It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Bone Spurs?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-07-2004, 06:02 PM   #1
    artchyld

artchyld HB User
    Bone Spurs?

Anyone had bone spurs on your neck and felt them? I have a spot I feel on the back of my neck that feels "bony" (only on the left back side). A MRI showed bone spurs and a bulging disk, however the orthopedic doctor I am going to seems to believe that the knot is more muscular. I don't think so. Can bone spurs cause some major problems with your neck, like stiffness, grating, popping, etc. AND....will they go away from rubbing bone against bone or is surgery required?

Artchyld

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2004, 05:51 AM   #2
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
    Re: Bone Spurs?

Spurs, I believe, are caused by calcium deposits, as far as I know they do not go away, or at least any of the ones I ever had didn't. In fact I had one grow to over an inch in length in my shoulder which in turn cut into my rotator cuff. The funny part of it was I had several x-rays and they didn't see this huge monster growing in me, it took an MRI to barely see it, they did see the tear though. When they opened me up they were a bit suprised to see this large spur and of course removed it and repaird my rotator.

They can cause alot of pain and grinding nose. I had several in my c-spine when I had my ACDF in February and they cleaned them out for me.

Old 07-08-2004, 07:13 AM   #3
    artchyld

artchyld HB User

Thanks. If they are calcium deposits, is that too much calcium, do you think, or just flukes of nature? I take a calcium supplement everyday, but it's just 50% of the daily requirement. I am a vegetarian but I eat a lot of other calcium enriched foods.

It's funny that your bone spurs would show up real well with all that testing.

Thanks again,

Artchyld

Old 07-08-2004, 12:32 PM   #4
    Mistina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mistina HB User

I don't beleive with back problems that they are caused by lack of calcium. That is what they are as far as what they are made up of but I don't think that this has anything to do with it.
    I've been having major lumbar problems for three years now and last summer I demanded surgery because of the 'lump' or "pertruding bone spot" on my spine that I felt when I pushed on it and it hurt really bad if I pressed there. I had MRI and bones scans and nothing showed up also. I KNEW that I had this spurring as certain positions caused more pain because the spurs were in a position to trap nerves, etc. I just knew there was something in there. Well, when the doctor cut me open, he was very suprised and said it was no wonder I was in so much pain. He found a huge spur that has been growing off of the facets and trapping my nerves along with doing the discectomy he removed all the spurring. Well, at 8 months I was in the same pain. It grew back and I've come to find out that my disc space has narrowed so much that the facets are overloaded and rubbing together causing the spurring and I'm gonna have a fusion at that level to stop the excessive and painful motion cause they will just keep coming back in my case. That is just my situation though. I believe that the spurs are made up of calcium deposits but something is usually causing them.

Old 07-08-2004, 04:40 PM   #5
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Found some more info and also found that for the spinal column it's a result of the ligaments thickening. Some spurs I know are comprised of calcium but it has nothing to do with too much calcium, that's actually a different problem.

Definition: Bone spurs, or osteophytes, are bony projections that form along joints, and are often seen in conditions such as arthritis. Bone spurs are largely responsible for limitations in joint motion and can cause pain.
    The reason for bone spur formation is the body is trying to increase the surface area of the joint to better distribute weight across a joint surface that has been damaged by arthritis or other conditions. Unfortunately, this is largely wasted effort by our body as the bone spur can become restrictive and painful.

Bone spurs themselves are not problematic, but they are a signal of an underlying problem that often needs to be addressed. Bone spurs are often documented to help assess the severity of a condition such as arthritis.

Old 07-08-2004, 05:51 PM   #6
    artchyld

artchyld HB User

Yeah, I read that in a medical book I have, that bone spurs could be removed but there is no guarantee that they won't come back. At this point my problem is not so intense that I can't function. I have always pretty much done what I wanted even with this problem. It would have to get very bad before I consented to surgery. Some days it is quite tolerable, but every once in a while I hit on a day that it just plain hurts, all day long.

Thanks.
    Artchyld

Closed Thread