   #1
    hop1

hop1 HB User
    neck pain 2 mos after acdf

hi all! i had acdf surgery on 4/5/05 w/ hardware. did not wear neck brace at all. i am currently in physical therapy due to having alot of pain on the sides and back of my neck and base of my skull. nothing seems to help w/ this pain. sitting in a chair is just horrible. tried muscular injections in neck, zanaflex, tens unit, heat and absolutely nothing has helped ease this pain. just wondering if anyone else has experience this pain and how you have dealt with it. thanks!

Last edited by hop1; 06-05-2004 at 10:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2004, 06:12 AM   #2
    Duckdog

Duckdog HB User
    Re: neck pain 2 mos after acdf

I just posted above, but I suspect you are also having muscle spasms. It seems to me that they feed off themself and keep themselves going until that pattern is stopped. It sounds like you have tried all of the normal routes. I rely very heavily on hot showers that seem the relax those muscles. You may also want to try a soft collar for a while. It seems to relax those muscles as you wont have to use them to keep your head up.

I know that when this last bunch of spasms started on me, the normal thing to wonder is if something is going wrong... but I find it hard to beive that even after 2 months,(3 in my case), that those bones are not even starting to fuse.

My N.S. said that he believes therapy sets more people back, than haelps them, in acdfs. Go figure. Good Luck.

Old 06-06-2004, 06:13 AM   #3
    Duckdog

Duckdog HB User

I just posted above, but I suspect you are also having muscle spasms. It seems to me that they feed off themself and keep themselves going until that pattern is stopped. It sounds like you have tried all of the normal routes. I rely very heavily on hot showers that seem the relax those muscles. You may also want to try a soft collar for a while. It seems to relax those muscles as you wont have to use them to keep your head up.

I know that when this last bunch of spasms started on me, the normal thing to wonder is if something is going wrong... but I find it hard to beive that even after 2 months,(3 in my case), that those bones are not even starting to fuse.

My N.S. said that he believes therapy sets more people back, than helps them, in acdfs. Go figure. Good Luck.

Old 06-06-2004, 10:23 AM   #4
    HDrider

HDrider HB User

Certainly not trying to give medical advice here but it sounds as if you need a good muscle relaxant with some pain meds to get that under control. At least break the cycle.

Old 06-06-2004, 04:08 PM   #5
    neckache35

neckache35 HB User

Hi Hop1. I was just curious, why didn't your doctor order a neck brace after surgery. I thought that was an absolute must after any neck surgery?

Debbie

Old 06-07-2004, 12:46 AM   #6
    azureskyz

azureskyz HB User

I too am just over 2 mos. post-op. I am having the same muscle spasms. It's VERY uncomfortable alot of the time. My NS says no therapy yet. He says be patient healing takes time. I rely on my medications: Soma and Tylenol #4 for relief when needed. It helps. He also has me use the soft collar which helps too. Good luck.

Azureskyz

Old 06-07-2004, 02:22 PM   #7
    hop1

hop1 HB User

Debbie, NS said that by putting the plate in my neck a brace was not necessary. Just had xrays done today and NS said all looks well and is healing properly. She has no idea why I'm still having so much neck pain. PT does not help, nor does anything else I've tried! It's frustrating!

Old 06-08-2004, 06:26 AM   #8
    Esmo77
    (female)

Esmo77 HB User

I would be very concerned about the fact that there was no brace required by my doctor. I wore my Philly collar for 4 weeks and soft collar for at least 4 more. No P/T for me. Doc doesn't believe in it for fusions. He feels the less movement the better at least for the first 6 months. I am now in P/T 8 months out for spasms and tension but am getting better. I guess every doc has a different opinion. 2 months is not a very long time considering my doc told me up to one year to heal totally. I have been in alot of the same pain you described for most of this healing process. Good Luck.

Old 06-08-2004, 02:29 PM   #9
    pattymelt
    (female)

pattymelt HB User

I have been in a hard brace (Miami J) collar for 10 weeks and will probably be in it for a good while longer as I had four levels fused with plating and had both posterior and anterior incisions, but I really feel this brace is necessary in my case - I take it off at night and when showering. It is cumbersome and hot since summer has arrived, but if it helps, I will wear it as long as my NS says. The PA told me at my last visit that the NS may let me wean off of the collar after my next visit which is two weeks away after he sees my next x-rays. This is a long hard recuperation and I really do get impatient at times, but considering the risks of not having the surgery (paralysis, continued pain and progression of symptoms) I can take all the time it requires and do whatever it requires to get through this recuperation period. My advice to anyone having this surgery is to rest when you feel like you need it (I know for moms with families to care for this can be very difficult) and try to keep a positive attitude - this will get better! God bless and good luck to anyone contemplating having this surgery. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Pat

Old 06-08-2004, 03:03 PM   #10
    hop1

hop1 HB User

it is so nice to "talk" w/ people who've had this same surgery as i have! the pain gets really bad some days. i bought a soft collar so i am going to wear that as much as i can and see if it helps somewhat. just got the report from the mri taken prior to my acdf surgery in april. it says i also have "mild degeneration and herniation at levels C3 and C4". i didn't know that before today! my surgery was on C5/6 and 6/7! so now i am concerned about the c3 and 4 levels! i'll have to ask ns what this means as far as what i can and cannot do! my husband is wheelchair bound so i have to help transfer him quite a bit! thanks all for your replies....helps to know you're all out there!

Old 06-08-2004, 03:29 PM   #11
    more
    (female)

more HB User

Hop1 - you had done the same levels I had done. I was also told I had slight herniation at C4/5. I was in a Miami J hard brace for 6 weeks. The only time I could take it off was in the shower and at night I could use a soft brace (used the soft brace one night and was in more pain the next day so never used it again).

After doing away with the brace I got the pains in my shoulders and back continuously. I was sent for PT which helped.

About six months after the PT stopped I was having a lot of pain again in the neck and shoulder area and was sent for more PT - the therapist did mainly massaging of the area and said it was muscle spasms. These spasms were so bad that she even suggested I return back to wearing the hard neck brace when they got bad. I did this for about one month - wearing the brace at work for 2-3 hours at a time - and this definitely helped. Now I am down to very limited pain unless I find I overdo it. When I get the pain the best thing I find is to have the massage.

Closed Thread