It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• C5/C6--can it really cause all this?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-26-2004, 08:16 AM   #1
    tarheeldad
    (male)

tarheeldad HB User
    C5/C6--can it really cause all this?

two weeks ago I woke up with left arm from elbow to last three fingers completely numb. not pins and needles like "gone to sleep" but dead like numb. Thought I had slept wrong. Next night it was worse with weird pain in both shoulders through biceps and numbness in arms. Always happens in arms simultaneously and always while lying down or asleep. If I get up and walk around the house it eventually goes away though slight tingling remains in last three fingers and lingering weakness and pain in biceps. Dr. did EKG and said heart very strong. Have history of panic disorder, however, x-ray revealed significant deterioration of C5/C6 and Dr told me this was probably the cause of these pains. Does that make sense to anyone? Put me on Clelbrex and is setting up PT. Any words of advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2004, 08:21 AM   #2
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User
    Re: C5/C6--can it really cause all this?

The simple answer is yes.

C5-C6, pinching nerves can cause all of the symptoms you are describing.

I would ask for an MRI to see exactly what's going on.

Old 10-26-2004, 09:36 AM   #3
    solardust
    Veteran

solardust HB User

Yep, Dennis has that right, and really press for the MRI as quick as possible,cuz this can go both ways, you may have a very good chance of recovery,but....if its done wrong (pt)then pain could settle in that is unrelenting,so be aggressive ok, Take care let us know how ya do,Diana

Old 10-26-2004, 09:53 AM   #4
    wdmoor
    (male)

wdmoor HB User

Yes. I had the exact symptoms you are experiencing.

Several months ago my son and I went to the gym. I was an idiot and pushed my usual workout with the free weights much too hard trying to keep up with the 20yr olds. I woke up in the middle of the night in agony.

My shoulders were in firey pain, my hands and arms completely numb. I flopped around like a fish trying to sit up. The pain and numbness wore off, I went back to sleep, but a half-hour later it happened again. This went on night after night. I saw my MD, who recommended an MRI.

I'm very claustrophobic and hate MRI's, even open MRI's, but I was desperate enough to get one. The MRI gave me up, showing bone spurs and herniated discs in my neck.

I agree with dennisgb, ask for an MRI to see whats going on. PT, accupuncture and chiropractry were all contraindicated in my case...they would have made symptoms worse. Stay in touch and good luck.

Old 10-26-2004, 05:01 PM   #5
    tarheeldad
    (male)

tarheeldad HB User

Thanks for the replies. At least I feel that this is the real cause of what is happening and not some uinderlying vascular problem. Supposed to start with chiropractor on Thursday. Do you recommend that avenue prior to MRI?

Old 10-26-2004, 05:14 PM   #6
    thecraw
    (male)

thecraw HB User

I had similar symptoms as well with my C6/C7. I wouldnt be too keen at this stage to get any significant manipulation prior to an appointment with a NS. If you do in fact have a C5/C6 disc protrusion which is touching nerves (sounds like it) then Chiropractic work if done incorrectly can worsen the symptons.

After I went to a NS and had all the scans done I was comfortable with seeing someone for some chiro work. I just had some traction done to try to open up the vert and relief the nerves. I didnt have much success. I didnt want any 'neck cracking'. My disc has buldged back as well as sideways so the gap between the disc and my cord is miniscule and in some scans touching. An incorrect neck manipulation would'nt be nice to put it mildly.

If you are just walking in site unseen to a chiro I would probably advise against it.

I noticed the time of your post. What Country you in?

Old 10-26-2004, 05:45 PM   #7
    wdmoor
    (male)

wdmoor HB User

Hi thdad,
    I have no medical training whatsoever, and can only relate my own experience. I saw two nerosurgeons after my MRI. Both said physical therapy was useless in my case, and both were adamant that any kind of physical therapy was a waste of time. One NS said it could even aggravate my problem.

Both NS told me once the disc hits a certain state of deterioration no PT in the world will help.

That's my experience. I had the surgery 5 weeks ago. Good luck.

Old 10-27-2004, 05:43 AM   #8
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User

I would ask your doc to order an MRI before you go to chiro.

I went to chiro for 6 years before I finally did surgery and it worked well for me. I had MRI done so chiro knew what not to mess with.

Old 10-28-2004, 02:48 PM   #9
    boxer_dog_luv
    (female)

boxer_dog_luv HB User

Hi tarheel,

Your symptoms are so similar to mine; I had worsening symptoms until after 4 yrs. had C5-6 and C6-7 ACDF w/o plating on 6/30/04. My NS was superb; I have had a totally uneventful recovery. Year 3 it was laying down the left arm was numb, pins & needles, asleep feeling and I would get up during the night after max of 3 hrs. sleep and shake the arm, wander around, hoping to get normal feeling back. All of last year up until surgery, it would get numb at night and also upon setting my feet on the floor in the a.m., off and on all day and night--I was getting panicky that I would lose sensation and my arm may never wake up. I didn't have canal stenosis, only disc bulging. My MRI didn't look that bad but I sure felt rotten. I first presented to a chiro in 11/00 after waking up with a "crink" in the neck--felt like a good massage could work it. The chiro did x-rays and made up a medical-sounding dx to go with the symptoms. Anyhow, my symptoms were all left-sided pain, shoulder complaints but the MRI was diagnostically worse on the right side with the bulging disk. In 20/20 hind sight, I wish that I never saw a chiro. He did not have adequate diagnostic studies, such as the MRI, to make a complete and accurate dx. Who knows? For the 2+ yrs he spent cracking my neck always to the left side, it may have made my symptoms worse. From the many posts I have read on this board, please be careful when using chiropractors for your neck. I wish I had all the money that I spent on the chiro; in the end, it was to no avail, surgery was inevitable. Good luck!

Last edited by boxer_dog_luv; 01-29-2007 at 12:13 PM.

Old 10-28-2004, 05:19 PM   #10
    IzzyFuzzy

IzzyFuzzy HB User

My experience leads me to advise against chiropractic, in general. Over the years I have been to three or four of them without ANY help whatsoever. On the positive side, PT has been helpful to me - especially since the PT's I have seen have been very well trained and skilled (in my opinion).

In any case, I think you should have the MRI before you seek any physical treatment - although the MRI is not foolproof. If you are desperate for help before the MRI, traction of the neck by a PT or Osteopath may be a very good idea.

I hope your pain subsides soon.

Izzy

Old 11-10-2004, 10:18 AM   #11
    tarheeldad
    (male)

tarheeldad HB User

MRI results in: C6-7 disc/spur protrusion impinging on the ventral aspect of the cervical cord. Also, hemangioma in the T3 vertebral body. Not sure what that means. Anyway, given prednisone and PT for 3 weeks and Dr said if not 95% better by then he would refer me to NS. Any thoughts/advice would be really appreciated as the pain in my neck, head, etc. is driving me crazy. Also, exactly what is a T3 hemangioma? Dr. only left results on answering machine and called in prescription. Not talked with him in person yet.

Old 11-12-2004, 02:40 PM   #12
    Rolex
    (female)

Rolex HB User

I would not go to the chiropractor if I were you. It made mine worse and cost lots of money. I think they can cause some real damage. I would even be careful with the PT until I saw the neurosurgeon.

Closed Thread