It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Does anybody suffer from the pins and needles symptom?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-23-2004, 05:05 PM   #1
    nero
    Veteran
    (female)

nero HB User
    Does anybody suffer from the pins and needles symptom?

I started a course today and all the leaning over was pretty taxing on my back especially to create a floral arrangement.

Throughout the day the pins and needles that I get usually when I bump into something or cough/laugh or over do it were everpresent.

I had this quite badly from my fall four years ago with the spinal cord compression and was told it may lift from surgery or may continue/remain as a result of the damage on the cord.

Today it clearly onset from the leaning; overuse, relatively nothing major to a non injured back person. I felt really irritable as it is quite painful.

Is it that the disc at different levels still bangs up against the cord... is it that the nerves have been so damaged little agitation sets them off. I am curious as I can hardly move tonight.

As well what is the anticipated xrays I am to do this year (being Nov.04 )to disclose about my fusion. Any insight or comparisons would truly be appreciated. Maybe I can stand differently !! I feel a little desperate tonight to avoid this pain again. My course is only one whole day a week for five weeks and then continues to the next course but frankly this is discouraging.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2004, 07:20 PM   #2
    solardust
    Veteran

solardust HB User
    Re: Does anybody suffer from the pins and needles symptom?

Nero, I get my xray done on Nov 1st,so I will let ya know how that goes, I get the pins and needles across the top of both shoulders and in the pinky and ring finger both hands, and if real worked up it travels midway up my left arm, I rub my icy hot type cream on it, that way I get a differant sensation then those damn pins and needles,I posted on the other message about my friend that broke her neck, I was in her hospital room something like day 14 when a doc came breezeing in, she asked about that feeling (Pins and needles) that she has across the whole half of her body,and he was really rude, as he walked out he replied, get used to them,cuz they are more then likely there to stay!What an ***,truly rude,she still has them ,but over rides them somehow,something she cannot explain,I hope ya are able to relax tonight and rest,I think these things will pass as we heal,at least hope they do.Diana

Old 09-23-2004, 08:37 PM   #3
    nero
    Veteran
    (female)

nero HB User

I hope these things do pass Solar Dust. Thanks for responding. I got so horrified that I was back to such a bad pain threshold, again mostly the pins and needles. My whole arm(s) goes numb and I can't feel my hands to drive. Then my feet burn. Its so darn hard to try to prevent as it sometimes wakes me in the night and my upper body is numb and won't wake up until I get up and walk it off. I've been able to mediate it but today was a whole different story. I can't believe I'm back here again.

I try to inspire and try to remain inspired.. I try to compare prior pain to present to remain hugely indebted to the surgeon and god for lessening my pain.

I just am trying so hard to rebuild my life.. attempt a new career, open a business, get a certificate and then I get dumped on with all this pain again. I want to be of some use to others who need me, and to myself.

I was going to go into counselling for pallative care and take the speciality cert. utilizing my university degree but I had an opportunity to start a decor business with a lady who had her floral cert. I am gifted with design so thought I'll take the course to be better prepared and if we can do the small business together I may have a chance at a new future. My hubby said pallative care is a hard job but I have had a few insurmountable tragedies in life that I have successfully managed to rise above.

Today was not overly inspiring. I was bedridden tonight and took another percocet and some Bailey's on the rocks. I told my hubby maybe he should build his aspiring future without me as I feel only able to be a wife, mother and take care of my shih tzu "Sassy" and my aging mom and dad. (he said don't be silly but....) OR, maybe all I have left is my mind, my verbal skills to counsel and help others, which I guess isn't such a bad thing. When I go to use my hands, my arms, it all starts again.

I don't want to whine but having had two jobs and 40 piano students and an incredible love of my work, my life, it gets really hard to admit your body is unable to perform where your head wants to go. I watched the news on Haiti tonight and those poor souls are living 'he.." on earth and I have no right to complain as no one, NO ONE is rescuing them. Tomorrow I'll go and give something to RED CROSS for their plight; maybe that is the lesson for me .....their situation. I still can do something worthwhile.

Thanks for your kind words and response. I don't want to tell my family anymore about my situation.. I didn't want to tell the teacher I HAVE TO SIT DOWN with floral arranging (even though she told us not to) . I hate to give in but maybe accepting all this will help me get on with whatever it is I am destined to do. God helps those who help themselves and through all my pain I felt like there was a light from him.. sometimes distant but still there.

Your friend is very brave.. I used to see the Striker beds for paralysis victims at the hospital I worked in through University. It was so frightening late at night to walk by them as the beds sat out in the hallways waiting for an unfortunate soul. I used to pray it would never be me (or anyone) and cannot imagine why such a person as your friend has to endure that PLUS the ignorance of an insensitive dr.

Years ago my hubby and I lost our first daughter (stillborn) in my 38th week. It was so devastating and I was sent home to carry her till labour came on. Hard to believe anyone can be put through that eh? Luckily my hubby was a pilot and flew with some head of a hospital and I was admitted three days later to induce me or otherwise I would have had to wait up to two weeks like that. THe dr. wouldn't do a c-section and told me it would cause me to have future sections, Needless to say I was pegged high risk and both children I have now were delivered that way. Sometimes horrible people are put in positions of power but it is through your friendship with your friend that you can empower her and help her rise above such ignorant behaviour. I wish her all the best and hope you know how integral your role is to her... she needs you and all your suffering seems not in vain eh?. Well....
    Nightie night.. and thanks a lot my sweet Nero

P>S> Yes.. let me know what your doc says re; xrays.. I am really curious what mine will read and feel better knowing the science behind the request for the xrays.

Last edited by nero; 09-23-2004 at 08:56 PM.

Old 09-23-2004, 09:20 PM   #4
    solardust
    Veteran

solardust HB User

Nero, Please never feel bad for opening up, I know how it is,not wanting to discuss it with the family,cuz like everyone in this world we hate to admitt to limitations,I tend to feel I need to remind them that it has to be differant from here on in, that somehow I need my families permission,silly, maybe but that is how I feel sometimes,and that friend of mine, her accident was 10 yrs ago,she is walking now, I forget the exact term , but on her right side she has full movement and no sensation and on her left side limited movement and too much sensation, the Docs never thought she would walk again,but you know what, she just got plain angry, and stayed that way untill progress was seen,it was and is a tough road for her, but she is brave and bull headed, and I really think bull headed was what worked best,ya know nero, I truly believe you will continue to recover and get better each week, its just that your injury was 4 yrs in the making, my sister had lower back fusion and her NS said you have 2 yrs for recovery, after that one prolly wont get back too much more,nerves just take awhile to recover,and your need to branch out again and regain feeling.I am a classic worry wart, always counting on the worse,but it seems we have been thinking the same on a more positive level also, those beds you mentioned, when my friend first had her car wreak, I thought the same way as you,the same goes for the islands that the hurricane's have ravaged,we are lucky on some level and unlucky on another, that is why I love everyone who posts on these boards,we can relate,without feeling like we are weighing our family down,and as newer people post fresh from surgery, all of us will be able to help them out,I intend to stick around,lol,(that is a warning) and continue to post and read posts,I give you credit you are branching out and willing to go in a differant direction, which is not easy in the best of situations,I am still stuck on being a school bus driver, haha, although I was joking w/my neighbor about going into private detective type career,I think I would be really good at it,hmmmm we will see.And yep I agree about certain Doctors and people that take the power but have no compassion, someone here posted that Doctors should have to had experianced pain,and I agree,nothing worse then looking at a smug face that thinks they know it all!We all will pull through this,just wait and see!!!! sleep well , Diana

Old 09-25-2004, 05:43 PM   #5
    nero
    Veteran
    (female)

nero HB User

THANK YOU SWEETIE. .CLEARLY YOU ARE A TROOPER TOO.. !

Nearly new Nero

Closed Thread