It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Chronic Headache/migraine-problem With C5/6 And C6/7

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-26-2004, 04:20 PM   #1
    Mary.T
    (female)

Mary.T HB User
    Question Chronic Headache/migraine-problem With C5/6 And C6/7

Hello everyone I haven't posted on these boards for some time now. I am at present on a waitlist here in London for surgery on C5/6 AND C6/7. I have had a problem with these for about 4 years. Apart from the usual neck/shoulder pain, arm aches -, I suddenly started to get severe pain lower down the spine, which my NS tells me is interscapula pain that would be originating from the neck. I can go some weeks with just a real bad ache in the neck, and then I get what I call a flare up and the pain in my neck feels like someone is sticking knives straight in there, and the most chronic headache, it feels like the pain is creeping up from the neck into the base of my skull and over my head, and I need to use Imigran injections, to be able to get myself up and about, to go to work etc. Does anyone else suffer from anything similar, and if so do you have any remedy for getting through these bad times. The waitlist for my surgery will probably be 9 months. I would really appreciate any input or advice anyone can give, at the moment I take Diazepam 2mg X twice daily, maybe this is not enough?, Look forward to hearing from someone out there.
    Mary.T

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2004, 08:14 PM   #2
    solardust
    Veteran

solardust HB User
    Re: Chronic Headache/migraine-problem With C5/6 And C6/7

I Have not talked about the headache problem I have been haveing, I think because I do not want to relate it to this issue, but....I had c6-7 fused,c5-6 still remains herniated,the night after surgery I got a headache that started in the back of the right side of my head , where that bone knob is, and moved to the front, and settled right behind my right eye,it has been a problem since surgery 8-13-04,same side and everything,I take an over the counter migrain med,now this is how I can explain it, its not like as bad as a migraine, which thankfully I have only had twice in my life, but is like a nitro headache, which I had after my heart attack, cuz the hosp, had nitro patchs on me,which widen the arteries, and viens, curiously, caffeen which is in the med I take for these headaches is a substance that constricts arteries and veins,these headaches are bad enough that I have to cover my eyes, and sometimes feel like throwing up,my NS will not confirm they are from my cervical probs, as a matter of fact he seems almost upset when I brought it up,so I do not know what to make of it,I am just really hopeing they go away, it seems they strike most often towards nite, so I was thinking they are caused from eye strain cuz of the neck collar I wear,do you have a neck collar on????well....I am not much help but thought I would let ya know, Diana

Old 09-26-2004, 09:02 PM   #3
    DonnaKay
    (female)

DonnaKay HB User
    Re: Chronic Headache/migraine-problem With C5/6 And C6/7

I have been suffering from severe headaches as well. I thought it was from stress ... the doc finally gave me something last week to try, since I was eating ibuprofen/darvocet like candy, and muscle relaxers that I have seem to knock me down (deep depression almost) for three days after just one dose. What she gave me was in the antidepressant family, starts with a t ... trofanel maybe - I was given the generic of imiapriam (sp???). I just went to look for it and it must be in the room where my husband is asleep ... but I took ONE, and it did take my headache away ... but it left me feeling horrible for days. I'm so sensitive to drugs. Anyway ... I hope both of you get the help you are looking for. Going to bed and waking up with headaches is no fun, and then to live with it throughout the day. Oh my gosh ... you have my sympathies. Also, I will be monitoring this thread for any helpful information, as I am sure I will need it to arm myself!!

Thank you for sharing.

Closed Thread