It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Acdf And Driving

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-26-2004, 01:27 PM   #1
    garion64
    Inactive

garion64 HB User
    Acdf And Driving

just curious at what point did anyone begin to drive after acdf ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2004, 11:03 PM   #2
    secondfiddle

secondfiddle HB User
    Re: Acdf And Driving

My NS told me no driving until my 6-week checkup. I was wearing the soft collar all the time until then as well, except while sleeping. I have done minimal driving since then, and I'm now 10 weeks. It is getting easier of course, the bumps and starts/stops don't hurt my neck as much. But trying to back out of a parking place?

I think the most I've driven is maybe 5 miles. My range of motion is much better, but I'm still not really confident on the road yet. And now whenever I park, I do it so that I can pull out going forward and not backward. I still need to look left and right, but not BACK left and BACK right. It would probably be a lot better if I had one of those big SUV's too.

Old 06-28-2004, 11:54 AM   #3
    HDrider

HDrider HB User

I waited 9 days after my ACDF to start riding my motorcycle. Dr said 10 days to drive and that was close enough. Never did wear a collar of any kind. My surgery was about 2 and a half weeks ago. I feel great.

Old 06-28-2004, 03:08 PM   #4
    more
    (female)

more HB User

I began driving at the 6 week mark. The day after the collar came off I drove. In the beginning I was very cautious- never parking where I could not just drive out.

It has been 2 years and I have found I have lost some movement in the neck and notice it mostly when driving. The part that I find the hardest is backing up. Also, I find it hard when coming to a point in the road where two roads merge into one. I found that I needed to learn to turn my whole body at these points, not just my neck, to get the full view.

Good Luck - take care and before you know it you will be back to driving the distances you did before your surgery.

Old 06-29-2004, 06:33 AM   #5
    garion64
    Inactive

garion64 HB User

thx for the replys so im on track for the most part i started driving to work again. corse my doctor does not know but i have no choice. plus i feel fantastic but im not ready to ride my motercycle my hats off to ya HDrider
    i dont know how you rode so early id be scared to losen things up im a bodybuilder and im not chanceing anything that could hinder my healing so ill wait till doc says i can do the bike but trust me im jelious i want to rind mine BAD!!!!!!
    good luck all to a speedy recovery

Closed Thread