It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 10 days postop ACDF, still have twitching!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-02-2004, 09:53 AM   #1
    clowngrrl

clowngrrl HB User
    Unhappy 10 days postop ACDF, still have twitching!

I just had ACDF surgery ten days ago to fuse my C5-C6 due to a degenerating disc that was putting pressure on my spinal cord (impingement). The disc was also compressing nerves. A nerve test was also done prior to the surgery and it was confirmed that nerve problems stemmed from the C5-C6 area. I am wearing a Phila******a collar for at least six weeks and had to rent a hospital bed in order to have any hope of sleeping.

I am still having problems with muscle spasms. Pretty much everything twitches on its own. This leaves me feeling tense and weak all of the time. I'm on lorcet and valium, but nothing is helping. I've already spoken with my doctor; he doesn't seem too concerned about the symptoms and said perhaps the nerves are just healing. I have my first follow-up appointment in about four weeks. I honestly don't know if I can make it that long. I'm 28 years old and my doctor told me I have the neck of a 70 year old man. Any advice out there?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2004, 10:08 AM   #2
    solardust
    Veteran

solardust HB User
    Re: 10 days postop ACDF, still have twitching!

By twitching, do u mean the leg jerks,arm jerks ect....when resting?If so, yep I have them and I am on week 7 going into 8,my sis had lower fusion says her legs jerked for like 3 months,mine did after stenosis surgery then quit thn had neck fusion, and hello to them again and arn jerks, it is nerves coming back, and I do not think any med helps, or at least the ones I have been getting,They do ease up though,take care and breath deep, its a ride ,but you are not alone,Diana

Old 10-03-2004, 05:32 AM   #3
    zoey1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zoey1 HB User

for some muscle spams can last a very long time after surgery while things continue to heal

10 days is way to soon, ie the nerves are just begining to "wake up from in many cases being compressed for a long period of time "

by month two you should see some improvment, less pain, assoicated with the with musle spams

and by mid month three i noticed as long as i did not over do, or long car rides, the muslce spams went way down in frequnecy

my question is did you get any anti inflmatory (many surgons do not want you taking anti inflmatories right after surgery) with "med mix" muscle relaxers, pain pills, and are you routienly taken your meds and or trying to be brave????

there are great choices out there now from the old stuff i.e. robaxin and generics to fancier newer stuff skelaxin

much well wishes on your continued road to recovery

Old 10-03-2004, 11:44 AM   #4
    Hobbes
    (female)

Hobbes HB User

I had ACDF at c5-c6 on 9/17. I had intermittent twitching just about everywhere before surgery and believe this was tied to pretty significant spinal cord compression. After surgery, I've had some days of intermittent twitching and some days of almost no twitching. Right when I notice the twitching seems to have stopped, it seems to flare up for a bit! I have also experienced muscle spasms where my arms and legs will jerk and move on their own. I'm taking flexeril for muscle spasms and that seems to help. Long story short, I think twitching/muscle spasms are pretty common post-surgery, expecially when cord compression was involved. Hang in there!

Closed Thread