It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• In pain and worried about MRI results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-21-2004, 10:36 AM   #1
    lllblessedlll

lllblessedlll HB User
    In pain and worried about MRI results

Hello, I just need to know if anyone has or is going through what I am right now. Ok, I just got my MRI results back and was told I have osteo arthritis and degenerative disk desease in my neck. I hurt all the time and my neck pops and grinds so much it scares people the way it sounds. I also suffer from migraines and every day headaches and I mean EVERY day too. My doc has me in P.T right now but it isn't helping at all. I have an appointment on Nov 5 to see an ortho doc and I have no idea what he will say or do. This pain is getting to where I can't hardly take it anymore. I have other problems that are preventing me from having any kind of normal life. I have bouts of diarrhea, pain and tingling in my hands,legs and feet and I just would like to know if my neck could be causing all these other problems? Also besides p.t what else could be done to ease all the pain in my neck? I can't quite remember exactly what the doc said about MRI but he also mentioned something about a disk or something pushing on nerve on right side of my neck or something like that. All I know is it hurts really bad and I'm kinda scared about it all and just need to know I'm not alone here. I fell dumb because I don't know anything about this. If anyone knows what I'm talking about or how I'm feeling, please let me know. thanks for listening to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2004, 10:55 AM   #2
    mtngirl62

mtngirl62 HB User
    Re: In pain and worried about MRI results

Hi there; Sorry to hear your in so much pain. I was in a MVA in June 04 and suffered major headaches 24/7, pain on right side, tingling & numbness, pain in shoulderblades and chest wall, blurred vision, pain in legs and bladder and intestinal problems, basically thought I was falling apart. My primary dr sent me to PT, after a month with no help he sent me to a Neurologist, they put me on a sleeping pill thinking if I could get a good full nights sleep my headaches would ease up some, also ordered another month of PT. Nope, didn't help. On 2nd visit to Neurologist they suggested MRI to see if anything is wrong or if it is "just in my head", not 24 hours after report came back I got a call saying I needed immediate attention from an Ortho Surgeon, this was Sept 30 I saw him. He told me in his years of practise that he had never told anyone on the first visit that they needed surgery to prevent paralysis. They scheduled me for his first opening on Oct 12. I am 11 days out of a double fusion C4-5 C5-6 with plates and screws. I still feel like S*** but it will get better I am hoping. I am better then I was the day before surgery but have a long way to go. Best of luck, keep posting, this board is a wonderful source of information.
    Dianne

Old 10-21-2004, 11:45 AM   #3
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User

Hi Blessed,

I like your screen name. I was diagnosed with degenerative disc desease in my neck about 10 years ago. I had the symptoms for a total of 20 years. I donít have osteo arthritis, but had bone spurs pressing on nerves at levels C5-6 and C6-7. I had ACDF surgery with donor bone and titanium plate on 06/30/04. I am doing really well now.

My symptoms were similar to yours, with popping, clicking and grinding. Pain in shoulder, chest, arm, hand and fingers. The feet and bowel problems probably arenít from your neck (they could be, but most likely not). Do you have lower back pain also? Many people with degenerative disc desease also have lower back problems. I have a bad disc at S1/L5 (I think thatís right). It causes bowel problems pain in leg and foot numbness.

As far as other possible approaches, I went to Chiro for about 6 years for my neck. He was able to relieve the pain. Eventually this didnít work anymore. I had steroid shots in my neck. This worked for about a month. This might help with the headaches for a short period.

MRi results tell the tale. Docs will then decide best approach. My gut tells me you will need ACDF at some point

Last edited by dennisgb; 10-21-2004 at 11:47 AM.

Old 10-21-2004, 07:42 PM   #4
    solardust
    Veteran

solardust HB User

Hi, I still have the pain sometimes worse then others, prior to cervical surgery all of my right side was involved,shoulder, arm, wrist,hand,terrible,and both legs felt like rubberbands,had lower back surgery 3 months prior, on L4-5,stenosis,that caused sciatic down one or both legs at seperate times, bowel,and bladder problems,that part is corrected, thanx goodness,but gotta say hurts bad the last 3 weeks or so,thought cuz I was twisting at waist to talk and stuff, due to the collar, but I dont know,left shoulder pains off and on,same with arm, thats cuz C5-6 is still bulged,and a weird bad pain right in the center of my upper spine, I think thats where the collar ends in back, but odd,gee's the list goes on, all I can say, is I am soooo happy, that the right side is better, cuz that pain was horrible , but everyday is better as far as the panic,fear,doubts,out of body type fog,and I seemed to have the blood pressure under control, which also seemed to take care of the daily headaches,now if the lower back would get w/the program! Diana

Old 10-21-2004, 09:00 PM   #5
    lllblessedlll

lllblessedlll HB User

Thank you all for replying. I hate you all have probs too but at least I don't feel alone in this. I will keep you posted as to what happens. Hopefully the docs will finally start doing something and stop telling me it's " Stress or all in my head ".

Old 10-21-2004, 10:50 PM   #6
    NervousMommy
    (female)

NervousMommy HB User
    Arrow Re: In pain and worried about MRI results

Hello,

Read your posts and all I can tell you is BELIEVE in yourself and listen to your inner soul. Now is the time more than ever to get yourself SPIRITUALLY grounded if you BELIEVE.

Secondly, I have a few questions for those that have had the ACDF surgery.

Which do you recommend for the surgery, neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon?

If you have heard of '"cages" for fusion, have any of you had these cages put in? How are you feeling now?

PROS AND CONS OF ACDF surgery without plating.

RECOVERY TIME for SURGERY WITHOUT PLATING.
    What should I get ready ahead of time, that you did not prepare for prior to your surgery.

All comments appreciated~!

Sincerely,
    Nervous Mommy

(All this started when I was in a MVA 3/03)

MRI Impressions:

Cervical Spine: Degenerative Disc disease with posterior disc herniation, greatest at C5-6 which results in impingement of the left half of the cervical cord. Lesser degree of central posterior disc bulge at C6-7 results in mild impingement of the central aspect of the cervical cord at this level. The combination of cervical KYPHOSIS and minimal posterior disc buldge at C4-5 results in subtle contact on the anterior aspect of the cervical cord at this level.

SERIOUSLY, how bad is this MRI IMPRESSION, please help.
    I have NOT had surgery, YET!

Last edited by NervousMommy; 10-21-2004 at 10:51 PM.

Old 10-21-2004, 11:35 PM   #7
    mtngirl62

mtngirl62 HB User

After alot of research in a very short time I went with an Ortho Surgeon instead of a Neuro Surgeon. I am under the impression that Ortho Surgeons preform this surgery much more then the Neuro ones do. Though I am sure both are very capable. Best of luck.
    Dianne
    ACDF 10/12/04 C4-5 & C5-6 with hardware Injury from MVA 06/14/04

Old 10-22-2004, 12:57 AM   #8
    aspen2cody

aspen2cody HB User

NervousMommy
    I went with a NS. But it doesnt matter, you want a doc that does them all the time and you feel comfortable with. The NS I chose does them all the time. I new of at least 10 people he had operated on that said he was the best in the area including my chrio, dentist and my physical thearpist. However I wished I had looked at other options less invasive such as endoscopic discecotmey. Its not because I look at my surgery being a failure, its just its has such a long recovery time to be all the way back to normal and the risks of having the surgery again because of added stress to the other discs. Make sure you take someone with you during all your consultations because its easy to forget some things they say. Good Luck with whatever you choose and we will be here to provide support and encouragement and give you some ideas what to expect along the way.

Last edited by aspen2cody; 10-22-2004 at 01:22 AM.

Old 10-22-2004, 05:53 AM   #9
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User

My surgeon is an ortho that teaches at the University of Minnesota and the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. He also is performing a study involving a new compound applied to the bone to improve the fusion (I agreed to do be involved in study). Over 1000 surgeries have been performed with this compound and the fusion rate is in the high 90% range.

I actually worked with the company that developed the BAK cage. SpineTech is a company located in Minnesota. A good friend of mine made the cages for the original testing of these. From everything I know, they work and the fusion rate is very high, as your own bone fills in around the cage.

Old 10-22-2004, 05:25 PM   #10
    NervousMommy
    (female)

NervousMommy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aspen2cody
    NervousMommy
    I went with a NS. But it doesnt matter, you want a doc that does them all the time and you feel comfortable with. The NS I chose does them all the time. I new of at least 10 people he had operated on that said he was the best in the area including my chrio, dentist and my physical thearpist. However I wished I had looked at other options less invasive such as endoscopic discecotmey. Its not because I look at my surgery being a failure, its just its has such a long recovery time to be all the way back to normal and the risks of having the surgery again because of added stress to the other discs. Make sure you take someone with you during all your consultations because its easy to forget some things they say. Good Luck with whatever you choose and we will be here to provide support and encouragement and give you some ideas what to expect along the way.

Thank you for taking the time to answer me.
    How long was or is your recovery time? From the day of surgery to the day that you can drive, do chores, go to work, and exercise? How many weeks or months? I use to exercise, lift small weights, swim and boogieboard but ever since my MVA 2003 I have not been able to live my normal life!

More importantly, I YEARN to live my NORMAL LIFE,
    For the sake of my CHILDREN, HUSBAND and LOVED ONES I need to be healed.

I do believe in the power of prayer as an advantage in healing...

The information you give me is very much appreciated.

Please, anyone out there, please send me additional information that you feel will help me.

Thanks again everyone who has answered me,

Nervous Mommy Marilyn

Last edited by NervousMommy; 10-22-2004 at 05:35 PM.

Old 10-22-2004, 05:40 PM   #11
    NervousMommy
    (female)

NervousMommy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dennisgb
    My surgeon is an ortho that teaches at the University of Minnesota and the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. He also is performing a study involving a new compound applied to the bone to improve the fusion (I agreed to do be involved in study). Over 1000 surgeries have been performed with this compound and the fusion rate is in the high 90% range.

I actually worked with the company that developed the BAK cage. SpineTech is a company located in Minnesota. A good friend of mine made the cages for the original testing of these. From everything I know, they work and the fusion rate is very high, as your own bone fills in around the cage.

THANK YOU CODY ASPEN DENNIS AND MOUNTAIN,

I APPRECIATE YOUR QUICK RESPONSE, PLEASE ADD ANY ADDITIONAL COMMENTS, I APPRECIATE YOUR KIND SUPPORT!

NERVOUSMOMMY

Old 10-22-2004, 08:20 PM   #12
    DonnaKay
    (female)

DonnaKay HB User

I wish you the best of luck.

I went with a Neurosurgeon. He has done a lot of these surgeries. He has quit accepting new cases, although he told me that he will always take care of me. His primary practice now is brains. I totally trust him, which I think is the key to any of these surgeries whether it be a neuro or ortho.

Both of my surgeries were very different, but I will tell you about the most recent b/c technology has come a long way, even in the 6 years between my surgeries. I went back to work part-time after 3 weeks. I was still wearing my collar (which my surgeon prefers). I worked part-time for three weeks until the time I was released from the collar. I drove the same day. You will see here lots of variations of times that people recover.

I was in very good health for my second surgery and I credit to that given my short recovery time.

I do believe that a lot of the people here go through a depressed state between week 2 and 3 post surgery. Be prepared for that.

Soft, easy-to-swallow foods are good to have in the house. Your throat will be sore for awhile. Be prepared to alter your sleeping habits. Remember to take your pain meds at the prescribed time especially as soon as you are released from the hospital. You'll want to stay on top of the pain. My hospital stay was less than 24 hours, but again, you will see a big variation in this as well. Lots of pillow around me helped. To watch television, and just sit in the family room, I reclined a recliner, sat "indian style" with two pillows on my lap to put my arms on top of, I also had a bone pillow behind my head for support. In bed, I propped the pillows behind my head and back up (like a hospital bed) and put a wedge of pillows under my knees. I slept like that for a long time, until I felt comfortable enough to lay on my side. I know a lot of people here don't ever sleep in their beds, they sleep in the recliners. I am thankful that I found a way to sleep in my own bed. If your surgeon requires a collar (neck brace), make sure you have an extra set of pads so that you can change them out, and let one air dry while you wear the other. Patience is definitely a virtue, but even the most patient people have a problem with this at one time or another. Make sure you do not do anything that you are not supposed to do. Keep in mind that this is your spine and you only have ONE! :-) I know I am forgetting LOTS of things ...

Even though they were very different, both of my surgeries were positive and relieved me of pain immediately. A year and 2 months after my first surgery I gave birth to an 11 pound baby ... SEE! you can still have a normal life. lol

I think you are wondering about plating ... I did not have plating the first go around (1 level), but did have it the second time. The only thing different now is that I have to take antibiotics before going to the dentist. Don't understand that ... but still do it!

Please continue with the questions ...

Old 10-22-2004, 11:18 PM   #13
    mtngirl62

mtngirl62 HB User

Hi again, actually my surgery was only 11 days ago, not 4 months. I am on here about 10 mins max then back moaning and groaning. I will write you directly tomorrow as requested.
    Dianne

Old 10-23-2004, 06:11 AM   #14
    wdmoor
    (male)

wdmoor HB User

Hi mtngirl,

Are you in a lot of pain? How's your throat and shoulders? You aren't going to rush back to work are you? I felt like garbage at 11 days. I was up and around about but I couldn't doing anything. No driving, no lifting, and taking advil every day, and after a short while I was back in my reclining chair.

Old 10-23-2004, 09:08 AM   #15
    mtngirl62

mtngirl62 HB User

Sure I am still in pain, I have kept tract of the meds I am taking sincre I got out of the hospital. Started at taking them every 4 hours and am now up to every 6 to 6 1/2 hours between. There are times when I take them sooner because I have over done it. My roommate doesn't understand the limitations and isn't much help. I am flying one of my sons in to town, he will arrive this evening. I have to change collars to shower and I am embarrassed and sad to say I have only had one since geing released because roommate procrastinates helping me change it. I am unable to do it on my own. With my son here things should be better.
    I experience alot of pain in the upper part of my back and shoulder area I am not sure if it is just from wearing this aspen collar. I haven't had it off for 6 days as of this morning and that may be contributing. I encourage anyone preparing for this surgery to take up the offer of rehab stay unless they are certain of the assistance they will receive at home. I am experiencing alot of blurred vision stilll as well. I am a contact wearer but even blurry if I put on my glasses. I go back to the dr next Tue for follow up. The visit to dr last week was just to remove staples (which hurt). I received in the mail yesterday the forms I had to have my surgeon fill out for short ternm disability. It was interesting to read what he wrote.
    Lifting / Carrying 1-5 lbs
    Sitting 1hr max
    total time on feet 1 hr max
    standing 1 hr max
    walking 1 hr max
    no bending, squatting, stoopings, kneeling
    movement below r/l shoulder 30 mins max movement above r/l shoulder none
    patient should be able to return to full time work 1-3 months
    Physical impairment Class 5 - Severe limmitation of functional capacity incapable of minimum (sedentary) activity
    Decompressive laminectomy and fusion cervical approx 6 week incapacity
    necessary for employee to take work only intermeittently or to work less then full schedule as a result of condition
    additional treatments Physical Therapy 3x week / 6 weeks after 6 week recovery period
    unable to perform work until further evaluation with doctor 6 weeks after surgery.
    Keep in mind this is the same doctor that said I could go back to work 1 week after surgery as long a someone drove me. I guess just like you all said he was full of it. Just getting my hopes up I guess
    Well I am tired and sore setting here so will close and lay back down.
    Have a great day everyone
    Dianne

Closed Thread