It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Is anyone uncomfortable driving after ACDF?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-30-2004, 07:23 AM   #1
    jbabbit
    (female)

jbabbit HB User
    Is anyone uncomfortable driving after ACDF?

I had a hard collar on for 6 weeks. When I could take it off my neck muscles were tight and sore...which the NS said they would be. I have driven only twice so far but neck doesn't move as far as it used to. It's hard to back up or turn head enough to see when changing lanes. Does this get better? I am 7 1/2 weeks post op now and was wondering if you guys have had this trouble and when it gets better...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2004, 01:25 PM   #2
    boxer_dog_luv
    (female)

boxer_dog_luv HB User
    Re: Is anyone uncomfortable driving after ACDF?

I went for 4 week postop yesterday and Aspen collar was removed. My neck is tight and stiff although painfree. NS said he will see me again in 4 weeks (8 weeks postop) and will talk about neck exercises and until then no driving. Hopefully I will loosen up; I am not supposed to return to work until the day after Labor Day. Good Luck!

Last edited by boxer_dog_luv; 01-29-2007 at 11:58 AM.

Old 07-30-2004, 11:38 PM   #3
    Magui

Magui HB User
    Re: Is anyone uncomfortable driving after ACDF?

I had an ACDF in October 2003 and took my collar off six weeks after that. I had a horrible time driving for the first week I took my collar off. It hurt to turn my neck, so I couldn't see my blind spots and backing up was hard. I had to do it very slowly (like a little ole lady). Anyway, I think part of it was because I was in pain and the other part was that I was afraid to turn my neck. My neck didn't do anything for 6 weeks and I didn't want to mess anything up, plus I think my muscles got so used to not moving that they were so tight. What I did was neck stretches twice a day. Morning and night. I would just move my head up and down, and side to side as much as I could without hurting myself. Just to stretch the muscles back out. When you stretch be sure to hold for 10 seconds when you go down, when you go up, and too each side. After I did that for about a week it go much better. I still have some hard times (every now and then when I am having a stiff morning or day) but it gets much much better. Hope this helps!

Closed Thread