It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Has anyone had a MRI soon after ACDF

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-16-2004, 09:17 AM   #1
    aspen2cody

aspen2cody HB User
    Has anyone had a MRI soon after ACDF

I saw my ortho doc to find out why I couldnt raise my arm and if he thought if it had anything to do with my neck. Since I have no pain in my shoulder unless I raise my arm he believes its a torn cuff. He did some movement tests and has ordered a mri with a dye to see how bad or if it is torn. Has anyone else had a mri so quickly after their acdf and is there any problem since I have hardware in there. thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2004, 07:26 AM   #2
    Mollyt61

Mollyt61 HB User
    Re: Has anyone had a MRI soon after ACDF

Hi Aspen, yes I did too had an MRI 4weeks after the acdf surgery, you don't have to worry about the hardware in you, since it is titanium which will not cause any harm, so relax and have the MRI okay, Martina

Old 10-17-2004, 02:25 PM   #3
    aspen2cody

aspen2cody HB User

thanks Molly, that was what I was worried about. Are you waiting till december to do your shoulder surgery because they want your fusion to be almost complete? Are you going be under general this time for the shoulder? Just a few questions if you dont mind.

Old 10-17-2004, 04:15 PM   #4
    Mollyt61

Mollyt61 HB User

Hi Aspen ya, looks like that I will have the shoulder done closer to x'mas, since my doc wants me to heal on the neck first, which still feels kind of tied. Also I need to watch my general leave time which is at this point 0, since I have been home for 6 weeks since the surgery. Tomorrow is my first day back, that should be fun I hope I don't suffer to much while I am at work. I do work at a school so I have a few days off here and there and 3 weeks off at x'mas I am pretty sure that arthroscopic surgery is under general anesthesia, I have never heard of any other way, I understand is quiet painful so we are in for something , Take care, Martina

Old 10-17-2004, 11:44 PM   #5
    aspen2cody

aspen2cody HB User

Molly my question would be is how do they do a general? Dont they have to extend your head,neck up to insert the tube? My NS doesnt want me to extend my neck (looking all the way up) until 4 months. just curious about that. My ortho doc said there are other ways such as a nerve block under local. I havent got to that point we will see what the MRI shows Thur.

Old 10-20-2004, 06:32 PM   #6
    Mollyt61

Mollyt61 HB User

Hi Aspen, don't worry they wont turn you into an Owl, they just extend your neck a little so that the trachea is fairly straight to get the tube in for general anesthesia, its not to the point were you would look straight up, ok, well let me know what came out of the MRI okay. Take Care, Martina

Old 10-20-2004, 10:36 PM   #7
    aspen2cody

aspen2cody HB User

Thanks Molly, they rescheduled the mri for monday. Since i am allergic to iodine I have to take some meds before the mri. I go to the ortho doc next thur. I will let you know what they find.

Old 10-21-2004, 01:28 AM   #8
    DonnaKay
    (female)

DonnaKay HB User

Forgive me if I've already told you this, but I had surgery under general anesthesia in July and had no problem with how they positioned my neck. Just prior to the surgery, I made sure to remind each anesthesiologist that came in to talk to me about my neck, just so they wouldn't forget! I didn't want to wake up with more problems.

Good luck to you!
    D

Old 10-21-2004, 10:08 AM   #9
    aspen2cody

aspen2cody HB User

thanks DonnaKay, I dont remember you telling me you had surgery in July, I think you had your acdf about 11 months ago though.

Closed Thread