It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• What makes the screws break?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-08-2004, 11:27 AM   #1
    DonnaKay
    (female)

DonnaKay HB User
    What makes the screws break?

I am curious how the screws holding the plate break? My husband and I were talking about this and I think it might be good to know what to avoid! I was thinking it must be due to a car accident, fall or something that would jar it.

I appreciate your input. Thanks!

D

P.S. An afterthought ... what were the symptoms of the broken screws? Can all screws break and the plate fall away? I never thought of that until just this moment.

Last edited by DonnaKay; 10-08-2004 at 01:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2004, 01:22 PM   #2
    solardust
    Veteran

solardust HB User
    Re: What makes the screws break?

the way I understand it Donna, its just the stress of neck movements and such,they are tiny screws,and cannot take much,I know when I first read about the screws breaking I was terrified,and I found out from a newspaper article on my NS shortly after surgery,seems he has a patent on a new device ,maybe thats why he left my C5-6 disc alone for now,untill he can do it a bit better,hopefully others will post with some much needed answers on this, Diana

Old 10-08-2004, 01:31 PM   #3
    DonnaKay
    (female)

DonnaKay HB User

Diana-

I, too, have a disk that will probably need to be repaired. Since it was not symptomatic at the time of surgery he left it alone. He definitely told me it was b/c hopefully there would be something better out there for me by the time I would need it (if I needed it). ;-)

I appreciate that.

Those screws don't look so tiny on the x-rays!!

What I found interesting is that my screws are screwed right into my last fusion. I just wasn't prepared to see that. Kind of gave me the willies. I asked him about it ... he said "it's solid bone!" Well, of course it is! lol

D

Old 10-08-2004, 04:56 PM   #4
    EmtShirl
    Veteran
    (female)

EmtShirl HB User
    Talking Re: What makes the screws break?

I had to laugh when I read about the screws not looking tiny on the X-rays. Sorry guy's! The reason I laughed was because during my cervical fusion just last June my doctor gave me the plate and screws from my C4-5, C5-6 fusion almost 2 years ago because the fusion was solid and the was now doing C6-7 and wanted to put a small plate on just that 1 level. Any way I was shocked to see how BIG the 4 screws and the plate really is!

So they are not tiny on the X-ray and they are also not tiny when they are sitting in your hand either.

1980- Transaxillary resection of 1st rib and division of band (left side)
    1982- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
    1985- Transaxillary excision of cervical rib (right side)
    1991- Laser stapedectomy (right side)
    1992- Fractional D&C
    1992- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
    1996- Lumbar hemilaminectomy
    1999- Left knee arthoscopic surgery
    2001- Laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy
    2002- L5-S1 Microdiscectomy
    2002- L4-L5, L5-S1 Anterior inter-body lumbar fusion with cages and my own bone from left hip for bone graft
    2002- Neck problems Surgery??????
    2002 DEC 21- C4-5, C5-C6 Anterior Cervical Corpectomy with Fusion and Internal Fixation (Bone from the bone bank)

Old 10-08-2004, 05:15 PM   #5
    Mollyt61

Mollyt61 HB User
    Wink Re: What makes the screws break?

Hello Everybody, as some of you probably know, since I have posted it before, my old plate had to come out because of broken screws, two were broken and two they could'nt get out, so two of the four are still in my neck barried in bone, I hope they will never get lose and tumble around my body , and it really looks funny on the x-ray, no plate but 2 stubs of screws and the new device that looks more like a button, they plate looked like a doggy bone on the x-ray, but all that is left now is 2 left over screws and the new device, Just thought you like to know, Martina

Old 10-08-2004, 07:28 PM   #6
    DonnaKay
    (female)

DonnaKay HB User

Martina -

What made your screws (lol) break? Did they just break? And, did you have symptoms from it, was it something you knew happened immediately? In fact, the reason I posted this question was b/c I read about your broken screws. It just made me wonder about how they break and is there anything I can do to prevent it.

Shirl, that's cool your doc gave you your old plate and screws. I know my doc showed me the plate I have, but I did not see the screws. Only on the x-ray.

Old 10-08-2004, 11:17 PM   #7
    Mollyt61

Mollyt61 HB User

Hello, Donna Kay, to answer your question about the broken screws, I did not know of it until my Doc took an x-ray in June when I met with her b/c of shoulder/neck and arm pain, she said one of the screws is boken, and no I never had symptoms of the broken screws, I had the disc below that had slipped. My doc told me that alot of times when you do a fusion that something can happen to the disc either above or below the fusion side since it puts more pressure on it. Well when they did c6-c7 they noted thatactually 2 screws had broken off, scarrry huh. The day of surgery she definitely wanted to get the plate out, I now still have a gift of 2 left over screws. Well I hope I could answer your questions, how those screws can break beats me, since I don't do anything crazy. Take care, Martina

Old 10-09-2004, 05:49 AM   #8
    DonnaKay
    (female)

DonnaKay HB User

Thanks, Martina!

Yes, it is scary that your screws broke without any effort.

After my first surgery I was naive about the domino effect, and I guess I'm trying to be a little proactive (not sure if that's the right word) in my care until my next surgery, IF I have another. Trying to be optimistic, too.

Thanks so much for your input.

D

Old 10-09-2004, 06:53 AM   #9
    Mollyt61

Mollyt61 HB User

Your very welcome, Martina

Old 10-09-2004, 09:43 AM   #10
    solardust
    Veteran

solardust HB User

Lol ok now we know the screws break ,Oh Yeah! and no they are not tiny,so maybe they themselfs do not break, but the bone around it does,which sounds actually more icky,or is it because the disc below or above goes, leaveing more room, hence more stress? Physics lesson, "room 101" Gather tonite, at 8:00pm central,lol we will hash out the meaning of screws and why????they fail,I am as I write tighting my collar, Diana

Old 10-09-2004, 11:19 AM   #11
    Mollyt61

Mollyt61 HB User
    Wink Re: What makes the screws break?

Diane, you are funny, and yes I will attend the class at 8:00PM room 101 did you do your homework, remember we are to test the stability of screws and write a 300word paper on it , Have a good weekend and its nice to have a little laugh in between all the pain we are all dealing with, Thanks Martina

Last edited by Mollyt61; 10-09-2004 at 11:41 AM.

Old 10-10-2004, 12:40 PM   #12
    wdmoor
    (male)

wdmoor HB User

What?? Screws break?? Yuck! I was doing ok till I read that! I'm three weeks post-op and seeing my NS next week, I'm going to grill him on that horrifying info.

Old 10-13-2004, 07:35 AM   #13
    Mollyt61

Mollyt61 HB User

Hello, did anybody else had problems with broken screws from the titanium plate???

Old 10-13-2004, 08:04 AM   #14
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User

Well, they have to hold this together with something!

I tell everyone that asks, that they are sheet rock screws from Home Depot.

On the X-ray, they look to be about a #8 x 3/4" long. Not a big screw, but not tiny either. They are most likely Stainless Steel.

In most cases, you would need to jar them pretty good to break them. If the fusion is solid, it would be hard to break them. Early on it would be easier, but you would still need to turn your head very hard and quick to break them.

The stories I have heard, are related to auto accidents.

Although, my doc says no more roller coasters for me! LOL! Never rode them before anyway, so...

For those who are worried...Stop it! This is not a normal occurance for them to break.

Old 10-13-2004, 08:47 AM   #15
    Mollyt61

Mollyt61 HB User

Hi Dennise, Thanks for the imput, and you know it just hit me, when you talked about the rollercoster, that might have done it, i went to magic mountain a year ago,and took one ride and didn't like it because it was so rough, so the break could have been caused by that ride, huh?? Never thought of it, thanks, well no more rollercosters for me, don't like them anyways, Thanks again Martina

Closed Thread