It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• C5/C6 AND C6/7 With Inter scapular Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-20-2004, 05:59 PM   #1
    Mary.T
    (female)

Mary.T HB User
    Question C5/C6 AND C6/7 With Inter scapular Pain

Hello everyone, can someone help me out here, I have posted on this board on and off now for about 2 years. My neurosurgeon has offered me artificial disc replacement at the C5/6 and C6/7 levels, I live in London- UK. It has been left for when I reach the end of my tether with symptoms to call and my name will go down for surgery. In the last few weeks I have started getting a sharp pain slightly lower down the back, and feelings similar to symptoms of an ulcer. I went to see the neuro privately last week, and he advises this new pain (which if I didn't know better, would swear to it that a dagger must be sticking out of my back), is called inter scapular pain, which he believes is coming from the neck. Has anybody else experienced these symptoms, if so could you please come back to me and let me know, Keep smiling everybody. I really enjoy reading these posts, as there are not really any websites available here, where you can talk to people with similar problems. Regards, Mary.T

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2004, 09:24 AM   #2
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User
    Re: C5/C6 AND C6/7 With Inter scapular Pain

Hi,

I just had ACDF on C5/C6 and C6/C7 (June 30th). For many years I had a stabbing pain in my chest from the front through the back on my left side about mid ribs. Felt like a knife from the front, but just a dull ache from the back. This was one of the first symptoms I had 20 years ago that caused me to call an ambulance, as I thought I was having a heart attack.

It was diagnosed originally as an ulcer.

It's gone now!

Dennis

Last edited by dennisgb; 07-21-2004 at 09:26 AM.

Old 07-22-2004, 04:16 PM   #3
    Mary.T
    (female)

Mary.T HB User

Dennisgb, Thanks so much for your reply, I do wish you well. Did you ever experience symptoms of suddenly feeling sick, or like you had a tennis ball stuck in your throat. I'm hoping these are related to possible gullet inflammation due to anti inflammatories. These strange things that happen make everything so wearing. If I do go on the surgeons list here it will probably be a minimum of 9 months before I get the surgery, I guess that dagger will just have to stay put for the time being. I too use heatpads, and wheat filled packs that you warm in the microwave, I work in a veterinary practice, and we have them on hand all the time for the animals !!!!

Old 07-24-2004, 01:00 PM   #4
    boxer_dog_luv
    (female)

boxer_dog_luv HB User

Hi Mary T., I too had dagger-like pain in the rib cage on the left side along with ringing/snapping/clicking in the left ear x 2 years, and also frequent headaches which I never considered neck-related. Just like dennisgb, I had surgery ACDF on 6/30/04 at C5-6 and C6-7. No specific cause or accident for the bulging disks--just years of computer use. My NS used donor bone and no plating. Before addressing the neck, he did left carpal tunnel release 7/11/03 to rule out carpal tunnel causing the symptoms. I felt great immediately after the ACDF surgery--so good to be free of all the symptoms above that no doctor wanted to relate to my neck problem because according to them my MRI "didn't look that bad." My NS had nothing further to add after the surgery about the diagnosis. Immediately after surgery, my postop surgical pain was about 10% of what I had been dealing with for 2 years. I took the Percocet as instructed for only two weeks and never awakened at night so never took any at night for the 8 or so glorious hours of great sleep that I was enjoying. Now after surgery with all the variety of symptoms resolved, I feel great and am focusing on following NS's orders for recovery and know in my own mind now that my pain was very real to me. For a while there, I had lots of self-doubts that maybe I couldn't deal with pain as well as I should and my mental state was deteriorating before the surgery. Good Luck! Malia

Last edited by boxer_dog_luv; 10-10-2006 at 11:52 AM.

Closed Thread