It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• ACDF 4 months post op

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-05-2004, 09:15 AM   #1
    kolt

kolt HB User
    ACDF 4 months post op

Hello everyone. I saw this link in my bookmarks and thought I would drop in and tell everyone how I was doing. I am a little more that 4 months post op ( surgery was June 28th ) and I coulden't be better. I am back to all my normal activites. I saw the Doc last month and he said fusion looks great. All the restrictions have been lifted. I had some pain/numbness in my right arm and elbow for about 2-3 months post op but even that is mostly gone. Everyone has to make their own choice, but for me the surgery was the BEST thing I ever did. I went from 24/7 pain, little to no sleep, pain killers constantly. Now I hardly ever even think about it. I am very greatfull that it went so well and that I seem to be a success case. I wanted to let people know that with faith and a good doctor, you don't have to live life in pain. I hope everyone has the same success that I did.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2004, 08:40 PM   #2
    hoffta
    Inactive

hoffta HB User
    Re: ACDF 4 months post op

I am so jealous...I tried this summer to get someone to allow me to try an artificial disc. Unfortunately, I have so much disease in both the lumbar and cervical disc that I am not a candidate and they tell me never will be.

It is wonderful that you are having such a good experience! I hope everything continues to go well for you!

Old 11-07-2004, 04:00 PM   #3
    NervousMommy
    (female)

NervousMommy HB User
    Thumbs up Re: ACDF 4 months post op

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kolt
    Hello everyone. I saw this link in my bookmarks and thought I would drop in and tell everyone how I was doing. I am a little more that 4 months post op ( surgery was June 28th ) and I coulden't be better. I am back to all my normal activites. I saw the Doc last month and he said fusion looks great. All the restrictions have been lifted. I had some pain/numbness in my right arm and elbow for about 2-3 months post op but even that is mostly gone. Everyone has to make their own choice, but for me the surgery was the BEST thing I ever did. I went from 24/7 pain, little to no sleep, pain killers constantly. Now I hardly ever even think about it. I am very greatfull that it went so well and that I seem to be a success case. I wanted to let people know that with faith and a good doctor, you don't have to live life in pain. I hope everyone has the same success that I did.

Hello,

CONGRATULATIONS!

Nice to read a post with an OUTSTANDING recovery status!

I can only imagine how you are feeling! It has been over 18 months since
    I have felt NORMAL.

LONGING FOR A PAIN FREE LIFE--
    AS WELL AS LOOKING FORWARD TO RETURNING BACK
    TO MY HAPPY-GO-LUCKY LIFESTYLE!

I hope in FIVE months that I will be writing the same thing!
    I am going to be having my surgery the end of the month.

ACDF without Plating.
    TWO LEVEL...

Wish me luck!

GOD BLESS,
    Nervous Mommy

Old 11-07-2004, 07:16 PM   #4
    hoffta
    Inactive

hoffta HB User

Do you mean you had an artificial disc or a cervical fusion of the neck? If so how many levels?

Old 11-08-2004, 01:52 PM   #5
    kellyv

kellyv HB User
    ... deleted ...

Last edited by kellyv; 09-30-2005 at 06:53 PM.

Old 11-08-2004, 02:22 PM   #6
    thecraw
    (male)

thecraw HB User

Thanks for your post. Being only 5 days post op I enjoy reading a success story! Dont underestimate the impact a simple 5 min post will have on us going through it at the moment. It is just what I needed to hear.

Thank you

Old 11-08-2004, 08:01 PM   #7
    kolt

kolt HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gjzhoff
    Do you mean you had an artificial disc or a cervical fusion of the neck? If so how many levels?
    I had Cervical fusion with a plate and screws. One level c5-c6. For me 80-90% of the pain was gone as soon as I woke up from surgery. Like I said I did have some lingering pain In my right elbow and forearm for a few months after surgery. I aslo had muscle spasms for a couple months. I don't remember how long the spasams lasted, but they are gone now. It seemed worse if I played on the computer too long so I had to limit it for awhile. The post op pain was more of a tingling/numbness sensation than pain. My arm would get tired real easy for a few months too. It gets better every day, and the doc says it just takes time for the nerves to heal up. I wore an Aspen neck brace for 6 weeks post op and was off work for eight weeks. I hated that collar at first, but after awhile it got easier to cope with. I followed all the doctors orders durning the recovery period and I continue to work on strengthing my neck. I started walking during the first week post op and was up to 1 1/2-2 miles a day within a month or so. Walking really seemed to help not only with feeling stronger, but also to get outside and get some fresh air. Its easy to get depressed sitting on the couch all day. I got real depressed a few days after surgery complete with crying spells, and I haven't cried in years before that. My poor wife must of felt like she had 3 kids instead of 2 for the first month, but that too past. I don't mean to ramble on, but I wanted to share what happened to me, and the things I did to speed up the recovery. For those of you that just had surgery, or are having it soon. Do what your doctor tells you even if it feels like it will kill you. It won't I promiss. Take an active role in your own recovery. Start by walking ( if you doc says its ok ). I started by walking to the end of the street and back. And try to keep a positive attitude. That is easier said than done sometimes but try to keep your mind on the solution and not the problem. Tell yourself that you are strong and healthy even if you don't belive it. The power of prayer and a positive attitude has been documented to help the healing proces, and sometimes you just have to fake it till you make it. Good luck to all. No one deserves to live in pain. Life is just too damn short!!!

Closed Thread