It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Nerve Pain when Breathing

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-20-2004, 07:13 PM   #1
    Lynne45
    (female)

Lynne45 HB User
    Nerve Pain when Breathing

For 3 months, I've experienced nerve pain in my left chest, shoulder blade area and ring and pinky finger on my left hand when taking a larger than normal breath (sigh, cough, sneeze). Also, when my hands get cold, the pain in these 2 fingers is constant. An MRI revealed some moderate stenosis in my C-spine mainly at C5-6, but my doctor said this would not cause the pain in my fingers because I would have to have a problem at C8-T1 for these symptoms to occur. Another doctor told me we would probably never know the cause and that I would probably just have to live with it. Neither of these doctors are neurosurgeons, and neither referred me to a neurosurgeon. Has anyone ever experienced this type of pain when taking a breath and not had a problem at C8-T1?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2004, 05:44 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Nerve Pain when Breathing

That is rather strange as the symptoms and locations of your symptoms do appear to correlate with the c-7-8 nerves.i suffered some very sigificant nerve damage to my C-7through T-1 nerves due to a spinal cord surgery and i know for a fact that the ring and pinkie fingers are completely numb but tingley on my L hand.You definitely need to see a nS.See if you can get a referral to a good one since your doc does not seem to want to help you.You need some answers here that he does not seem to care about.good luck and keep me posted.Marcia

Old 06-21-2004, 05:54 AM   #3
    jcjiii

jcjiii HB User

has anyone checked to see if you have a problem with the ulnar nerve? maybe at the elbow? That is where my first surgery was because my first signs were at those fingers. A year later and two surgeries later I am no closer to getting the numbness resolved. It's funny your doc says C5/6 would not be the cause of the finger issues. I was told the same all along by previous docs and therapist, that the ulnar would be impacted by C6/7 and C8/T1. So when I was referred to the surgeon because if the issues in these fingers and the MRI showed problems at C5/6 and C6/7 he said he would fix both levels. I went to surgery and in surgery he opted to only do 5/6 so needless to say my hand issues did not change at all.

Sometimes when there are problems in the cervical area you can get a double crush and there could be problems at the ulnar. Maybe they would check that.

Old 07-05-2004, 05:22 PM   #4
    Lynne45
    (female)

Lynne45 HB User

Thanks for the input. My doctor offered to do a nerve conduction test and suggested that the problem could be in the elbow area, but when I asked him if this would also cause the nerve pain in my left chest and shoulder blade when breathing, he said no. So, there was no reason to do the nerve conduction test.

I've been wondering about something. My MRI showed a probable hemangioma in the T1 vertebral body. I wonder if that could possibly cause my symptoms. My doctors haven't even mentioned the hemangioma... I just happened to read that when I got a copy of my report.

Old 07-06-2004, 04:23 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Yes it is quite possible that the angioma might be causing the symptoms that you are describing.Depending on just exactly where this sits in relation to the C-8 nerve, it could be compromising it in some way.I had/have a hemangioma that resided at the C-7,T-1 level that started to cause all kinds of hidious problems.I still have ten percent left inside the cord that they could not remove as it would have caused me to endure even more significant nerve damage than I already have.I was suffering with some of the most horrid gnawing type pain that was coming from underneath my R shoulder blade.It actually felt like alot of pressure under there,and felt like someone was trying to pry off my shoulder blade with a crowbar.I would actually have to push my entire shoulderblade area into the wall just to try and relieve that intense pressure I was feeling.if I pushed the shoulder into the wall, it felt like I was giving kind of a back pressure?and I would actually feel some relief.The shoulder blade pain was by far the worst symptom I was suffering with before my surgery.I think you need to discuss the hemangioma in much further detail with a doc who knows alot about them.keep me posted.Marcia

Old 07-06-2004, 04:53 PM   #6
    Lynne45
    (female)

Lynne45 HB User

Marcia,

Did you have any relief of your shoulder blade pain when lying flat? It seems that when I'm lying in bed, I have no symptoms... It's only when I'm in an upright position. What was your age when diagnosed with DDD, and what symptoms do you have with this?

Old 07-07-2004, 04:48 AM   #7
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

If I remember correctly, i did have more relief when lying flat.I have such a messed up C-spine that I didn't know just what pain or sensation was coming from where,but the shoulder blade pain was most definitely coming from the angioma.That particular pain actually left with the resection surgery,but it only managed to cross over to the opposite shoulder blade along with all kinds of new and exciting pain and bizarre sensations.My angioma and the C-spine problems were Dxed at the same time.The angioma showed up on the MRI I had in order to Dx what disc was herniated.up until that time, I didn't even know it existed.I was not having the shoulder blade pain right away,it kind of started right before my first surgery to try and fuse the C-6,7.I just noticed one day that it felt like the pain that I had in my upper shoulder area from the disc problem was kinda moving down into that right shoulder blade and then it just stayed,even after the surgery.it just kept getting worse.

The pain from the DDD is more of a constant ache,but like I said my c-spine is just a mess and i am dealing with bulges stenosis,arthopathy and bone spurs so as you can imagine, it is not really easy to pinpoint a definite symptom to one particular problem.I also have alot of scar tissue in there from the surgeries.i am really most afraid of the scar tissue forming inside my spinal cord as this could be more devistating than the actual removal of most of the angioma was.I was around 40 when Dxed with all of this crap.From what i have researched on angiomas, they seem to show themselves when you hit around 40 years of age.I hope this helps some.If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask okay?Marcia

Old 09-12-2004, 12:36 PM   #8
    samieaz

samieaz HB User

Hello. I have similar symptoms, along with pain, stiffness in my neck and migraines. I just got my MRI results and they state "mild bulging from c5/6-c6/7". According to my MRI records, there is no C8, it goes from C7 to T1, but anyone please correct me if I'm wrong. My neurologist is trying to tell me that the "mild bulging" is not the cause of my arm pain, numbness and fatigue nor my neck pain nor my migraines, but I beg to differ. Because I have an HMO, it's hard to get referrals right away. My PCP (primary care physician) also sent me to a Rhumetologist who is also saying that the MRI results are not showing where my pain is coming from. I'm lost, but still looking and I hope that you find what you seek as well. Please post your findings so that we can learn too. Thanks.

Closed Thread