It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Just an update (ACDF C56 & C67 3-16-04)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-27-2004, 10:45 AM   #1
    grace2

grace2 HB User
    Just an update (ACDF C56 & C67 3-16-04)

Seems like I used to live on this board and now I haven't been here in awhile. I am on schedule as far as healing is concerned. My last visit with the neurosurgeon was 7-19. He said my x-rays look good and the cages are fusing well. The bone is coming over the front of the cage in the x-ray. He released me unless I need anything else. I no longer have to wear the bone fusion stimulator. Hated that darn beeping thing! We went to Six Flags in June and I called to ask if I could ride anything. They laughed and said "You're only 3 months out, you can only ride the Yosimete Sam ride". (In Arlington, the slowest, most gentle cartoon boat ride). I avoided most everything like they said but I did ride the Superman Tower of Power and loved it! I know it was stupid, but I had ridden it before and knew that it wasn't jerky or anything. It gives a thrill like a rollercoaster, but no jerking or going side to side. I rode it twice and it had no effect on my neck whatsoever so please don't gripe at me.

I do still have some soreness and stiffness, but the NS said that is normal. He added a lot of height two both spaces so it will take awhile to heal. Nothing unbearable. I still have a bottle of pain pills and refills on muscle relaxers so I should be good for now. He offered me physical therapy, but I'm not going yet. Can't decide, since there is a co-pay every time I go. He ordered 3 x's weekly x 4 weeks. He also said I can go to the chiropractor if I insist, (Ha Ha) but not to let him touch my neck for at least a year.

Anyway, just wanted to jump in here and say how much better I am feeling. Hard to believe how bad I felt in Jan/Feb of this year. There is life after ACDF - it may not be completely pain free, but it's not all bad. Hang in there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2004, 02:16 PM   #2
    nero
    Veteran
    (female)

nero HB User
    Re: Just an update (ACDF C56 & C67 3-16-04)

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!

I too am post acdf with own bone/plate c5-6/major spinal cord compression as at Nov 03 and microdiskectomy/laminectomy l5-s1 April 04.

I am soooooooooooooooo happy to hear of another good story as far as recovery. You are so right that there is some kind of life after all this... it takes a lot of gumption sometimes and also a lot of proactive behaviour but it is possible.

Every day I wake up I think what if this is my last day and I was to seep into the same pain threshold I had prior to surgery and thus I utilize every minute as best I can and enjoy it and try to be the best possible friend and spouse I can be.

I get anxious too about certain physical activity but I treadmill now again as I did prior to surgery and there is less pain just some major adjustments to how I chose to participate along with others... limiting can be upsetting when you are in serious pain but limiting yourself to avoid pain feels like I finally have some control over my circumstance after four years of this plight.

I hope others are inspired and try as we have.. to move on that is... as last night I responded myself to one enquiry for the first time in months.

All the best Grace and all those souls who are attempting to deal with this...

Nearly new again... Nero

Last edited by nero; 07-27-2004 at 02:18 PM.

Old 07-27-2004, 07:36 PM   #3
    DonnaKay
    (female)

DonnaKay HB User

Hi girls!

Grace - I'm so happy to hear of your good recovery. You are a lot braver than I am by getting on that ride! I don't know what it is ... is it like an elevator? Anyway ... keep up the good work!

NERO! Hello!!! I am SO happy to see you posting as well! I just started back to the board ... as I lapsed into pain (and depression about that pain) late April to June. We lost my FIL and my husband and I were mowing 3 yards a weekend ... I was being stupid ... but I felt like Superman! Anyway, after some therapy (massage, heat, cold, electrical stimulation?) and stopping any type of extracurricular activity, I am back to my old self - no pain. VERY happy about that! I have done more strenuous stuff since getting back to the no-pain, but only a little at a time so that I know what caused it.

You girls have made my night!

Have a good one!

Donna

Old 07-28-2004, 08:37 PM   #4
    nero
    Veteran
    (female)

nero HB User

Donna Kay... AWWWEEE.. soooo glad to hear from you tooooo!!!
    Sorry to hear of relapse but I did the same thing trying to paint a little and I got recoiling which was major pins/needles.. I got so depressed I looked up pain clinics as I thought I cannot do this myself again.. but 5 days later... it slowly dissipated. We try too much too fast too soon the physio girl told me and said I have done well but HONESTLY rest up ... we are both the same I imagine.. you take care now.. sorry about your loss of FIL.. that alone can cause some upset I am sure.. You are a good soul and you deserve major pain relief sooo put your feet up and make a spritzer (wine/perrier) and celebrate the lack of major pain and control you have to minimize same now and forever... your friend .. nearly new again... Nero

Last edited by nero; 07-28-2004 at 08:40 PM.

Old 08-02-2004, 08:01 AM   #5
    grace2

grace2 HB User

Hi Nero and DonnaKay! I'm glad you are both doing better. Nero, I remember reading most of your posts when I was preparing for surgery. I love your "Nearly New Again" sign off, so I remember your name well.

I'm just so glad to be done with it and hope it never happens again. If it does, I'll deal with it then. I absolutely loved rollercoasters and thought I could never ride one again. The Superman ride was a good substitute. It is basically a freefall from very high up. Your are locked in your seat and I was able to brace my chin to make sure my neck/head didn't jerk at all. AND it's fun!

Be careful, take care of yourselves and have fun. My best wishes to you all.

Grace

Closed Thread