It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Home neck traction gizmos?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2004, 07:43 PM   #1
    bobnorth
    (male)

bobnorth HB User
    Home neck traction gizmos?

Who among you has a home neck-traction device? I'd like opinions on if they work, what kind they are. I'm considering buying one to delay any more myelopathy with dx'd mild cervical stenosis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2004, 11:00 PM   #2
    desertrat25
    (male)

desertrat25 HB User
    Re: Home neck traction gizmos?

I used one for about a week with no results. The neurosurgeon prescribed it and told me to use it for one hour in the morning and one hour at night, It was very uncomfortable. I had one that was over the door and used a bag of water for weight, it cost about $35. Take Care and Good Luck

Old 09-16-2004, 05:25 AM   #3
    rgsmoose
    (male)

rgsmoose HB User

Before I had any surgery my neurosurgeon recommended the same over-the-door kit that desertrat25 has. I used it for a few months and it really helped with the arm pain and numbness. I kept it and used it whenever the radiculopathy symptoms were getting worse. That's what they're helpful for.

Unfortunately I ended up with myelopathy too, which is compression of the spinal cord, not just the nerves going into the extremities. I can't see that any kind of traction would help with myelopathy unless it was being caused by bulging or herniated disks. Is this what is causing your cord compression? If the compression is coming from bone spurs or osteophytes, then traction probably won't help.

Good luck.

Old 09-16-2004, 12:18 PM   #4
    Kamden
    Veteran

Kamden HB User

I also had one the neuro. prescribed that hung over a door. I had a mild bulging disk in my neck, and severe muscle strain. It was very uncomfortable, and didn't do a thing for me except pull on my muscles more and make me feel worse. Some people have good results but this naturally depends on what their diagnosis is.

Old 09-16-2004, 12:33 PM   #5
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User

I had one of the over the door deals. I have to agree with Moose, it didn't work, mainly because I had spurs and restricted nerve passages.

Old 09-16-2004, 01:36 PM   #6
    hatcher

hatcher HB User

I've had a home traction unit for 4 months now and I love it! Mine is the kind that you lay on the floor and pump it up with a thing like a bicycle pump. I use it each evening for 10 minutes. I have cervical arthritis, bone spurs, herniated disk, pinched nerve, stenosis and cervical ribs. I was diagnosed with all but the ribs in March of this year. I've known about the ribs for 18 years. I went through 6 weeks of PT in March where they did traction. Then they ordered the home traction unit for me. Anyway, I swear by it. It brings me lots of relief and I'm mostly (not totally) symptom free now. I can tell a difference when I skip an occasional evening. The cost is fairly high - they billed my insurance company around $800 I think but so far I haven't had to pay anything. But even so that is much, much cheaper than surgery. Which I will put off as long as I can, hopefully forever.

Closed Thread