It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Firm or soft mattress?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-12-2004, 05:08 PM   #1
    JenEbean
    (female)

JenEbean HB User
    Firm or soft mattress?

What do you prefer. Firm or soft? I bought a firm mattress but hubby can't sleep on it so we put a foam mattress topper on it. Now I feel like it is too soft for me. Wake up in the morning in a lot of pain. Does it really make a difference?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2004, 06:19 AM   #2
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
    Re: Firm or soft mattress?

A mattress can make the world of difference, especially for those who suffer from spinal problems. You just have to find the one that works best for you.

I have run the gammut of mattresses from a orthopaedic waterbed, to a firm one and now a Tempurpedic. I love my Tempurpedic mattress, it has made alot of difference. I used to wake up every morning with severe spinal pain, now I only have the problem maybe once a week. The toppers are nice but not nearly as effective as the complete mattress.

Also, not sure if you do this or not, but if you sleep on your side it's actually better to sleep with a soft pillow (semi flat) between your legs, it keeps the hips more aligned as well as the back. I started doing that when I was really young after a doctor told me I had to after a hip reconstruction. I find now that I have to have that pillow there and I also hug one because I have some shoulder issues too. Kinda funny to see so many pillows on the bed but if that's what it takes to get a comfortable night's rest then so be it.

Barbie

Closed Thread