It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• failed L4-5 Fusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-21-2004, 03:15 PM   #1
    jskrib

jskrib HB User
    Question failed L4-5 Fusion

Hi,
    Was wondering if anyone else out there has had a failed spinal fusion? I had L4-5 done in June of 2003, fusion has failed and now I am in almost as much pain as I was before surgery. My doctor keeps sending me for facet blocks to see if he can pinpoint where my pain is coming from, starting to feel like a pincushion. Anyone been in a similar situation?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2004, 06:53 PM   #2
    solardust
    Veteran

solardust HB User
    Re: failed L4-5 Fusion

Hi, I have no reply's ,sorry, but I have a question , so hopefully we both get some idea on this,my surgery was Aug 13th and of course I am not fused as of yet, I had donar bone and hardware,but I do not have that godawfull pain,Thankgoodness , but why?we are both not healed, where does the differant lye??? Thanks for shareing the space,solar

Old 10-20-2004, 12:19 PM   #3
    ebintl

ebintl HB User

I've had an L4/L5, S1 fusion in 2001, then it failed and was redone in 2002. The L5,S1 failed & was redone in 2003. The dr thinks it healed, but I'm in horrid pain & have terrible digestive problems. I don't smoke - so don't know what's happened. Hope u do well - I wish u the best.

Old 10-20-2004, 09:41 PM   #4
    funnylilmama

funnylilmama HB User

I'm supposed to have surgery Nov. 5th. I have a degenerative and herniated disk at L4-L5. I want to find out another way. Any help here is appreciated. Are there many success stories? I have 8 children and 5 are under the age of 6. I need my back to be in good working order.

Old 10-23-2004, 07:00 PM   #5
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Jskrib
    I am sorry that your fusion has failed. You had your fusion in the same month as I did. My films have showed what looks to be a solid fusion on one side, and almost solid on the other. My neuro surgeon has explained to me that the only way to truly know if a patient is fused is to go back in, meaning surgery...
    I am also in a great deal of pain. I do see a pain management doctor and with taking my pain medication's my pain level stays at a level six. But I also have severe pain in both legs and feet. I just posted on another thread about a member's fusion failing. Has your doctor sent you for any testing? I think most of my pain is coming from scar tissue, epidural fibrosis. I do pray that your surgeon can help you and I will keep you in my prayer's.
    Jeanne

Lumbar MRI 1/20/04
    Impression:
    Small amount of post operative fluid collection at level L4 which does not appear to communicate with the thecal sac.
    Encasement of the thecal sac at L4-5 level by enchancing soft tissue, consistent with epidural fibrosis.
    Displacement of the left S1 nerve root, consistent with epidural fibrosis.
    Lumbar Myelogram 2/26/04
    Impression:
    Mild indentation on the subarachnoid space is noted at the level of L4-5 & L5-S1 where there is non-specific soft tissue slightly displacing the subarachnoid space.
    Lumbar Post Myelogram 2/26/04
    Impression:
    L4-5 non-specific soft tissue is noted in the dorsal & ventral epidural space..
    L5-S1, there is non-specific soft tissue noted in the ventral epidural space slightly displacing the dural sac posteriorly.
    EMG 9/13/04
    Distal Peroneal Neuropathy Bilaterally
    Bilateral Chronic L4 versus L5 Radiculopathy
    ~CERVICAL~
    Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
    Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
    C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated Discs
    C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.

Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Bursitis, Tendonitis, Diabetes,
    Anemia, Asthma, Acid Reflux, Migraine's

Old 10-26-2004, 06:57 AM   #6
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Solar,I think the big difference in your case vs jsks is that you have the hardware to hold everything in place while things heal.and jsks is boppin around in there from time to time and possibly pressing on the many nerves down there.I had the same problem in my neck with a fusion surgery that did not fuse,and had the same type of symptoms.it sucks!personally,just from my experience with my own fusion that did not take, i would never have any type of a fusion surgery in the future that did not include hardware.It just improves your chances for a good fusion.How are things supposed to heal 'together' if they are under constant movement?makes good sense to me,now.I wished I had thought of it back then,i would have avoided many problems,horrid pain,and most importantly another surgery.marcia

Closed Thread