It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Juvenile disc disorder

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-23-2004, 04:51 AM   #1
    jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney HB User
    Question Juvenile disc disorder

Long story short, I have a 14 y.o. son who has been complaining intermittantly about lower back pain. The pediatrician said he certainly does not have scoleosis because his back is as straight as a pin, and he ordered an x-ray. The x-ray results caused the pediatrician to recommend a visit to the orthopedist; the pediatrician also mentioned Scheuermann's disease. Being the impatient, worried mother that I am, I have been all over the internet looking for information. From what I have read, Scheuermann's causes curviture, and the vertebrae become wedged shaped. I have come across x-rays on line that look just like my son's (it appears on some of the vertebrae the corners are eaten away; rather than being a nicely formed rectangel, some corners are indented), and from what I can tell, I am suspicious that he has Juvenile Discogenic Disease. We don't get to see the Orth. for another 3 weeks, and I can not find much information on this disease/disorder. Can you all share anything you know about this...especially the effects, prognosis and if there is anything I can do to slow/stop progression?

Thanks so much, Joann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2004, 08:23 PM   #2
    MarkE

MarkE HB User
    Re: Juvenile disc disorder

Hello jmcdelaney,

I also have Scheuermann's kyphosis, a.k.a. Scheuermann's disease. It is important to note that Scheuermann's kyphosis/disease is not actually a disease it is a spinal deformity. The vertabrae are not eaten away at the corners as you suggested, what actually happens is simple, the endplates of the spine never formed properly. This causes mild to severe kyphosis depending on the person (kyphosis is when there is too much forward curvature of the spine.

Yes, there are things you can do to stop, slow, and even IMPROVE a person's curvature. If the person is young and still growing, such as your son, bracing is an option. As the person grows in the brace they will gradually grow straighter over time. This is probably what your orthopedic surgeon will recommend. If bracing fails or the person is skeletually mature and they still have a severe curve surgery is an option. The surgery they will perform is an Anterior and Posterior Discectomy Fusion with Instrumentation of T4-T12. I had the surgery and went from 82 degrees of kyphosis to a normal 38 degrees of kyphosis. The doctor may also recommend physical therapy to relieve some of the pain.

If you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask.

Good Luck,

Mark

Closed Thread