It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 2 weeks since ACDF

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-12-2004, 04:11 PM   #1
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User
    2 weeks since ACDF

Hi All,

Well I'm two weeks since my surgery on C5-6 and C6-7.

Took a road trip to my lake cabin which is about 100 miles. We stopped a couple of times along the way, but I really wasn't having any problems with the ride.

I am feeling really good. The only problems are:

Difficulty sleeping - the collar drives me nuts and wakes me.

Some pain in my left shoulder if I stand too long. The muscles tighten up if I don't rest them.

Did I say the collar drives me nuts!

All of my pain prior to surgery is gone! The arm and hand feel 20 years younger.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2004, 06:23 AM   #2
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
    Re: 2 weeks since ACDF

That's great to hear! I too had a world of difference after my surgery it was amazing. Fortunately for me I didn't have to wear a collar so I didn't suffer like many of you do. I honestly feel bad for you all.

Just remember no matter how good you feel take it easy. Expect about 6 or so weeks for near complete recovery from the surgery. Overdoing it will prolong that.

As far as your shoulder have someone give you a deep massage after putting heat on it for about 20 minutes. I had the same problem but more near the shoulder blade, the heat and massage did wonders. It was something they actually started doing in therapy for me and I continued doing it after therapy ceased. I still get tight sometimes but mostly because I over do it or just hold my head to stiff.

Old 07-13-2004, 12:34 PM   #3
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User
    Re: 2 weeks since ACDF

Yeah, I have found I have to take it easy, I feel so good, it's easy to overdo it.

I am a heat guy from way back have used it for years to help my pain. As soon as I tightened up I put the heat pad on, and massaged the area. After a little rest, it loosened up.

Thanks for the input.

Closed Thread