It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Activites after ACDF

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-06-2004, 01:38 PM   #1
    kolt

kolt HB User
    Activites after ACDF

Now that I am on the road to recovery I was wondering when if ever I could return to some of the things I love. I am 9 days post op and doing good. I know it will be several weeks/months before any real activites can be attempted, but would like to hear what activites people here have returned to after successfull ACDF. Me and the wife were planning a ski trip to colorado the week between Christmass and New Years ( 6 months from now ) is this an achievable goal? And how about golf? I love the game and hate the thought of giving it up, but with all the twisting I am wondering if I will ever be able to swing the clubs again? Thanks for the replies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2004, 07:04 PM   #2
    EmtShirl
    Veteran
    (female)

EmtShirl HB User
    Wink Re: Activites after ACDF

Kolt ~

Glad to hear you are doing good after your surgery. Nine days is really soon to think about a lot of activity but I know how you feel. I am not sure what level/s you had done so that may be a big deciding factor in what you can or cannot do along with what hardware you had put in.

Depending on if there are other levels with problems as well and what you doctor will say will also play a roll in this. I would really worry about skiing though. You know the "what ifs" that go along with that sport. you have been told that it takes about 18 months for your fusion to fuse solid right?

The best judge will be you and how you feel along with what your surgeon says. You sure would not like to have to go through this again.

The Best to you!
    EmtShirl

1980- Transaxillary resection of 1st rib and division of band (left side)
    1982- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
    1985- Transaxillary excision of cervical rib (right side)
    1991- Laser stapedectomy (right side)
    1992- Fractional D&C
    1992- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
    1996- Lumbar hemilaminectomy
    1999- Left knee arthoscopic surgery
    2001- Laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy
    2002- L5-S1 Microdiscectomy
    2002- L4-L5, L5-S1 Anterior inter-body lumbar fusion with cages and my own bone from left hip for bone graft
    2002- Neck problems Surgery??????
    2002 DEC 21- C4-5, C5-C6 Anterior Cervical Corpectomy with Fusion and Internal Fixation (Bone from the bone bank)

Old 07-06-2004, 09:35 PM   #3
    TinaW
    (female)

TinaW HB User
    Re: Activites after ACDF

Good News!!!

There is life after ACDF!! I am amazed at how well I am doing! I had my surgery in Feb. and I started mowing grass and doing lawn care in late April. I have since moved into some big landscaping jobs, and I have moved on to updating homes on the market for realtors in town.
    I am a woman, and still after working a long day I have to remind myself of that, and THAT I HAD NECK SURGERY just a few months ago. It just goes to show just HOW BAD I WAS FEELING BEFORE!
    I remember after my surgery thinking I would really miss putting out a garden, and that I would never use a shovel or a rake again, now I feel like I live with a rake (or shovel, or lawn mower, or paint brush, or.....lol) in my hand. I not only put out my garden. I have worked on other peoples gardens.
    SO take it easy, (I know that sounds easy) recover, listen to your Dr. and your limitations, time will pass, you will heal, and recovery will make a huge difference in your life! I hope for you that by Fall you will have to remind yourself that you had surgery!
    This a a good time in your life to remember....and this too shall pass.

Good Luck!!! Tina

Old 07-07-2004, 06:19 AM   #4
    kolt

kolt HB User
    Re: Activites after ACDF

Thanks for the replys. I had ACDF on the disc between c5-c6 w/donor bone screws and plating. I don't think I have any other problems. I haven't been to my first post op yet so I haven't been able to talk about these things with the doc yet. I never asked him pre op. I know I should have but I was more worried about getting rid of the pain to worry about life I guess. I have always been very active. Golf at least once a week, skiing in the winter, hunting , fishing, taking care of the yard, ect.... Now I have fear of being a coach patato.

Old 07-07-2004, 07:27 AM   #5
    EmtShirl
    Veteran
    (female)

EmtShirl HB User
    Wink Re: Activites after ACDF

Kolt ~

A couch potato NO! I don't believe for one minute you will become a couch potato. If there is no other problems at any other level and you have screws and plate you should be fine to do almost every thing you did before. Take caution though. I say this because it is common "once fused, there will be more." Now this depends mostly on if you have problem discs already. If your problem at C5-6 was not from an injury then I would be more careful because the chances that other levels "may" have problems already. I am not sure how your doctor will deal with telling you if there are other problem levels now. Some doctors won't say nothing while others will tell you if there is.

The levels above and below your fusion site will now have to do all the work that C5-6 did so they will have a work out now.

A bit about me here..... I started years ago with lumbar problems that were not an injury of any kind that I can remember. After the long road of non/less invasive treatments and 2 microdiscectomies (first one was 5 years almost to the day of the second one) I had L4-5 and L5-S1 fused anterior with BAK cages and bone (that's it). I am doing very well except I may/pretty sure will have to have surgery to put rods and screws in now posteriorly for micro-movement. My back side and back of legs have numbness and burning now.

Just days before my lumbar fusion I had a cervical MRI and found out that my cervical spine had some problem levels. Six months after my lumbar fusion I had Cervical C4-5 and C5-6 fused, with a corpectomy at C5. All is good for what that surgery was for. I now just last week had C6-7 fused anterior with donor bone plate and screws. The plating at C4-6 was removed and didn't have to be put back on. This is GREAT!

I will be on a 2 week family vacation and when I come back we have to decide when my next surgery will be and that is to have C2-3 and C3-4 fused and plating from C2-C7 posteriorly.

I just wanted you to see what can happen even if you are very careful and have other discs with problems. I am now a retired EMT/Firefighter. I had to retire a few years ago because of my spine problems. I did work after my first tow surgeries but when the fusion was done I decided I could or should I say wouldn't put my body through any more.

The list of things you like to do that you posted seem to be things that you will be able to return to. Just think about waiting with the skiing trip thought. That is just my thoughts. I can not do any more activity that puts my body at risk with jolting of any kind and that includes roller coasters, horse back riding, falling on my bottom. You get the idea.

Overall I am doing very well and learning to adjust my life (which is still hard). My surgeries have all been successful in why they were done. I do not regret not even one of them. I now have to face the hardest one yet and that is the C2-3, C3-4 levels. I will deal with it and I will over come what ever it is that needs to be over come. Keep smiling and you will be OK!

EmtShirl

1980- Transaxillary resection of 1st rib and division of band (left side)
    1982- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
    1985- Transaxillary excision of cervical rib (right side)
    1991- Laser stapedectomy (right side)
    1992- Fractional D&C
    1992- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
    1996- Lumbar hemilaminectomy
    1999- Left knee arthoscopic surgery
    2001- Laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy
    2002- L5-S1 Microdiscectomy
    2002- L4-L5, L5-S1 Anterior inter-body lumbar fusion with cages and my own bone from left hip for bone graft
    2002- Neck problems Surgery??????
    2002 DEC 21- C4-5, C5-C6 Anterior Cervical Corpectomy with Fusion and Internal Fixation (Bone from the bone bank)

Closed Thread