It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Nerve Root Sleeve Injection/ Anyone else?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2004, 11:14 AM   #1
    Deb F

Deb F HB User
    Nerve Root Sleeve Injection/ Anyone else?

Hello All -
    Can't even remember the last time I posted!
    I am post MVA 8/03. Herniated disc c6/7. Have been thru the barrage of tests, conservative treatments, and medications. Constant pain (radiculopathy) of R/Arm, and whiplash associated symptoms added in just to further confuse and frustrate.
    Anyway, 8/25/04 I had my first injection - outcome, no pain for 6 days!!! Had the 2nd this morning. The MD used more medication, and hit a slightly different spot than the first time hoping for a longer lasting result.(I hope so too.) If this is successful again it is a good indicator (per MD) the surgery to correct the herniation will result in pain relief for my right arm. That almost seems like a dream these days.
    I have lived with constant, sometimes debilitating , pain for over a year. I have had to give up so much of my life... So there is hope. I may not be my old self again, but I could be a much better version of who I've become.
    I still don't tolerate sitting well, and cannot go thru too many of the old threads. So, can anyone tell me if Irish has posted in the last several months? And if so, how is she?
    I guess what I came on to say is if this procedure is on option for anyone, I would recommend giving it a try. Best of luck to all of you.
    Thanks,
    Deb F

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2004, 11:37 AM   #2
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User
    Re: Nerve Root Sleeve Injection/ Anyone else?

Hi Deb,

I had the nerve root injection about a year ago. For me it lasted about a month maybe 6 weeks. The first week or so was really good, then it gradually worked it's way back to bad. I don't think it is a cure, but in some situations it can help. If the nerves are really flaring, it will settle them down. Problem is, in most cases, there are bones spurs, discs or something rubbing on them. Eventually, they will flare again in those cases.

I had ACDF C5-6 and C6-7 with donor bone and plate on 06/30/04. I'm doing very well.

Old 10-13-2004, 11:52 AM   #3
    Deb F

Deb F HB User

Hi Dennis -
    Thanks for your reply. I wish the results were permanent, but I know they're not. If mine could last 4-6 weeks this time I would be thrilled!!! I have tried to steer away from the surgery as long as possible. Will go with a NS who does a microdiscectomy and no fusion when it is time (I'm getting closer and closer.) I have what 2 NS call a swan neck. So, a fusion may cause greater problems for me (too much stress on discs above and below injured site) down the road. I have a healthy neck except for the injury. In the beginning, the NS hoped that because of my age, and healthy discs, that maybe the injured disc would "shrink up" and slip back into place? If it hasn't happened yet, don't think it will. Glad to hear that you are doing well after your surgery! Have to admit I'm still fearin' the actual procedure.
    Deb

Old 10-13-2004, 12:15 PM   #4
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User

Deb,

If they can acually do micro surgery on you, that would not be so bad. I am assuming that you just have a disc that is impinging on nerve, and they will remove the part that is on nerve(s). I've heard where this can work. Recovery isn't very long with this type of surgery.

On the injections: Most doctors only allow 3 of these per year, so it's not something you could do every month or so.

Last edited by dennisgb; 10-13-2004 at 12:16 PM.

Old 10-28-2004, 02:47 PM   #5
    Deb F

Deb F HB User

Thanks Dennis,
    My second injection took 1 week to begin to work, and lasted for 5 days. It was the best I'd felt in over a year.I am now willing to believe that maybe I will be o.k. again. Will see my N/S next Friday, and set-up surgery at that time. Hearing that the recovery time may not be so bad is a very happy thing indeed.
    Deb F

Old 10-28-2004, 10:41 PM   #6
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User

Deb,

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Dennis

Closed Thread