It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• myelopathy diagnosis?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-08-2004, 04:45 PM   #1
    tintx

tintx HB User
    myelopathy diagnosis?

I hope everyone is feeling better today, and if not, this too shall pass. Has anyone received a diagnosis of myelopathy? Please share if you have, and thanks in advance. I'm just hoping someday I'll figure out what's causing some of my mixed array of symptoms, if not the cervical stenosis and compression.

My neuro, soon to join the others I've dropped or been dumped by, ha-ha, was noncomittal about anything he couldn't concretely identify on the cat scan or read off the radiology report. He doesn't mention anything about his standard neuro exam of me, e.g., reflexes or other clinical signs of myelopathy. I don't like it when drs are inscrutable, or unprepared for my visit, or too sleepy--am I too picky? So far, my cervical issues, by far the most concerning, were completely missed by 3 neuros over the course of two years (we were focused, including myself, below the waist, where there are problems NOT caused by a Tarlov cyst.) But hey, they're the neurologists, they should know to consider the neck area closely since it can affect parts below!

I hope things will be copacetic with the next dr I'm seeing (wow, a wait of only 1 week.) This surgeon is the only one I picked out on my own (a long time ago, but went with my reg dr's referral instead.) The neuro I'm lately quitting said he'd use this guy when I asked him. I've made a circle!
    I'm ready to have the surgery, Thanksgiving week if possible. I'll think of it as an unusual birthday present to myself, turning 51. I may not spin so positive after I'm all laid up (i hope I'll be able to enjoy eating holiday food even though I'm too plump), but I try to believe that things work out in their own way and time for a reason. I want to have the best, reasonable expectations I can. I've tried to do my part in this, and I'm actually ready to turn it over to a doctor who feels right.
    Thank you for listening, I'm a "talker," and I like reading your posts!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2004, 06:22 PM   #2
    Hobbes
    (female)

Hobbes HB User
    Re: myelopathy diagnosis?

Hi there - I was diagnosed with "early stage of myelopathy" due to herniated disk w/ bone spurs compressing spinal cord at c5-c6. My symptoms were: random migratory twitching in arms, legs, feet, trunk, basically anywhere below neck, deep muscle aches in arms and legs, unusual fatigue after even mild exercise, some cramping. I had brisk reflexes in one leg but not the other, as I recall. I opted for surgery too and had ACDF about 8 weeks ago. At this point, 90% of symptoms are gone and I'm thrilled. Felt like it took forever to get a diagnosis. All I did this past summer is go from doctor to doctor ... no fun at all! I switched neurologists too ... definitely hang in there until you get someone you feel comfortable with ... it took me a lot of research and phone calls. By pure luck, I did find a surgeon who was terrific. To his credit, he spent a good hour with me going over my films and the procedure ... and then another hour with me and my husband a week later. Hope all goes well for you. I agree ... this board is a terrific help.

Hobbes

Old 11-09-2004, 12:15 AM   #3
    aspen2cody

aspen2cody HB User

I was diagnois with myelopathy also. I had c5c6 herniated disc that was showing on the mri in contact with the cord. I never had any numbness or twitching anywhere. I had pain in shoulder blade, instablility in the shoulder ( which I still have)side deltoid muscle pain, bicep pain and wrist pain. My NS is still trying to figure out why Im having so much instablilty with my shoulder and now have swelling in my chest and under my arm pit. Plus I can hardly raise my arm with the palm side up. Shoulder MRI negetive, Post op cervical MRI negeative. More tests coming. Im so tired of this. I just want to move on.

Old 11-09-2004, 05:55 PM   #4
    tintx

tintx HB User

Thanks Hobbes and aspen2cody. H, I appreciate your support of my doctor search, now I have more of a standard to consider! And a2c, I hope you get the shoulder thing figured out soon, sorry about your swelling and arm-were you able to lift it before? I'll post my "myelopathy" symptoms next time for others to comment on if they want. Later, tintx

Closed Thread