It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• NFL player has acdf and returns to the game

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-23-2004, 02:41 PM   #1
    aspen2cody

aspen2cody HB User
    NFL player has acdf and returns to the game

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/10/09/Bucs/Herniated_discs_will_.shtml

Mike Alstott had this surgery and has returned to the NFL this year. I dont know if any of you are big football fans but this I found to be encouraging to me. If his doctors can release him to play football after his bones fused that gives us hope that we can return to what we used to love to do.
    jerry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2004, 04:37 PM   #2
    solardust
    Veteran

solardust HB User
    Re: NFL player has acdf and returns to the game

I think that is great news, I wonder how long ago he had surgery,no matter good news no matter how ya look at it!

Old 09-23-2004, 04:54 PM   #3
    nero
    Veteran
    (female)

nero HB User

My chiro told me about a football player who did go through cervical fusion and went on to win the Heintzman?? award.

I think it radically depends on if there was any spinal cord compression and its longevity.

I believe my acdf made a difference BUT I have major pins and needles when I lean, or exert myself on any minor level. Yeah the radical cut off my arm pain is gone but today I had the first day of my course and we weren't allowed to sit much as its floral arranging. My shoulders and especially the pins and needles were fierce BUT I hung in there.

I really wondered what kind of work I am ever going to be able to do. I came home and took a 1/4 percocet just now and I feel pretty sore. THat is not even my old job of computer work for law clerking or piano teaching/playing with my 40 students. Its almost a year since fusion and 4 months six low back surgery.... I am fit as a fiddle re; treadmilling and weight but I feel very downhearted thinking of dealing with all this pain on a daily basis again just from sitting in a course.

I marvel at these people but its like comparing a break in your neck vs a disc herniation on the cord. The two don't compare.. the former believe or not is often less painful.

I am hopeful too... I try really hard.. but you just have to bump into me and I am riddled with pins and needles... I can't imagine being tackled. LOL.

This is a good story because everybody's case IS DIFFERENT and it gives us all quite a bit of hope. Thanks guys!!

Nearly new .. Nero

Old 09-23-2004, 06:04 PM   #4
    aspen2cody

aspen2cody HB User

When Mike Alstott got injured (the second time) against Indy he lost feeling in his legs and arms but the feeling came back. Thats what made him decide to have this surgery he was afraid that one more hit with his herniated disc would cause a much more severe injury, according to all the articles I read about him. But thats the crazy thing about these surgeries is that it seems no 2 people have the same outcome. Even with me a friend of mine that I work with had the exact same surgery, same disc and same surgeon. He didnt have the numbness under the chin or the muscle spasms afterwards. He had numbness in his hands before surgery which i didnt have, but all of his symptoms were gone after surgery. This has been a burden for me , because I have expected the same results. He used is own bone for the fusion because he smokes and I used donor bone. He is now doing everything he done before without any pain whatsoever post 6 months op. The pain he had post op was only in his hip from the graft. Im sorry for the way Im over the place Im just in a lot of pain right now.

Old 09-23-2004, 07:10 PM   #5
    solardust
    Veteran

solardust HB User

Its all in the way we are wired,some have the pain others the loss of feeling and such, the pain I had prior to surgery was god awfull,and in the recovery room ,I could not shut up about the way it just went away, my youngest daughter even made the remark that I looked like a young kid,which I bet I did, I was so relieved, now the pain I have is in differant places, differant ranges,and some make ya hold your breath, cuz fear strikes makeing me believe it may not go away ,just plain crazy,car rides send me to the chair,which saddenes me, cuz as most know, I am a school bus driver, and I truly loved that job,so I am not sure what I will end up doing.I also have c5-6 buldging yet, so who knows when that is gonna decide to raise its ugly head,the friend of mine that broke her neck, takes heavy duty muscle relaxers,cuz when she goes to lay down for bed , her legs spasm and go straight up,she also has constant pins and needles on one side of her body,and when the injury 1st happened she was very hyper sensitive on one arm, just a slight touch of her skin made her want to vomit,nerves are a strange thing , thats for sure,but all in all I guess time will only tell,I am just glad we have one another to share, complain and share good times with,cuz to me nothing is worse then being trapped in my head second guessing and well....thinking the worse.Diana

Closed Thread