It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Has anyone had ANTERIOR CERVICAL FORAMINOTOMY

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-29-2004, 08:30 PM   #1
    neckache35

neckache35 HB User
    Has anyone had ANTERIOR CERVICAL FORAMINOTOMY

Hi Everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone has had Anterior Cervical Foraminotomy. My ortho doc wants to a Posterior Cervical Foraminotomy. Today I called a neurosurgeon from my health insurance book. I actually spoke to the doctor. He was very nice. He said that he performs the same procedure that my ortho doc wants to do, but he does it through an anterior approach.

He did mention that he does a small fusion with bone, but does not use any plates or screws. I have an appt with him on Thursday so I will get more information.

I was happy to hear that he could do the procedure through the front. To be honest I am really scared about having it done through the back of my neck because they have to cut through so much muscle. I am afraid of developing scar tissue and muscle pain in the future.

If anyone has had this procedure I would love to hear from you. I have to make a decision soon.

Thanks,

Debbie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2004, 05:34 PM   #2
    NYFUSED
    Veteran
    (female)

NYFUSED HB User
    Re: Has anyone had ANTERIOR CERVICAL FORAMINOTOMY

Debbie,
    I really cant help you out but can tell you the a posterior foraminotomy/lami at the c-spine level IS painful and a longer recovery. I had c6-7 done in 6/2003 and still have muscle pain etc.

good luck
    Lori

Old 07-06-2004, 07:50 PM   #3
    dave2222

dave2222 HB User
    Re: Has anyone had ANTERIOR CERVICAL FORAMINOTOMY

I had an anterior microforaminotomy performed by Dr. Jho on June 15th at C5/6 and c6/7. The procedure took 2 1/2 hours. Three hours later I was walking the halls with my wife. The next morning we drove home---normal drive 4 hours, but we stopped a few times & stretched it to 6 hours.

The worst problem I had was a sore throat and a bit of difficulty swallowing which lasted a day or so. The neck was a bit sore for a few days but nothing to speak of.

I had the procedure to remove bone spurs. All of my pain from them was gone after surgery. I developed some muscle spasms in my shoulder which have subsided with some ultrasound and massage. I'm virtually pain free for the first time in many months. I built a fence and did odd jobs around the house during the past weekend---once again for the first time in months.

I hope this helps.

Closed Thread