It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• New here! Neck, shoulder & arm pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-24-2004, 02:12 PM   #1
    mishyl

mishyl HB User
    Unhappy New here! Neck, shoulder & arm pain

Hi,
    I'm new to this site. I have been having pain, achiness and light tingling in my left arm, shoulder pain and neck pain and pressure in my head for a month now. It started in my arm and then I got pain in neck and shoulder. I went for an mri in my arm when pain began shooting down (also have a lump in arm that ached off and on for well over a year). Nothing serious was in arm, just fatty tissue developing. I went back to doctor when the pain went into neck and shoulder and was told I have a pinched nerve. I was given a steroid shot that seemed to worsen stiffness and pain in neck and sent to Physical Therapy. Every time I left PT(3x week) I was worse but continued hoping that this would eventually help. I was put on hold now for PT. Friday, I went in to PT crying and was sent to doctor and was given vicodin and flexeril(also already on 800mg ibuprophen 3x day). I just had cervical mri this morning and hoping to get answers. I'm a bit nervous after reading some of these posts, but am getting lots of info. I have 3 children and taking care of them and the house is getting tough. Some days I can tolerate the pain and other days just getting up and walking feels like torture. Anyway, thanks for listening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2004, 02:39 AM   #2
    Kamden
    Veteran

Kamden HB User
    Re: New here! Neck, shoulder & arm pain

Hello, I am sorry to hear you are going through so much pain. I have also been through neck pain, stiffness, head pressure, arm tingling etc. from severe whiplash in a car accident and physical therapy helped me immensely. Are you receiving soft tissue work? This is where they knead your muscles by hand. What treatment did you receive at PT? Once we know the results of your MRI it may be easier for us to help you with your treatment options, so please post your results here when you get them. Good luck and I will come back and keep an eye out for your reply.

Last edited by Kamden; 07-25-2004 at 02:46 AM.

Old 07-25-2004, 08:26 AM   #3
    mishyl

mishyl HB User

Hi,
    In PT, I was mostly doing neck rotations. I had some ultrasound and traction but any kind of pressure on the back of my neck makes the pain worse. The PT did some massaging. It seems as if anything I do makes it worse. I go back to my Dr on Thursday and I'm hoping to get some answers as to what is causing all this pain. I'll
    post again when I get some results from the mri. Thanks!

Old 07-25-2004, 09:01 AM   #4
    Kamden
    Veteran

Kamden HB User

Good, I hate waiting too but atleast they will know what they should be treating. Thanks for replying.

Old 09-12-2004, 08:54 AM   #5
    samieaz

samieaz HB User
    Question Re: New here! Neck, shoulder & arm pain

Hello,

I too am sorry to hear that you are going through this. I am also in the same boat. My pain also started in my arms, I was diagnosed with Tendonitis then poss. Capul tunnel, but that was later ruled out. PT 3x per week, no help, Dr. threw his hands up and told me to see someone else as he didn't know what's was going on. My pain has increased in my shoulders and neck and I developed severe migraines. I get dizzy, nauseous and my neck gets very stiff as well at my upper extremeities. I was insisting that I have Thoracic Oultet Syndrome, but Dr's are saying no. However, Dr's only focus on the frist rib as a poss. cause of TOS, but there is also a diagnosis of Disputed TOS that is very controversial. I had an MRI done of the cervical spine. Results: bulging discs c-4/5 to c-6/7, but Dr's say (Rhumatologist and Neurologist) that this would not be causing my pain. I find that hard to believe. I have a call into my neurologist to discuss this further because the pain has to be coming from somewhere.

What were your MRI results and where are you now in this process? I look forward to hearing from you and from anyone else that has information they would like to share regarding this issue. [ removed ] Thanks so much!

Last edited by moderator2; 09-12-2004 at 03:58 PM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Old 09-12-2004, 10:38 AM   #6
    solardust
    Veteran

solardust HB User

Hi , I am 4 wks post-op since fusion of level c6-7,and honestly have to say that I am so much better since surgery, compared to that terrible pain prior,neck, shoulder arm, wrist and cramping in palm of hand,I did not know of this board prior, and will be honest there too, I would have been pretty scared and worried, and after reading some of my own posts since surgery,I am guilty of not saying much about the positive side of surgery,so I will correct that now,prior I could not even focus on a 1/2 tv program, or conversation, sleep was little if any,crying was alot if not constant ,stores ,shopping,nope,now I am active in my family again, went to pick and save and felt like a little kid,participateing in life, went to a fireworks display last night,yep I do have to deal with the neck brace, and yep there are other things that go on, but just the fact that I can come over here to the puter and ask about them is a big deal,I was just out talking to the people next door about the roofing they are doing,yep recovery is slow and ya gotta watch your activity, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, and believe me, I am a worry wart from the get go,hence the reason I do have alot of posts here,but rest assured it does get better, [ removed ] ,just knowing that others have been there or are there is helpful.Diana

Last edited by moderator2; 09-12-2004 at 04:01 PM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Old 09-14-2004, 05:40 PM   #7
    mishyl

mishyl HB User
    Unhappy Re: New here! Neck, shoulder & arm pain

Hi! Thanks to everyone that has responded. I had 2 mri's. One on my arm that show a 3mm mass(possibly phlebolith or injection granuloma?) The doctor said nothing to worry about but report from mri says to get plain radiograph(x-ray) for calcification. Doctor never sent me for anything. And the 2nd mri was a cervical. Doctor also said my neck was perfect and when I picked up the report, it said I had minimal anterior spondylosis and mild biconvex scoliotic positioning, no impingement seen. I don't know much about any of these things but it sounds like something even if it is small. I'm told I should have had a mri w/dye but I didn't. I also had an emg that came back positive for a pinched nerve. Neurologist recommended an mri (which I already had, go figure. I told him when I was there and supposedly the reports where sent to him). I'm scheduled to go back to neurologist on Oct. 1 and I hope he can help point me in the right direction because my reg. doctor doesn't know what to do. In the meantime, I'm on neuronton 300mg 3x, vicadin, flexeril and diclofenac sodium and still am in pain. I've stopped physical therapy because I was always worse and ready to go to emergency room and pray to be admitted. Help! Thanks for listening! I'll give an update when I have one.
    Michelle

Old 09-18-2004, 12:19 PM   #8
    simsim29

simsim29 HB User

Hi.i'm new here as well. About4 or 5 months ago I started working out hard at the gym especially lifting weights. When i take a power nap half of arms (from wedding ring finger and pinky) go numb right when i wake up. THen i started getting a bad pressure in my head. I thought it was sinus headache is it felt like my head was going to explode. I have a vein on the left side of my forehead and its size doubles when my head hurts. Until 3 months ago I would wake up to a severe headache. The pain goes from my right shoulder and upwards to half of my head causing me a severe migrane. Usually taking 800ml of prufin takes care of it. Unfortuenately I found myself taking 1600ml of profin and the pain did NOT change a tiny bit. ALso everytime i lye down on bed I feel a throbing pain and my whole body throbs with it. Kinda like as if my heart wants to break out of chest. I thought it was just stress. but then that happened when i was so relaxed or just woke up. I went to a physical therapy doctor. Took x rays and MRI of the spine. Everything is normal. I saw 4 other doctors and they all said that I need to take hot showers and take it easy and stop working out. I forgot to mention that the pain in my back was so amazing it actually moved from one spot to another. 1 minute its on my right shoulder blade then it's in the middle of my back then on the left side then in the upper middle etc etc....right now as i'm writing this the pain is more of a burning sensation. My doctor put me through 24 PT sessions. The pain got worst after the first 4 or 6. By the time i hit the 12th session most of the symptoms went away. I was left with some minor aching spots in my back. The doctor used 4 poles on my back that contracted my back muscles as it sent something like electricity. then a modest hand massage, and then used the ultrasonic machine on the spots where i felt pain then ended up with some head exercises like pushing my head forward against his hand then backwards, sideways and rotations. I took 20 shots of B12. he said they are good for the nerves. Before I felt much better he made me take a mild anti-depressant. He said that my brain was maybe sending the wrong signals thus creating this fake pain in my back!!! (whatever!!)... I have to say that I did feel a little bit better or at least didn't get more depressed over my health situation!! Since mid Aug til last week I was almost like before. No pain or headaches or dizzziness or throbing pulses. I even went back to the gym and started jogging and doing aerobics. NO weight lifting though. However last weekend I moved some heavy boxes and stayed behind the computer monitor for 4 hours editing my work. I felt my neck ( i think around C6 and 7) getting stiff and burning. The next day i woke up to a headache. ALL of the symptoms i had 4 months ago are BACK!!!
    I just came back from the doctor and did a PT session. he says that my cervical cords are causing the problem. Also said something about me having a chronic muscle fatigue or something like that.
    The PT sessions did make me feel sooo much better. but i was not cured. I still dont know what exactly is my problem. I"m trying to get another MRI for my neck just to be sure. My doctor doublts there is anything wrong like disk problems. But i wanna do it just to be sure. I asked this India neuroligist doctor and he said that i just need to be less active to allow my back muscles to recover for at least 6 months. At this point I just wish i can die or something..otherwise I can't imagin myself living on Ibprofin and muscle relaxants or on PT sessions. I'm only 30!!! HELP ANYONE!!!!!!

Closed Thread